12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

95 Ram 2500 5.9 cummins - not starting after fuel filter change

Old 05-14-2017, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 Ram 2500 5.9 cummins - not starting after fuel filter change

I'm looking for suggestions of what to do after changing the water/fuel separator filter... I've tried bleeding the valve above the filter by opening it and priming it, and I also tried bleeding it by trying to start it with the valve loose (I did that first, maybe that was my mistake?). At first, when I cranked it it wouldn't have any fuel reaching the engine, but then after I primed it it almost did a rough start but died, and now I'm cranking it and it's consistently trying to start with a little bit of fuel reaching, but not enough. Is there a single place I can vent the air out, such as on the inside near the front of the high pressure fuel pump, or do I need to individually bleed all the fuel lines to the cylinders...

Thanks for suggestions.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I've never had to bleed the individual injector lines when I replaced the fuel filter. After you tried starting it with the bleed bolt loose, did you try the primer "button" on the lift pump and get the "squealing" sound coming from the overflow valve? Its hard to properly describe the sound... If you push the primer button on the lift pump and don't feel some resistance and get a noise from the OFV, you probably still have a lot of air.

Also, are you sure the fuel solenoid is fully lifting/opening the fuel lever on the injection pump?
Old 05-15-2017, 04:32 PM

Received 1,142 Likes on 732 Posts
Did you fill the fuel filter with fuel BEFORE installing it?

The lift pump runs on a cam lobe, so sometimes you need to bump the motor over to get it to a point where the thumb button primes fuel. Yes listening for the fuel to push past the overflow valve is a good sign that you have the system primed.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:36 PM

Thnks for the suggestion. When I find some time between my medical school finals I'll go examine deeper. I did fill the filter before I installed it. When I use the primer, I get fuel out of the vent on top of the filter housing. But when I try to start, I get no fuel to the engine. From what I hear from locals, I'll need to bleed the injector lines, and I think I'll try that next...
Old 05-16-2017, 11:49 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Once it starts showing any signs of life give it some throttle. Won't hurt anything but the local air quality, expect some smoke. Afterwards look into checking fuel pressure, priming process can be very difficult on an already weak system.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Received 156 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by johnmoosescott View Post
Thnks for the suggestion. When I find some time between my medical school finals I'll go examine deeper. I did fill the filter before I installed it. When I use the primer, I get fuel out of the vent on top of the filter housing. But when I try to start, I get no fuel to the engine. From what I hear from locals, I'll need to bleed the injector lines, and I think I'll try that next...
Stop opening the vent to the fuel filter. Just keep pushing that primer until you hear a hissing like the sound made when you force air thru your front teeth.

You need to get the fuel to the IP and to the overflow valve for it to get fuel to the injectors. That hissing you hear is the primer forcing the fuel past the overflow valve.

From there it should start reasonably easy, give it some throttle to help put more fuel to the Injectors.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:32 AM

I just tried a few more things. I opened up a fuel injector line, and had NO fuel, even when pressing the primer, or cranking. I also tried priming with everything closed until my thumb hurt, but I never heard the hissing sound, and there was still no evidence of any fuel reaching the injectors.

To check the fuel solenoid, what do I do? I examined it with the key out and the ignition on (not cranking yet), and it seemed to be still in the same place, but I don't know if I'm checking it correctly.

I also don't have a lot of fuel in the tank, but given the symptoms, and how well it was running before I did the fuel filter, at this point I don't think it's justified to go buy a diesel can or two and fill it up.

I've used up my allotted study break to work on truck time for the day, but I'm not ready to give up yet, because I know it's probably so simple that I shouldn't have to pay $$$ for. Hoping to get it fixed by Saturday...
Old 05-18-2017, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Received 156 Likes on 118 Posts
If you don't hear the hissing, forget the FSS solenoid, that is after the fuel has made it to the pump anyway.

There have been times, especially when I have been into the lines, that I have had to use shop air, at a very low pressure ( 5 psi ) blown in the tank to get it to start sucking at the pump. I generally have about 10-15 PSI at the blowgun and stuff a rag into the filler neck and modulate the airgun to keep pressure in the tank, you can use the sound of the air escaping thru the rag to kind of gauge how much is in there.

Oh yea, don't bother trying to prime it with your thumb, that will only guarantee you blisters and pain. I use a garden hoe, with the handle end pushing on the primer, but a shovel, broom, etc. will work just as well. That way you can stand up like a human being and grab the handle. You can also pump it a fair bit faster this way. Mine just kind of fits in there like it was made to do it.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:02 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 189 Likes on 142 Posts
Put fuel in it. The fuel sending gauge in that truck are notorious for going bad and giving wrong readings. You very well could be beating a dead horse from a lack of fuel in the tank....seen it a hundred times here over the years.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:20 AM

Update: the truck is running. Unfortunately I ran out of time before I needed it so I couldn't try everything I knew and had professionals do it.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:28 PM

Pump the priming pump 200 times

After a fuel filter change I pump the priming pump 200 times with a broom stick handle. I tried 150, but that still required a lot of cranking. My truck starts right up after a fuel filter change and 200 pumps.