12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Bad blow by after valve springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd sure check the turbo before fart'n with anything else. Let her run a few seconds before activating brake. They make fancy manometers for this but a bucket work too. Keep the end submerged
Old 03-14-2010, 06:57 PM

I will try that. Is it just the oil supply line you submerge in the bucket of oil?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kiff
I will try that. Is it just the oil supply line you submerge in the bucket of oil?
Sorry. Its the gravity return line that comes off the bottom of the turbo.

I may have spoke with out thinking about the time it takes to do this. I have a return line flange that I keep to check this.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:46 PM

Bump,..just wonder if you figgered it out yet?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:21 AM

No i haven't tested the turbo, but it does sound like the culprit. Wondering if the rebuild kits on ebay for $80 or so are good parts? I don't have a extra turbo to rob the drain flange to make a spare
Old 04-01-2010, 10:39 AM

Not sure if it's proper but one thing that you can do is cut your oil return line along the part that runs at a 45* angle, towards the block. Cutting it at that spot will allow for you to slip a rubber hose on,and route to a bucket. Keep in mine that while the motor is running, your emptying the engine of oil.

Then add a second piece of hose to the return line.

You could also remove oil filter and try to slide a piece of hose on at the normal hose connection but the best I remember, its makes a very tight kink in the rubber and it won't gravity flow very well. I suppose you might be able to cut a inch or two, off the end of the tube and just use a longer piece of hose to replace the removed pipe.

How ever you do it, remove it from the motor before cutting, so no metal cutting's go on down the return.

As far as products off of internet, I have no clue. I buy my stuff from local places and never pay to much attention to the cost.

I'll bet someone else on this board has been down this road and maybe their is a good thread on turbo rebuilds and cost.

I never have to much luck with the search button,...anybody know a good thread?

Last edited by OneBigDoofus; 04-01-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: spelt rong
Old 04-03-2010, 06:44 AM

this is a very interesting post. My poor old beast has close 400,000 on the stock turbo. I have been noticing alot of blow by, and just figured it was the miles and the abuse the truck has taken. But when i kill the truck, if i listen to the turbo spool down, it sounds rough, and kinda out of balance. Could i be on to something like a bad turbo bearing, or seals? There is not alot of oil comsumption, just leaks from the vacuum pump.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bgflatbed
this is a very interesting post. My poor old beast has close 400,000 on the stock turbo. I have been noticing alot of blow by, and just figured it was the miles and the abuse the truck has taken. But when i kill the truck, if i listen to the turbo spool down, it sounds rough, and kinda out of balance. Could i be on to something like a bad turbo bearing, or seals? There is not alot of oil comsumption, just leaks from the vacuum pump.
With those miles on it i would think it should be a wise investment in preventative maintenance to put a kit in it or have a professional rebuild on it if it is getting worn.

Check your shaft play, spin it by hand, is it free and smooth turning and look for any oil on the wheels or in the housing.

If it breaks and comes apart you could feed the engine with shrapnel and damage it as well
Old 04-03-2010, 10:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rattlerbob5.9
With those miles on it i would think it should be a wise investment in preventative maintenance to put a kit in it or have a professional rebuild on it if it is getting worn.

Check your shaft play, spin it by hand, is it free and smooth turning and look for any oil on the wheels or in the housing.

If it breaks and comes apart you could feed the engine with shrapnel and damage it as well
I don't think that any shrapnel that can actually make it through the aftercooler can do any serious damage. It would be different if it was non intercoooled. However it is much wiser, easier and economical to rebuild the turbo before it destroys itself.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by dguru
I don't think that any shrapnel that can actually make it through the aftercooler can do any serious damage. It would be different if it was non intercoooled. However it is much wiser, easier and economical to rebuild the turbo before it destroys itself.
I would agree it is not a big threat but yes it is possible and to me not worth the chance.

Also it would be a real pain and a big mess to try to clean out of the cooler.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:20 PM

so if i have a bad seal in the turbo, could that be some of the blowby?
Old 04-10-2010, 05:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it is safe to rule out the turbo. If the turbo seals were bad it would be leaking oil into the intercooler or the exhaust. It would not cause any significant blowby even with the exhaust brake on.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:49 AM

hi
so there is no way the preasure of the turbo can blow into the oil return of the turbo and into the engine crankcase ???
Old 04-12-2010, 09:36 PM

Wonder where dguru went?