12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Brake pedal goes to floor

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abs diverter

"patdaly". How does the diverter work on a 4X4 . I would also like someone to explain to me, as well as "JKM", how a brake booster works. And the symtoms of a bad booster.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
On the 4WABS models, the ABS module diverts brake fluid, and thus pressure back to the Master Cyl when a lockup is detected, but the 2WABS systems simply have a poppet seat leading to an accumulator right under the proportioning valve. If that gets a piece of debris, or fails to seal in some other fashion, it will drive you BONKERS figuring it out. You lose no fluid, depending on the mode of failure, sometimes you could have brakes, others the pedal is soft, I had problems at various times with Brownie and the valve, but it always straightened out and flew right before I changed the valve, so it sets in the glovebox with instructions to the new owner on when to install it. I killed Greenies valve with a panic stop that also took out a MC and a front brake hose. The MC and Brake Hose were easily diagnosed, but here again, the diverter valve kind of threw me......... Guess I am just not a modern enough mechanic for ABS stuff to register first and foremost.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:31 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
ABS is always a possibility, try unplugging it just for kicks. On an older S10 style blazer I narrowed down a real spongy pedal to the ABS by bypassing the unit with some adapters/unions from advance auto, they were the only ones around that had the right adapters. Ended up costing an extra $20, but at least I didn't get a new booster for no reason. Good luck.

Also, if by some chance there is just air in the ABS module it needs to be activated to be properly bled out, done by either hitting the brakes on a sand patch or with a good scan tool. Then bleed as normal again.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:29 PM

Pedal now spongy

I just took a trip from Laughlin NV. to Quartzite AZ., approx. 130 Miles. There was little change in the pedal feel going there. Comming home was a another story. The brake pedal is a lot harder, but there is a spongy feel now. It could be there was air in the ABS module, and now it is in a brake line, and can be bled out. I`m crossing my fingers. THANKS "gorms" I will repost when I get a chance to re-bleed my lines.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
ABS Brake Bleed Procedure> http://dodgeram.org/tech/repair/Brakes/beeding.htm
Old 09-09-2017, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by diesel96
I just took a trip from Laughlin NV. to Quartzite AZ., approx. 130 Miles. There was little change in the pedal feel going there. Comming home was a another story. The brake pedal is a lot harder, but there is a spongy feel now. It could be there was air in the ABS module, and now it is in a brake line, and can be bled out. I`m crossing my fingers. THANKS "gorms" I will repost when I get a chance to re-bleed my lines.

let me know if you found out the problem I'm having the exact same problem and I bleed everything and put a brand new MC on my 1995 cummins 4x4