Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   Blue wire to Fuel Shutoff Solenoid (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/blue-wire-fuel-shutoff-solenoid-229748/)

shorthair 01-15-2009 03:50 PM

Blue wire to Fuel Shutoff Solenoid

I don't see a "blue" wire except a 14 gauge one that changes to red/blact stripe in about 6" but I do have a pair of about 4-6 gauge wires in a comon ring terminal that looks factory. Those go down to a large junction then into the wiring loom, color looks black but it might be dark blue would this be the wire for the relay ? Also I have 2 relays on the firewall side by side are they both for the FSS if so does anyone know which is the pull & which is the hold ?[coffee]

GAmes 01-15-2009 05:31 PM

There in only ONE relay involved with the fuel solenoid. It's for the pull up coil. The big one on the firewall. The hold coil is low current and connected directly to the ignition on circuit. Allied sells a 70 amp relay (the stock relay is 70 amps) for less than $10, but you have to pay shipping. It's at NTE Electronics, Inc. - R51-1D70-12 - Allied Electronics. The blue fusible link is attached to the red/blk wire.

BTW, the other is for the fuel heater. You need to use the search every now and then. This was answered just 10 days ago. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=228246

shorthair 01-15-2009 05:37 PM

GAmes thanks it does make more sense now. the blue lead is fairly small maybe 10-12 gauge & about 4-6" long then changes to the red w/black stripe. It did have some corresion on it cut 'er back 1/2" much cleaner but not perfect.

infidel 01-15-2009 07:15 PM

The blue section is a 65 amp fusible link.

shorthair 01-16-2009 05:53 AM

How far can it be safely cut back then ?

infidel 01-16-2009 10:36 AM

Not very far.
Just buy a new fusible link, about $4 at Napa

shorthair 01-16-2009 10:37 AM

Thanks looks like I should get one.

Fueling around 01-16-2009 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by shorthair (Post 2351268)
I don't see a "blue" wire except a 14 gauge one that changes to red/blact stripe in about 6" but I do have a pair of about 4-6 gauge wires in a comon ring terminal that looks factory. Those go down to a large junction then into the wiring loom, color looks black but it might be dark blue would this be the wire for the relay ? Also I have 2 relays on the firewall side by side are they both for the FSS if so does anyone know which is the pull & which is the hold ?[coffee]

The pair of #6 wires go to those relays and control the intake air (grid) heaters

shorthair 01-16-2009 02:31 PM

John
Thanks I was about to conclude that since I couldn't find anything else that big for them to feed.

Just4Smoke 04-28-2009 12:49 AM

Not to change the subject here but when fixing the blue wire for the fuel shutoff I also noticed a completely corroded off orange wire at the battery. Well it wasn't COMPLETELY off but when I pulled, it quickly became completely off. Anyways my question is what is this for? It goes changes into a short black section then to red with a green stripe before disappearing into the wiring harness at the same point as the blue wire. I'm going to fix it and hook it back up but I hate not knowing what I'm hooking up.

GAmes 04-28-2009 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Farkum (Post 2464407)
Not to change the subject here but when fixing the blue wire for the fuel shutoff I also noticed a completely corroded off orange wire at the battery. Well it wasn't COMPLETELY off but when I pulled, it quickly became completely off. Anyways my question is what is this for? It goes changes into a short black section then to red with a green stripe before disappearing into the wiring harness at the same point as the blue wire. I'm going to fix it and hook it back up but I hate not knowing what I'm hooking up.

I'll save you the effort of scrolling all the way back to Post #2. It goes to the fuel heater.

Just4Smoke 04-29-2009 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by GAmes (Post 2465067)
I'll save you the effort of scrolling all the way back to Post #2. It goes to the fuel heater.

A. Don't be an ***.
B. I had read that and I thought you were talking about the other relay on the firewall (next to the shutoff solenoid relay) not the other wire coming off the battery.

Lary Ellis (Top) 04-29-2009 11:13 AM

Lose the attitude here fellows, absolutely no need for it here.

infidel 04-29-2009 02:13 PM

See if you can find it on this diagram.
You may have to save it to your computer to enlarge
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/u...re_diagram.jpg

Just4Smoke 04-29-2009 10:51 PM

That wiring diagram is great. I can see it with no problems on the forums but I stored it to my computer anyways incase I need it again some day. GAmes I was not trying to be mean.... or stupid. I simply misread what you were saying in the second post or I would not have asked. At least i didn't start a whole new thread to ask!