12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Beating a dead horse...but?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 03:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Beating a dead horse...but?

Allright, I did a bunch of searching for the lockup switch. This is what I know-PCM grounds L/U solenoid via black/orange wire (B11?) so I was thinking I could just run a parallel ground through a switch to lock up whenever I would please. Then I hear something about jumping the trans relay, and placing a resistor in the solenoid circuit...true?

If I have to jump the relay out, (I assume just jump the N/O terminals) do I leave the relay out? Am I in the ballfield here? I read through pages of peoples problems, questions, PCM flashing and dead old links. Any enlightenment is toasted to.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The L/U solenoid is controled by the relay , the relay is controled by the PCM , the PCM does ground the coil in the relay , witch closes the points , the points run the higher current to the L/U solenoid .
Does that help ?
Old 01-10-2007, 04:15 PM

I think that helps...if thats the case could I forget about the wire at the solenoid and just tap a switched ground to the control side of the relay, which in theory would energize relay, close contacts, and energize solenoid when my auxilary switch is closed?

PS I don't care about idiot lights, pressure switches, etc. I just wanna accelerate to 40 without so much pedal.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:25 PM

COme one guys I KNOW somebody has a clue if this would work. Would it confuse the PCM?

One more question- While I was under the truck the other day I unplugged a connecter, 2 wire, in the OD unit I think, drivers side, bottom of tranny, not the P/N safety switch, and forgot to plug it back in. The only difference I noticed in driving was the first few seconds of driving the truck after it had been off it would hang out in 1st gear for about 6-10 seconds, which ****** off the guy I pulled in front of.
What is this connector? I still had lockup in 3rd at about 25 under light throttle and in 4th at 45, almost any throttle. After the first hesitant upshift it would shift completely normal. Just curious.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:38 PM

http://www.tstproducts.com/Torque%20...p%20Switch.pdf

Follow that link, and it will work flawlessly. I have donea few of them with no problems.

Eric
Old 01-13-2007, 05:57 PM

HI Gorms,

Your right on how it works, the PCM grounds the TC lock Solenoid in the valve body.

Yes, you can run a parallel ground no trouble thru a switch. Just remember to disconnect when you slow down!!!

I think Infidel still has a copy of my diagram in his album?, I used relays and lights, and also added a horn (thru a diode) so I did not forget to unlock,,, drives my wife crazy :-). I ran the TC lock poewer thru a relay to turn the light on and found that the relay I was using drew the voltage down in the circuit and the TC lockup could act up.

Cheers
Old 01-13-2007, 07:51 PM

So you can actually make the TC L/U in 1st and throughout its shift pattern?
Old 01-13-2007, 08:07 PM

Just 3rd on OD you can get the TC lock on,,, unless you modify the valve body for a second gear lock up.

Problem is slowing down sometimes you an get the TC lock at slower speeds and start to buck the truck. With a fifth wheel it's not a good thing :-)
Old 01-14-2007, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
using this link,

http://www.tstproducts.com/Torque%20...p%20Switch.pdf

I tried installing a lockup switch in my 96. It only works for a few minutes and then I loose it and it will not shift into OD. Also, I loose the LED light in the OD switch.

I tried it with the jumper wire in the relay as described. I also tried it with the relay in place and it only works for a short time before I loose it.

If I shut the truck off, pull the jumper wire and reinstall the stock relay, everything works fine again (except the lockup switch).

The instructions have a note in there about a dealer reflash but my syptoms don't match there description of hunting between 3rd and 4th and lockup.

I'm sure i've got the B11 wire in the center plug and I made a short 2" long jumper wire with 2 male spade connectors for a good connection at the relay.

any ideas?
Old 01-14-2007, 12:27 PM

look at the production date, mine falls in that grey few months that the switch wont work properly. Yours is probly the same
Old 01-14-2007, 12:43 PM

yea, i looked at that before I started. it does fall there (12/95)

it says in the instructions that the old program on some will hunt between 3 and 4 and lockup.

mine seems to just shutdown and loose electrical power.

????
Old 01-14-2007, 01:54 PM

Ok, took it for a ride and with the jumper wire in the relay, I can quickly lock and unlock with the switch. If I leave the switch in the lock position say for more than 3 seconds, it locks in and will not unlock unless you turn the truck off.

with the relay installed, I can quickly lock and unlock but when left locked for more than 3 seconds it unlocks and goes into "limp mode" until you turn the truck off.

I don't plan on using the lockup except for downhill towing etc.

so, I guess I need that #04886926 flash?

where do they flash that in at? knee bolster or behind the air cleaner?
Old 01-16-2007, 08:28 PM

Thanks guys it worked like a charm. Haven't worked any safety elements into it yet, wanted to make sure it would work. Truck is quite a bit faster 30-60 now too, I wouldn't trust my tranny to try locking it at full throttle into 3rd, although tempting...maybe just once.