12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Bellflower Transmission in So. Cal.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:24 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Bellflower Transmission in So. Cal.

I got some adjustments, and a VB spring replaced, and service done on my ATS Stage IV trans on Thursday, and I took it to Bellflower Transmission, in Artesia, Cal. Great shop! It's been owned by the same family for over 50 years. It was clean inside, and the owner, Larry, and his guys look you in the eye and do what they say they are going to do.

Larry, and Bob his rebuilder, have been doing ATS rebuilds since about 2001 or 2002. Anyway, they've done over One Million dollars worth of ATS rebuilds in that time--that's a lot of Stage IV's and TripleLoks and Five Stars!

He told me the story of how he came to do ATS rebuilds. Back in about 2001 he had a customer who wanted him to install a TripleLok torque converter in his Dodge/Cummins. Larry said he would do it, and when the customer showed up with the TC, Larry asked him how much he had paid for it. The guy said, $1,200. And after the customer left, Larry and Bob laughed their rear-ends off--how could anyone be so stupid as to pay so much money for a TC? Well they installed the TripleLok, and took the truck out for a test drive... and they were mightily impressed with what the truck could do. So impressed that they called Clint, at ATS, and applied to be installers. If anybody in So. Cal. wants a good shop to do an ATS rebuild, these are THE GUYS!
Old 08-18-2010, 12:46 AM
vrj

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It was a pleasure dealing with Larry and Bob at Bellflower Transmissions.

Just got my truck back today after Larry and Bob worked on my truck trying to diagnose a problem after they installed an Stage 4 ATS transmission (Billet Flywheel, 5-Star Torque Converter, Billet Input Shaft, High Perferformance Valvebody/Pump msic, Commander Lockup Controller and my own Mag Hytec trans. pan).

They really worked hard trying to solve a problem wherein the truck would start in 3rd gear after the new transmission was installed (I had the same problem with my Dodge Ram transmission). They had to shut it off in neutral and then restart to get it to shift correctly but it didn't last. It went back to 3rd gear starts.

The PCM showed NO CODES whatsoever !!! Weird, very weird !!! They could'nt even induce a code. I used my Smarty, no codes. They used their Snap On tool and again, no codes. I then paid a shop to check it with the DRBIII scanner from Chrysler and still no codes but the transmission was still starting in 3rd gear !!!

I have an extra PCM that was installed to check to see if the problem was the PCM and we still got 3rd gear starts.

ATS transmission sent a new complete valve body via overnight air at no charge and after switching the electronics over to the new valve body the problem still existed.

They eventually dropped the pan a 3rd time and began testing the wiring and sensors, solenoid and grounds and found that the new GPS was bad from the first valvebody. They updated the valvebody electronics and now I'm rolling. I thought that there might have been an exposed wire somewhere ... Glad that was not the case !!!

Many thanks to Rick at ATS for his help with the parts sent overnight as well as being available afterhours helping troubleshoot my problem with Larry & Bob.

Also, many thanks to Larry and Bob at Bellflower transmission for their tireless work. They are very knowlegeable and give excellent service.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:17 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Somebody was asking about a Transmission shop in So. Cal. recently. Ditto on Bellflower trans being a great transmission shop.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:44 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Inglewood's supposed to be good also. I'm glad everything's working now,but after owning an auto last truck,I'm thankful I ordered a manual on this truck.