12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Block Heater Cord Shock

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Block Heater Cord Shock

When I plug in my block heater, especially when damp out, I'm getting a little shock and it will blow my garage GFI breaker after awhile.

From your experience, is it usually just a bad cord or can the heater itself short out?

Thanks guys...
Old 02-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stinson Pilot
When I plug in my block heater, especially when damp out, I'm getting a little shock and it will blow my garage GFI breaker after awhile.

From your experience, is it usually just a bad cord or can the heater itself short out?

Thanks guys...
If you're getting zapped, it's the cord.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you are in need of a new cord.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If I plug in when my plug, which hangs out the front of bumper is covered with ice or snow slop I'll get a little zap and the connection steams till the moisture is gone.
No GFIs for me. My feeling is they're great for bathrooms and near the kitchen sink but are just a PITA outside.

Rather than get zapped I just unplug the extension cord till after the heater is plugged in at the wet truck. Then plug in the extension cord, which is dry.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:10 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by infidel
If I plug in when my plug, which hangs out the front of bumper is covered with ice or snow slop I'll get a little zap and the connection steams till the moisture is gone.
No GFIs for me. My feeling is they're great for bathrooms and near the kitchen sink but are just a PITA outside.

Rather than get zapped I just unplug the extension cord till after the heater is plugged in at the wet truck. Then plug in the extension cord, which is dry.
code requirement is (for new construction) outside outlets will be gfci protected
Old 02-17-2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by johnh
code requirement is (for new construction) outside outlets will be gfci protected
If you have a code.
No codes, or at least no inspectors in Montana.
No zoning either.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:21 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
No code out in the boonies in Mo. either. You can build anything you're man enough to build with no guv'mint interference, except the septic tank has to be installed by a licensed septic contractor.

Ditto plugging the truck into the extension cord and THEN plugging the extension cord into the outlet.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:55 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Wear some gloves when you plug it in.

I disagree on GFI's being just a PITA, from experience. I got nailed pretty good off of an (older) sawzall outside, was cutting the old exhaust hangers off the truck and I got hung up, laying on just damp gravel driveway. I've been shocked a hundred times at work, with higher voltages at times, but that hurt the worst, couldn't let go. Just FWIW.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:10 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm smart about a lot of things, but electricity is not one of them. I try to defer to more knowledgeable people whenever possible and I try to play it safe around anything stronger than 12VDC.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been an electrician for 20 years and to those of you not using a GFI out side it is only a matter of time , your gona get it ,this just opens the questions what other silly / life threating things are you doing in the run of a day . 120V causes the most deaths of any voltage , yes because it is the most common but more so because of peoples ignorance to it and not taking it seriously enough.It only takes 5 milliamps to kill ya. I wonder if this guy is still walking around on this earth or did natural selection get him by now.

http://onemansblog.com/wp-content/up...er_In_Pool.jpg
Old 02-20-2012, 12:19 PM

Way I see it the human race survived just fine even when all the outlets were just two prongs with no ground.
Nanny state now tells you to install your three prong outlets upside down.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:54 PM

Ha Ha .....remember they made them code for a reason , it wasn't because they look cool .

There is no correct way by code here in Canada ( which is one of the strictest out there) on what way a receptical shoud be installed . The reasoning for installing ground side up is if you have a metal cover plate on the recepticle and it becomes loose and falls down , it will hit the ground first instead of resting on the hot prong of the plug and becoming energized possibly electrocuting the next unsuspecting person that touches it . If you are using a plastic cover plate this really has no benifit in mounting it with the ground up..
Old 02-22-2012, 08:27 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I get the reasoning behind it. Makes sense I guess.
Buuutt..... lol
Who uses metal covers anymore? On a house?
If a metal cover became loose and fell off (never seen that happen before), it would fall against the live and neutral - which goes to ground - short it out and flip the breaker. No more shock... Guess it could start a fire though, if you had enough gas laying around .
Plus I have used receptacles upside down before and the cords never want to stay plugged in unless the receptacle and plugin are new. I guess that's another thing they want - everything to stay new.... Kinda unrealistic though.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:25 PM

Problem I hate with having the outlets upside down is it makes most most close to the wall 90° cords goofy having the wire go up.
Pretty much defeats the whole purpose.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:46 PM

Yes, they mostly make cords to hang with ground down. I mount all mine ground down , although there is a always a chance of a metal cover coming off and slanting to one side and just hit the hot only ( stranger things have happened) . Some examples where this may be a concern would be like a generator or any type of moble equip. that vibrates with metal cover plates. Not much of a concern if your using metal plates in your garage , house etc....I wouldn't think.