Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   96 no start (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/96-no-start-132498/)

Savage_Racing 01-16-2007 03:54 PM

96 no start

My 96 12v won't start, crank is slow like batteries are dead but they where new in July. Seems like only when its cold it's very hard to start. WHY does it do this and HOW can I fix this?

TIMMY22 01-16-2007 04:11 PM

1. dry rotted fuel lines.

2. bad lift pump.

3. bad overflow valve.

4. shut off solenoid, out of adjustment.

5. batteries

6. slipped timing.

7. grid heaters not cycling

any one of these or a combination of any will cause symptoms.

floridadieselki 01-16-2007 04:12 PM

when you try to start, does it "click", for lack of a better word, like the batteries are dead? if so, a started rebuild is on the way. just did mine the day after christmas. is a easy job to do, just some akward positions when trying to work get it in/out.

dieselfuelonly 01-16-2007 05:01 PM

Do you have a block heater? (Not sure if they are stock in the US or not...). If so try plugging it in for a while, and then see if it starts right up, it should.

Racer9 01-16-2007 05:11 PM

Are you using 15W40 motor oil. It's very thick at cold temps, try synthetic oil.

Could be starter contacts, very common; http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/default.htm

Are you sure the batteries are fully charged? Possibly faulty alternater not fully recharging batteries.

Check all battery cables and connections, including grounds.

Plug in the block heater, that'll help too.

Savage_Racing 01-16-2007 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by TIMMY22 (Post 1303095)
1. dry rotted fuel lines.

2. bad lift pump.

3. bad overflow valve.

4. shut off solenoid, out of adjustment.

5. batteries

6. slipped timing.

7. grid heaters not cycling

any one of these or a combination of any will cause symptoms.

What if the grid heaters where coming on when they are not needed? wouldn't that cause a large draw on a battery when not neccessary?
is there a relay or some other trigger wire I can unplug

The truck runs fine and starts fine in warm weather but as the temperature has dropped, this is when the problem has started

TIMMY22 01-17-2007 07:46 AM

The trucks are designed to cycle the grids below I think 48 degrees. If you have to unplug the grids in order to start the truck, something is wrong.

kelownadiesel 01-17-2007 09:29 AM

I almost guarantee that its the starter contacts.You can get em for like 30 bucks at larry b's starter contacts.

Savage_Racing 01-17-2007 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by TIMMY22 (Post 1304464)
The trucks are designed to cycle the grids below I think 48 degrees. If you have to unplug the grids in order to start the truck, something is wrong.

So where would I unplug the grids? Where does it get the signal for the below 48 degrees?
The truck is not used all that often in the winter so before I plan on using/starting the truck I could plug them back in and not let it drain the battery.

TIMMY22 01-17-2007 11:58 AM

they plug in on top of the engine intake. It has a little black boot over the terminals.

carefull, those are hot. if you unplug, wrap it up good so it doesn't go against ground.

Savage_Racing 01-17-2007 10:21 PM

OK, is there two of these plugs that have boots and are they bolted to the intake beside the inlet from the cooler? They kinda look like tadpoles?
Because besides a plastic connector that plugs into a brass sender, that is all that I can see on top of the intake.

infidel 01-18-2007 10:24 AM

The easy way to disable the grids:
Follow the heavy cables with the rubber boots at the intake back down to the two relays almost under the battery. Disconnect one small wire from each relay, they just pull off. It will take you less than 10 seconds with no tools.

Savage_Racing 01-18-2007 06:24 PM

BEAUTY thanks

drolex 03-02-2007 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by floridadieselki (Post 1303096)
when you try to start, does it "click", for lack of a better word, like the batteries are dead? if so, a started rebuild is on the way. just did mine the day after christmas. is a easy job to do, just some akward positions when trying to work get it in/out.

What does he mean by "a started rebuild is on the way"? I think there's a typo there, but I need to know what he means.