12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Bought a different kind of truck today.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a different kind of truck today.......

Howdy fellas.Ive been a 3rd gen guy,so please be patient with me Picked up 1997 Ford F-250,4x4 today.Now before you run me out of here,let me inform you that its 12v Cummins powered... Thought that might get your attention,truck drives sweet,equipped with the 6 spd.I think im in love. Looks like its time to sell my 3rd gen.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a good find. Lets see some pics of the transplant.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:00 AM

No pics as yet Apache,the attending Doctor on the operation was Ken Imler,from Imlers Diesel in Sacramento.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:44 AM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thats not my old truck is it

I put alot of time and trial and error into that truck. i sold the truck last year to a guy in elkgrove who fixed the box did some other repairs etc, i was financially strapped from just moving from montana to california and had had my spare vehicle a jeep CJ 7 and all my tools along with most of my traveling money all stolen in one fail swoop right before i moved here so regretably that truck had to go when it came time to do a few high dollar repairs and to have a presentable piece of machinery for taking clients out in.

That guy in Elkgrove then sold it to ken who further had to fix up miles of use and hard work.

If that is my truck congrats its a good one. FYI it has a #10 plate in the pump with a HTT 60mm 6blade fan HX35/16. the intercooler is off of a 2000 superduty and the radiator is a 1994 ford 7.3 brass radiator witht eh waternecks swapped and 4 cores. the upper radiator hose is std dodge hose the lower had a slip sleeve and i used a std dodge lower hose turn 90 degrees down and combined with a tractor hose with the right bends and then just cut it to fit. the carquest tag should still be taped to the tractor hose. the AC compressor is dodge also.

I loved that truck it worked really well. as a side note thought the front and rear diffs are equipt with power lok lsds when you lock in the hubs the front posi had a minor pull to one side when cruising down the road. i could never figure it out. with an open diff it went perfectly straight with hubs locked. that is a 1990 F-350 front dana 60 the rear is a 1996 dodge dana 80 with modified dana 70hd power lok and ford ABS speed sensor inplace of the dodge speed sensor. Yes the rear end has the 30mm wheel cylinders
Old 05-05-2005, 11:27 AM

Jimminy Christmas! Talk about a small world! Yes,its your old truck,i fell in love after driving it,the short shift 6 speed made me happy to go standard again.Your info is invaluable to me,i much appreciate it,im still figuring out the small toggles in the dash area,and am going to familiarize myself with the winch toaday.Was the 6 speed your doing? I know it was rebuilt by Ken.The truck dynoed 330/650 ish,according to Ken.I was thru Sonoma last weekend,on the way back from Bodega Bay....Maybe some day we could meet and you could tell me some stories about the truck,assuming you'd want to.. Thanks again,Mark.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:43 AM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not a problem, torque sounds a little low, i had that thing dyno higher than that a few times but still a good setup, the plate was slid all the way forward at one point worked better about 3/4's forward. i also took the gsk out about 6 months before i sold it, i let my little brotehr drive and didnt want him tacking the thing out.

it got a new steering box about 70k miles before i sold it too.

the small toggle switches.... only one is hooked up the others were installed for accessories that i never installed, they just fit the interior realy well. the one that is hooked up is hooked to the gauge lights. when headlights are on you can dim the cab lights but not the gauges so i wired it so i could black out the gauges and the cab for the long all night drives.

the winch is a pto winch and isnt hooked up last i had it. the welder who built the bumper goofed and the previous winch busted a bolt and bent the mount so i do not like the way it is mounted right now. Ken should have the PTO that i sold with the truck, it is supposed to be installed onto the NP 205 t-case. But before i was going to do that i was looking for a different crossmember for the tranny. The winch was going to need a good driveline shop to come up with the right alighnment for the pto drivelines. I wanted PTO again for heavy duty pulling but after the winch busted the mount i decided to just install the winch and not the PTO until i had time to pay someone to rebuild a better mount in the bumper. never happened, i sold the truck.

a stock ford E4OD crossmember for that truck looked like a perfect drop and match even looked like the stock bolt holes would work. alot better than the single bolt setup i originally spaced down and used, which worked perfect for the 5spd and bolted to the frame but the 6spd needed to be spaced down to clear the cab which turned it into just a setup that worked not what i should have done and i never quit running long enough to finish it the right way. the rear tank is 30 gallons but i never liked the mount the previous owner built. i seriously contemplated having a custom solid steel tank built for that space.. a better fit and more capacity, i was quoted 400 at one point for a good custom built bolted in SS setup at about 36 gallons but that was 2 years ago now.

Not a problem i will always chat about that truck i loved it and hated selling it as parts for 10k when i did but need cash ASAP and at the time there were a fair number of repairs it needed.

PM me i'll send you my number.