3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

where is the best place to put the pyro sensor???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where is the best place to put the pyro sensor???

in the pipe or in the manafold???? if manafold do you pullit off first and do you need a new gasket???
Old 09-06-2007, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just did mine last week in the manifold. Most people prefer a pre-turrbo reading, but some like post, and osme have both! I did not pull it off to do it though. I had to drop my passenger side wheel well to get the dewalt in there, but once I dropped that it was easy to get to. It was only like 6 8mm screws and it came right off. Do a search, there is many threads on this. I did mine where the manifold turns square, right before it goes into the turbo housing, and I have seen a lot of guys do it there. I just drilled with the truck idling and almost all the shavings were blown out. I also coated my drill bit with grease and a lot of shavings stuck to it. Good luck.

M Sandt
Old 09-06-2007, 06:04 AM

If you do a search, you will find a bunch of information and opinions. I put mine in pre-turbo.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:24 AM

Do a search and you'll find a ton of info...but pre-turbo seems to be the preferred choice. When my gauges come in next week I'll be installing mine pre-turbo.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:05 AM

According to Gale Banks Engeering the best place is in the mainifold... the Rear Passage is where it says to put it...

And No offense to mjsandt, but I would not recomend drilling into your manifold while the engine is running, nor would I recomend drilling into it with the turbo attached. I hope mj never has a problem, but if one single shaving gets into that impeller it can eat it up and turbos don't come cheap. Now with that said you don't have to take the exhaust manifold off to do this. 1st disconect the turbo from the exhaust elbow. 2nd disconect the turbo from the manifold. ( you should be able to drop the turbo about and 1inch.) Now cover the turbo inlet and asembly with a flexible cover (I used a piece of a canvas tarp). Now get a peice of cardboard and cover it in grease. slide it between the exhaust manifold and the turbo. Center punch the manifold and cover your drill bit with grease... once the hole is drilled, cover your tap with grease and tap the hole. Now spray cleaner inside the hole and remove the cardboard... spray some more and then wipe out the inside of the manifold with a shop cloth. Now re attach everything and install your pyrometer.

Good Luck
Old 09-06-2007, 11:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is where I put mine
Old 09-06-2007, 11:24 AM

I've put several in manifolds and never had any trouble doing it. You just have to use common sense. Once you're done start the truck and let it idle for a couple minutes. If any shavings got down the turbo they will just go out the exhaust. You don't want to build any boost upon startup though or some shavings can go places you don't want them to go. If you do a search you will read some methods to do this without taking anything off. There are some good ones to follow. Don't sweat it.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:28 AM

I did mine with a greased bit and with the engine idling also. Go slow and you won't have a problem.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:46 PM

Same here, drilled it with a greased bit with the engine running. That was 40,000 miles ago, no problems here.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:23 PM

Thanks Guys. if i put it like in the picture all you have to do is pull the turbo.and all the shaveings should fall out.(right??)
Old 09-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Banned

Much easier here, and from what I have been reading, my temps are not much different than the other location.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:40 PM

I put mine right where 06 Diesel put his, and MMurray, none taken, everyone has their own opinions and preferences. I actually never thought about doing it with the engine idling when reading up on how to do it, but when my Quad Commander came in, the instructions that came from Quadzilla stated to do it with the engine at idle. I added the greased drill bit after reading from people on here and for extra prtoection, because the turbo is a valuable ( and not to mention expensive) part of our trucks. I just figured it made sense, and if Quad recommends it, I will do it. I followed their instructions to the T, with the only exception of the exact spot to place the thermocouple, I just moved mine down the manifold slightly. Drilling through your manifold isnt as scary as it sounds, trust me, I just did it last week. Good luck!

M Sandt
Old 09-07-2007, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by coparam4x4
Much easier here, and from what I have been reading, my temps are not much different than the other location.
Did mine exactly the same and it works fine. I drilled the hole with the motor off until I reached the point right before it went all the way through, then started it up. Kept it running while I taped the threads with a squirt af breakfree every once in a while. Be sure to have some gloves and eye protection.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:11 AM

Talking

Pre-turbo. the hardest thing for me was to have enough mental fortitude to drill into a perfectly good engine with less than 1000 miles on it. Just make sure you get all of the shavings. Have just over 10K on engine now and now problems with the turbo to date.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Banned

When I drilled mine, I put magnets on the bottom of the manifold so if any shavings did fall, they would stay right there. Then took a Q-tip with a little bit of grease and stuck it in the manifold to get the shaving's and lo-and-behold no shavings. Been fine ever since.

Quick Reply: where is the best place to put the pyro sensor???