Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   4" exhaust or exhaust brake first (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/4-exhaust-exhaust-brake-first-329247/)

marv h. 11-07-2017 10:37 PM

4" exhaust or exhaust brake first

I need to get an exhaust brake and a 4" exhaust. I'm not sure how to do this. Does the 4" exhaust bolt up to an exhaust brake? Do the brakes come in different sizes?

marv h. 11-10-2017 10:21 PM

Can I put a 4" exhaust on if I already have an exhaust brake?

oliver foster 11-11-2017 06:28 AM

I have a '95 that I bought with an exhaust brake and it has a 4 inch exhaust on it.

marv h. 11-14-2017 10:09 PM

That is what I want to end up with.
I wonder if an exhaust system from mbrp would bolt up to an exhaust brake

u2slow 11-19-2017 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by marv h. (Post 3338705)
That is what I want to end up with.
I wonder if an exhaust system from mbrp would bolt up to an exhaust brake

If you can find a brake thats a direct replacement for the stock 45º elbow, then maybe. Otherwise probably not.

If turbo mount... most are going to need you to shorten the downpipe, maybe use a different flange.

If inline mount... you just cut the pipe where you want it and weld in two flanges. Nice thing here is you can upgrade the turbo later and not be stuck with a brake that doesn't fit.

marv h. 12-13-2017 08:34 PM

Ok. Thanks u2slow. I guess I need to do some research on some different exhaust brakes

Desert5600 12-14-2017 04:15 PM

When I had a 12 valve, different valve springs were required prior to installing an exhaust brake on my auto equipped 2500. You might want to check the requirements first.

u2slow 12-14-2017 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Desert5600 (Post 3340308)
When I had a 12 valve, different valve springs were required prior to installing an exhaust brake on my auto equipped 2500. You might want to check the requirements first.

^Yes. I forget that detail.

Rockyhud 01-04-2018 02:19 PM

This is the exhaust brake I'm going to buy for my 97.
https://www.dieselperformance.com/sh...c-remote-16319

I already have 4" exhaust from turbo on back. I also have a modified Holset HE351CW turbo sitting on my tech bench, almost ready to install, that also has the stock cast iron 45-degree elbow that will connect to the downpipe. I'm going to install the e-brake in the downpipe as close to the turbo as possible. This should minimize the volume of pipe to fill with back-pressure, so there should be minimal delay when the e-brake is engaged. Like u2slow said, buying an inline e-brake will allow you to keep the e-brake even if you decide to change to a different turbo later on.

Also, regarding high pressure exhaust valve springs being required, at least for this model. I called BD-Diesel and got to talk with a tech support guy who had spent quite a few years in their service area about this. The reason being the install manual indicates this e-brake CAN be used with stock valves but highly recommends 60-lb valve springs. This guy confirmed it CAN be used with stock springs, but the truck won't get the full benefit of the e-brake without them. That said, I think I'll buy and install the e-brake and adjust the e-brake so I can use it with the stock springs, then later when I have time to upgrade, the e-brake will just need to be adjusted for their use.

marv h. 01-28-2018 10:16 PM

Does your turbo have a 4” outlet?

mtnwldman 10-26-2018 01:25 PM

I put in the exhaust brake (best mod I have done hauling trailers in the mountains). Went with a three inch down pipe and four inch the rest of the way back. I did have to put in 60# valve springs. Was told stock is 30# and will just had have blow by and not hold the truck back.