12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

anyone ever swaped from an auto tranny to a 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone ever swaped from an auto tranny to a 5 speed

I was just wondering if anyone here has done this swap If so how difficult was it I know I will need a flywheel, clutch, bell housing, transmission and other parts what I would like to know how difficult the clutch master cyl and the pedal is to install.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:30 PM

Re:anyone ever swaped from an auto tranny to a 5 speed

I've not done this in a CTD, but I done it many times in chebby gassers.<br>The best thing to do if at all possible is to find a wrecked one in the bone yard and get all parts nessesary to do the job from ONE truck. That way if you are not that famillier with the process. You can be sure to get everthing.<br>Remember you've got to change pedals, clutch switches, Steering collum ect. ( if you chose to ), not sure if floor pan ( hump ) is removeable or you have to cut a hole in it. Master cylender and pedals are easy if you have everything.<br>Not trying to discourage you, just make sure you have all you need before you start.<br><br> : Eddie : 8)
Old 11-26-2002, 09:33 PM

Almost forgot check your mounts and both drive shaft lenghts.<br><br><br> : Eddie : 8)
Old 11-26-2002, 09:36 PM

I have done this before on chevys and fords but not a dodge the simplest was my 86 f250 diesel it was a easy bolt in swap. Matt
Old 11-27-2002, 11:30 AM

I looked into doing the same thing when I had my tranny problems. It is very expensive to do it correctly (shifter, steering column, Brake/clutch pedal assy, Instrument cluster, etc...). It's a lot less expansive to install an aftermarket auto that's nearly bulletproof. Or if your real tight, you can change the TC &amp; VB - like I did.
Old 11-27-2002, 02:08 PM

well My friend can get a 5spd tranny for 800.00 and he found a gasser 2500 spd 4x4 without a tranny that had been wrecked for 1,000. All the parts are good in the truck me and him went and looked. Would the stuff on the gasser be the same as on our ctd's?<br>Thanks Aaron<br>
Old 12-08-2002, 12:27 AM

I'm getting ready to change mine out done some researce trans mount is longer drive shaft is longer ( front half ) I looked at 2 or 3 dif trucks some had big drive shafts some had small I'm going big ,already installed pedels removed most of the dash to get it in ( not as bad as it sounds ) removed my heater &amp; a/c box cleaned my A/C coils out in the process lots of crud thats the reason for the water in my floor 2 for one special, clutch master cyl bolts to fire wall trough pedals mount every thing else looks a breeze we'll find out. 1997 1-ton turned up and ****** off!! ( I pull 28000 #s )
Old 12-08-2002, 09:19 AM

State line Keep me posted on how this goes did you have to change the pedal mount I know you you do on fords but this one looks like they are the same except for the pivot shaft and the pedals? Any idea what the computer will do when the tranny is no longer hooked to it? Matt
Old 12-08-2002, 06:08 PM

removed the dash to get to pedals and yes you have to replace the whole thing it looks the same but where the clutch master cly goes trough the fire wall does not have the bolt holes on an auto pedals to mount it to!!
Old 12-08-2002, 07:03 PM

state line what year is your truck I looked at mine compared to another with a 5 speed and they look identical on the five speed it does not look like it uses bolts to hold the master cyl it looks like you would stick it in the hole and turn 1/4 turn and put a keeper in it to hold it in position. mine looks exactly like it. mine is a 95 and I compared it to a 97
Old 12-08-2002, 09:10 PM

mine is a 97, with auto still in it were in the process of changing it out we have changed the pedals aready and going trough the 5-speed before we install. did you say yours is an auto or 5-speed
Old 12-08-2002, 09:23 PM

Mine is an auto but I compared it to a 97 and I could not see how the master cyl would bolt in as I stated before it looked like it went into the pedal mount and turned a little and then there was a keeper that held it in place. I could be wrong but that is how it appeared the plate that the pedals mounted to appeated identical. Do you have any idea what the computer is going to do when it does not find the auto hooked up? Do you know the length of the 5 speed from the bellhousing to the tail of the transfer case is? I would really like to do this but I am beginning to have second thoughts. Matt
Old 12-08-2002, 10:06 PM

it looks the the same but dont let it fool you it will have to be changed the rod that comes trough the fire wall has a keeper on it to hold it to the pedal but the master cly. bolts trough the fire wall trough the pedal assembly then the rod clips on to the clutch pedal, it looks like you can pull the rod holding the brake to the assembly and install the new brake and clutch pedals not so tried that wont work. the biggestpainis installing the new pedals after that it should be down hill if you need any hints on how to get the dash out let me know.as far as the computer whats itgoing to do not tell the trans when to shift thats what your for now.it will set an engine code and you will get tired of seeing the light so you'll more than likly change it out for manual comp. not sure of length but you will need the 5-speed trans mount it is longer than the auto!