12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Best transmission builder in Pacific NW??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best transmission builder in Pacific NW??

Once we get the basic necessities (KPD this weekend! fuel plate is next!) done on our truck, we need to start saving toward a "real" work truck tranny.... we want to stay with an auto, but need to have one that will be long lived and reliable in use. Our trucks are hauling heavy loads - equipment trailers or big horse trailers - about 90% of the time, and they need to be bulletproof.

Any references to GOOD shops or builders would be greatly appreciated. We are north of Seattle. Also, places to stay away from - also appreciated!
Old 07-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Banned

This is easy DDP for sure
Old 07-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd have to say DTT.
http://www.dieseltrans.com/dodge/index.htm

There located in Ferndale, and there reputation is one of the best, right there with Goerand and others.

DTT
6213 Portal Way
Ferndale, WA 98248
1-866-504-4002
Old 07-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would pile on for DTT as well.. Been around a long time and have had a good reputation. Talk to Bill or Stephen, they will get the right mix for your budget so don't get sticker shock on their price sheet.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:48 PM

dunrite converters is also up there somwhere. i couldn't be happier with their products.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:11 PM

If you want the best, cross the border into Chilliwack BC and go to a place called TPS. Steve will treat you the best and build one great tranny. PM me if you want contact info.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan
If you want the best, cross the border into Chilliwack BC and go to a place called TPS. Steve will treat you the best and build one great tranny. PM me if you want contact info.
This has to be the guy my son said he was getting his transmission from - which now won't happen until after his deployment is over.

Brendan, you have a PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:35 PM

NO question marks!

It's unanimous, Diesel Transmission Technology in Abbotsford BC is the best transmission builder in the NW.

http://www.dieseltrans.com/

Heck, they may be the best on the North American continent!

After many phone and email exchanges (thank you Shanti, for being so patient, so knowledgable, and helpfully informative!) we took our truck up to the DTT shop in Abbotsford yesterday bright and early. Bill had our transmission built and ready to go - DTT's mechanic did the timing and tweaks, then Stefan and his shop crew spent a few hours removing the dead hulk and putting in our brand new wowzer kick-butt tranny.

I will do a shameless brag here - these people gave us some of the finest customer service ever, we were treated incredibly well. This shop is a real class act in every way, we could not be happier with the product or the install. Best fun part was that they remembered seeing my initial post here! The DTT folks are a super family-owned and operated business, and their product line and R&D side is outstanding as well. I can heartily recommend them to anybody lookng for a great tranny - and yes, they ship all over the world.

Kate
Old 02-27-2008, 02:42 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
I'll also say Dunrite. Tony know's his......stuff. He really does know how to build a tranny for Dodge Cummins trucks. And he's up near you. He's in Vancuover.
http://dunriteconverters.com/index.html
Old 02-27-2008, 06:23 PM
TB1

I just had Steve Troyan at TPS in Chilliwack do mine a couple of weeks ago couldn't be happier great guy good warranty and his prices are very reasonable. His number is 1-877-702-1050 give him a call and tell him what you want to do he won't oversell you anything.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:55 PM

Ultimate Transmission in Boise, ID

Dave of Ultimate Transmission in Boise ID gets my vote. He and Opie have incorporated the "proven" mods with some really innovative things in their transmissions.

Dave is a super nice guy to deal with. He can be reached at 208-631-2133. If you give him a call tell him Chris with TNT sent ya, or if i can answer any questions feel free to ask.

Chris
Old 02-27-2008, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by TB1
I just had Steve Troyan at TPS in Chilliwack do mine a couple of weeks ago couldn't be happier great guy good warranty and his prices are very reasonable. His number is 1-877-702-1050 give him a call and tell him what you want to do he won't oversell you anything.
There is NO question that Steve "can" build a great tranny, the question is "will" he? He has burned a few people I know badly, but he has also made a few I know very happy! Steve comes with baggage, ask yourself if you can deal with it!
Good luck to ya!!
Old 02-28-2008, 01:17 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Guys, she doesn't need any more suggestions...look up ^ She found one and already had it installed
Old 02-28-2008, 06:36 AM

It pays to check post dates before replying...
Old 02-29-2008, 09:48 AM

No sweat, guys, all that happened was a lot of good suggestions for other parts of the NW!

For the ladies out there in DTR land ( I KNOW there are a few of us) DTT is one of the very few places I have been that doesn't give you the "dumb broad" approach. Being a lifelong wrencher from a loooong line of mechanics, if I walk into a shop (no matter how well recommended!) and the guys give me that snuffy superior attitude (what could SHE possibly know about this highly technical mechanical stuff!) I won't give them my business. Ever.

At DTT, head lady Shanti walked me through everything they do to build a performing tranny - and she knows her stuff! From a regular work truck tranny to the ultra high performance applications (have you guys checked out their RACE CARS??!?) she knows the ins and outs as well as the guys who build and install them. That Bill is one lucky man to have a wife like her.

JMHO.
Kate

Quick Reply: Best transmission builder in Pacific NW??