12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

12v dies shortly after cold start - OK afterward

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 07:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
12v dies shortly after cold start - OK afterward

Hi all,

My 97 12v, basically stock except for K&N air filter, has just recently started showing this problem where about 10-15 seconds after starting the engine it starts to miss and eventually dies as if starving for fuel. It's done this 3 times within the past 2-3 weeks, including one time today. The outside temps when starting have generally been in the 50s to high 60s to low 70s.

My first thought, although not anything done about confirming it yet, is that the fuel filter is clogged and isn't allowing enough fuel flow to keep the engine running after the truck's been sitting for a while. However, after getting it restarted again, which takes quite a few somewhat lengthy series of cranks and repeatedly hitting the throttle, it runs just fine. This makes me wonder if my first thought is on the right track or not.

I did a search for "12v dies after cold start" and only got one article that pertained to a 99 24v. Has anyone else with a 12v had any experience like this? If so, and you were able to correct the problem, I'd sure appreciate learning from your experience.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Old 05-22-2004, 07:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It sounds like you're sucking air in the fuel system somewhere. It can do this without leaking fuel. Most common place is the rubber return hose that starts right behind the fuel filter and runs back to the bell housing. Do a search here for return line for much info
Old 05-22-2004, 08:01 PM

Thanks, Bill. I'll check that out and report back what I find.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:25 AM

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Wow- Sometimes I have that problem- at about 0 and below though- and I have to let it warm up everytime for about 2 minutes at least, or if I start to accelerate and then let off the gas, it dies.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Starting

My 96 had the same problem. It was the rubber fuel lines by the fuel pump, I changed those out then it was a rubber seal under a banjo fitting on top of the fuel filter and last time it did this it was the water probe in the bottom of the fuel filter,air was getting sucked in past the wires. I changed to a diffret style of filter with out the probe and no problems since. Good luck!
Old 05-24-2004, 09:44 AM

Interesting observations I noticed this weekend. I posted this on Saturday after the truck had been sitting and not started for several days prior. It ran as described above. On Sunday I started the truck to see if it would still die after starting and it never missed a lick and kept running. Today I drove it to work and again it started with nary a problem. As I mentioned before the truck runs fine even after dieing and eventually restarting, even under full throttle load when passing on the hiway. This is what's confused me as as I'd think having an air leak would cause it to show a fuel starvation problem under this kind of load. This is what makes me think there may be some bleed down of fuel in the fuel filter or somewhere between there and the pump. However, I'll be the first to admit that I'm still a neophyte, but trying to learn quick, when it comes to diesels and the Cummins in particular, so I'm very grateful for everyone's feedback and suggestions.

Due to having out of state company this weekend I didn't get a chance to really check out the return line for leaks, but I did feel around it for moisture (none detected) and moved it around a little when I did. I don't think this movement made any difference in the cause of the problem but who knows. During this coming holiday weekend I plan to spend some time on it to check it more thoroughly.

Thanks again for everyone's input.