12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

12V Gas Mileage and RPM at Highway Speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 02:58 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At 1300rpm I am about 50mph IIRC. And it is not lugging it. If I come to a hill I may have to shift to forth or just step on the fuel peddle before the hill. I am not on an interstate just a small highway that has a speed limit off 45 mph. My truck does not smoke at that rpm, unless I do something stupid like hit wot in one push of the peddle. I have been doing this for many years. As for a larger truck they run as low as 1100 rpm under load.I have taken mine down to 1000rpm empty at the top of a hill and starting down the other side. This is with 0 lbs of boost and 250 degrees on the pyro. It is an old truckers trick don't jam the peddle to the floor. On a mechanical truck you lift the peddle as you start to build to much heat. And as for an automatic I don't have one and it is the reason that has been mentioned is why.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3.55's would be nice somtimes, but the main roads I drive on are never above 55 so I have no problem with 4.10's (although if I did alot of highway driving 3.55's would be a must IMO). I still haven't calculated what mpg I get with the 5spd just cruising around doing normal driving, I ended up doing some towing with this tank of fuel so I won't beat my best mpg mark this time, lol.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Clayten
At 1300rpm I am about 50mph IIRC. And it is not lugging it. If I come to a hill I may have to shift to forth or just step on the fuel peddle before the hill. I am not on an interstate just a small highway that has a speed limit off 45 mph. My truck does not smoke at that rpm, unless I do something stupid like hit wot in one push of the peddle. I have been doing this for many years. As for a larger truck they run as low as 1100 rpm under load.I have taken mine down to 1000rpm empty at the top of a hill and starting down the other side. This is with 0 lbs of boost and 250 degrees on the pyro. It is an old truckers trick don't jam the peddle to the floor. On a mechanical truck you lift the peddle as you start to build to much heat. And as for an automatic I don't have one and it is the reason that has been mentioned is why.
I do not understand the point of having all of those mods in your signature only to drive the truck like a little old lady.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:21 PM

Ha, kind of like the guys who buy corvettes and such and put less than 100 miles on them each year
Old 04-29-2007, 08:34 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Originally Posted by BulletBob
I do not understand the point of having all of those mods in your signature only to drive the truck like a little old lady.
Ha Ha Ha a little old lady.I sit here and giggle. After doing a tank at that speed do you think I am on the brink of losing it. Your right i am, so the next tank is at about 8 klicks per liter. Tires are burning people are seeing a climate change in front of them,they are behind me. Hey I like to have fun to. So sometimes I challenge myself to get good fuel economy. Then I lose it after a tank like that my poor wife she has it down now (you don't have to show them who is bigger) lol. Hey come on I like to have fun to, oh maybe more than some. I told my wife if I do all of these mods I can get better fuel millage. So if i can produce the facts I can have more mods. But realistically I do try to get as good of fuel mileage ad i can get. And then the guy on my left shoulder wearing the black hat says floor it. The guy on my right shoulder with the white hat says ( you got a Cummins?) and then he says, (do what is right). Turbo starts to build boost and you guys know the rest.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:29 AM

i came in here lookin for some tips to c if i can get better kilcks per tank. turns out im not doin to bad for all stock. though it seems that there arent too many people here who know how to drive or they just spent too much time behind a slushbox. ive spent some time in a big rig and learned how to listen to an engine. if u cant do that then u dont know what ur doin. sure u can read ur gauges and do what the owners manual tells u but in the end ur not feeling the truck. its like reading a book or watchin a movie. sure u can watch the movie but is it makin u think or r u just staring blankly at some flickering lights? in the end how u drive the truck is what makes ur time inbetween fills short or long. right?
Old 05-02-2007, 01:02 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats why I like crusing around 1900, my trucks sounds great at that speed. I tried driving at 1300 like was said before, but that low my clutch feels like it's about to stall, so that won't work.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:13 AM

Mpg

I have a 97 no mods. with a 4:10 rear 4X4 I get 17MPG in town and 18 MPG on the turnpike. The person that posted that he was getting 27 MPG in town does not seem possible. I never heard of anyone getting that kind of mileage
Old 05-02-2007, 12:32 PM
Banned

there are actually two here that get good mileage, yeah i get 27 in town. its possible
Old 05-02-2007, 01:32 PM

clutch, could you please fill in your sig with what mods that's been done?

naturally I'd like to know how you are doing this...

Originally Posted by clutch1
there are actually two here that get good mileage, yeah i get 27 in town. its possible
Old 05-02-2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by clutch1

There's a guy on another mileage post with $1000 bet riding on 24mpg! I'm sure you could win that bet!
Where are you from I'll take you up on a 26mpg bet!

I have a neighbor that swears 24mpg but the most I've ever seen him get is 18mpg. He always has an excuse why it don't get as good when I'm around.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by diesel don
I have a 97 no mods. with a 4:10 rear 4X4 I get 17MPG in town and 18 MPG on the turnpike. The person that posted that he was getting 27 MPG in town does not seem possible. I never heard of anyone getting that kind of mileage

There's a lot of BS'er in the world! I'll see if he's willing to put up the $$$$ to back his mileage claims! I'm sure he has an excuse not to.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Banned

I am on 40" tires and 9" of lift with a 5spd and 3.55's and I have got 17mpg. It was mostly highway but it happened. So a 2wd truck with 245's or similar sized tires can't get 27? I'll admit it is highly unlikely but I never thought my truck could get 17 either!!!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Clayten
Call BS if you want keep it under 1300 rpm shifting at no more than 1600 you can get 11 kilometers/ liter. And if you know how to use a diesel to it's full extent then you can do this. Cummins suggest to stay at or under 1300 rpm. I can get 10 klicks/ liter consistently on #2 mixed with PS.This is truck only. And I will take on any bets for your title against mine. If you dare to call BS on this I will sell your truck for my gain.
Who is BS, and why would I want to call him if I want to run under 1300 rpom? And why would I want to dirve 43 mph on the highway anyway? If you are saying it's BS that my mileage drops and the engine seems to lug when running at 1700 rpm towing the 5th wheel - it's my truck, I'm driving, and I know when my engine is lugging. It's happiest and gives me the best mileage at 2000 + rpm. Or maybe you're referring to someone else's post and not mine. If so, we'll let that person be irritated and I'll just go get some shuteye.

DRam
Old 05-03-2007, 10:29 AM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Originally Posted by DRam11
Who is BS, and why would I want to call him if I want to run under 1300 rpom? And why would I want to dirve 43 mph on the highway anyway? If you are saying it's BS that my mileage drops and the engine seems to lug when running at 1700 rpm towing the 5th wheel - it's my truck, I'm driving, and I know when my engine is lugging. It's happiest and gives me the best mileage at 2000 + rpm. Or maybe you're referring to someone else's post and not mine. If so, we'll let that person be irritated and I'll just go get some shuteye.

DRam
I am not calling BS on you. I am saying that is what I get.

Quick Reply: 12V Gas Mileage and RPM at Highway Speed