TXDTR #8 Forum for the Texas chapter #8

April at The Ranch

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 12:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Might want to check the BJs... the urethane bushings we stock fit all 2nd & 3rd Gen Rams, so don't worry about the minor swaybar diameter changes.
Also, I don't recommend replacing the endlinks with OEM parts - ballstuds and/or shafts will just fail again.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks Mike. The ball-joints were still in good shape when I had my alignment done about a month ago. All of the bushing I've seen online have been either 30mm or 32mm, I just need to get out there with the redneck calipers and check mine out. As for end-links, I've been looking at my options to just replace the whole set-up instead of just replacing the bushings (which look the worst).
Old 04-22-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AggieJustin
Is that because you're saving the winch for the Jeep when you turn it into a hard core off-road rig??

So I need some help tracking down what could be causing a clunk in the front end over bumps.
If I winched anything, it would be the Jeep!

As for "Clunk"... what was last thing changed in front end?
The noise you describe has most often been, for me, bottom shock mount. They require a lot of torque, IME. Next choice would be Track Bar ends, which you thought of.
Only other thing I've had clunk was a broken exhaust hanger and/or the rubber hanger thingy.... but that's more of a rattle.

Don't follow the Darwin Awards winner from last yr!! Ties himself to the frame while a buddy drive his truck. He was also looking for front end noise..... right up till he got run over.

RJ
Old 04-22-2011, 06:07 PM
I watch wind blow...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Justin, do you have leveling blocks up front?

I had a similar noise with my 95 and everyone told me it was the coil spring isolators. I never got around to changing them before the truck was wrecked. So this is just a thought.

but I would think that if you had the leveling blocks this would not be the issue.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by RowJ
As for "Clunk"... what was last thing changed in front end?
The noise you describe has most often been, for me, bottom shock mount. They require a lot of torque, IME. Next choice would be Track Bar ends, which you thought of.
Only other thing I've had clunk was a broken exhaust hanger and/or the rubber hanger thingy.... but that's more of a rattle.

Don't follow the Darwin Awards winner from last yr!! Ties himself to the frame while a buddy drive his truck. He was also looking for front end noise..... right up till he got run over.

RJ
The last change was the swap from "Y" steering to the "T" setup, which was all new tie rods. Nothing looks odd there, but I did have the noise prior to that (just didn't notice it as much). Going to try backing off the lower shock bolts and re-tightening them since this does sound similar to the last time I had a loose shock bolt.

Don't worry, my wife can't drive my truck so hanging under the front end isn't an option.

Originally Posted by 03RAMBUNCTIOUS
Justin, do you have leveling blocks up front?

I had a similar noise with my 95 and everyone told me it was the coil spring isolators. I never got around to changing them before the truck was wrecked. So this is just a thought.

but I would think that if you had the leveling blocks this would not be the issue.
No leveling blocks on mine. Coil spring isolators are a possibility since RJ and I swapped the springs on mine toward the end of last year. Just not sure how they would cause the noise. Maybe lifting it up again and checking them is in order.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by AggieJustin
... Going to try backing off the lower shock bolts and re-tightening them since this does sound similar to the last time I had a loose shock bolt.
I'd lube them w/ antisieze and use a cheater bar for final push. When I installed my Bilsteins they clunked. Went to auto shop and tightened w/ Air Impact, and still made noise. My problem was crude on Passenger side threads.

Originally Posted by AuggieJustin
... Coil spring isolators are a possibility since RJ and I swapped the springs on mine toward the end of last year. Just not sure how they would cause the noise.
Slipping off center, worn through or not there could cause metal to metal.
Should be able to feel it if it's off center, w/o raising.

RJ
Old 04-23-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by RowJ
Slipping off center, worn through or not there could cause metal to metal.
Should be able to feel it if it's off center, w/o raising.
I know they're there...I remember fighting to get them in the right place. I'll check again to make sure they don't look like they're slipping out before putting the jack to it.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:50 AM

Hyjacking this thread for an important public announcement!

Wam-Mart is now selling frozen, microwaveable, White Castle Burgers.
Six 'Sliders' to a box.

I'm having a very special Easter Dinner!

RJ
Old 04-24-2011, 11:32 AM

Yep - we've been rocking WallyWorld White Castle for a few months... and last time Steffy came back from KY she brought us a fresh Slider Suitcase -yum!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:07 PM
I watch wind blow...

Hi guys!

I just got back from a road trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota. What an incredible place! Mt. Rushmore was amazing, Crazy horse not near as impressive. and I drove thru Sturgis just because... This Texan is becoming well traveled. haha.

white castle.... Ill have to be in an altered state of mind to try that place again.

Max
Old 04-25-2011, 01:21 AM

RJ that Road Armor is going to look great!!

Quick question. My truck is coming up on 150K miles. ( I know that's not much compared to some of you...) Anyway, im about to do some routine maintenance...fluid/filter changes etc.

Should I be replacing my original thermostat? What about the water pump as a preventative maintenance item? Im not having any problems, I just want to make sure im staying on top of things.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:24 AM

You could replace the thermostat as part of preventative maintenance, or at least check it to make sure that it's not broken or stuck open.

As for the water pump, I wouldn't mess with it unless you're having trouble with it or it shows excessive play on the shaft. If you swap it out, you might be swapping a part with a lot of life left for a part that might have been defective from the start.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:30 PM

Justin, I see. I understand on the WP. Guess i'll just leave it alone for now. If it's not broke...don't fix it...right?

So should I just leave the thermostat alone too? I've never even seen it.. As far as I know, it's fine. I know if I do replace it, it will be with Cummins OEM.

I was going to do a drain and refill on the radiator with new Zerex G05 and Distilled water....as in the past.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:55 PM

Are you just draining and refilling the rad? If so, I wouldn't bother with it, especially if your temps have been normal.

If you're going to flush the whole system, then I'd just drop a new one in while you have the housing off to refill it.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:10 PM
I watch wind blow...

Robert my weep hole starting weeping on my WP around ~185K that is when I changed it. Very easy to do. My T-stat is still chugging along at 213K. I would recommend looking over your upper rad hose very well, mine got a hole rubbed in it from the top pulley. That made for a fun day...

Quick Reply: April at The Ranch