TXDTR #8 Forum for the Texas chapter #8

April at The Ranch

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm gonna bring some beer and frog legs! Got couple sacks while I was home in Florida. Forgot how good they taste!!
Old 04-07-2011, 08:35 PM

Charlie do you have electrical power at the ranch still?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by 13FOX
Charlie do you have electrical power at the ranch still?
Sure do. Do we need to electrocute the frogs?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:43 PM

Yup! In a deep fryer!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by crobtex
Bring a tractor and a lot of dirt!
I've helped dig a hole out there. It better be a BIG tractor.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gotta wrench for $ in the AM - should be able to make it by late afternoon.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Chapter President

Not a big meet as has been the standard, but a good one. It was good to spend time with Daniel before he deploys at the end of the month. Have a good trip and be safe my friend. You are very much appreciated.

Justin was the trooper and made a weekend out of it. Daniel got here Friday evening and left Saturday evening....he had to get home and fulfill his obligations to his lady friend! RJ stayed all Day Saturday and Rob came by for a few hours. Matt showed up Saturday and left right after Justin on Sunday morning.

I made chili Saturday evening, but the food highlight was the frog legs Daniels brought and cooked up. I haven't had frog legs in a long time and they were really good! And......they still taste like chicken.

I usually try to get the place mowed and cleaned up on Friday, but due a dead battery, it didn't happen. I called Justin and he was kind enough to stop and pick up a battery on the way. Between Daniel and Justin using the Polaris to mow with the Swisher pull behind and me on the Cub Cadet, we knocked out the mowing pretty quick. The place looks good and I can't thank them enough for their help. Sunday morning Matt and Justin helped me set a pole in a tire for my grandson's batting practice do-dad. Glad they were here to tote the 80# bags of concrete. Probably the only home made batting pole ever built by two engineers!

Good friends, good food and good conversation is hard to beat. Hope more of you can make the the next time.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:49 AM

Didn't get out of the shop 'til dark - wish I could of made it!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:02 AM

Glad yall had a great time and good food. We just got back a few hours ago from Nacogdoches. Had a great trip. Hopefully, I can make the next DTR 8 meet.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:24 AM

I hope that batting pole is still standing. Not sure we're "qualified" for concrete work. LOL

Did anyone get any damage off the storms last night? We had at least dime-sized hail, maybe larger. But that was the heaviest I've ever seen. It sounded like someone was dumping a truckload of rocks on the house. The rain gauge was showing around an inch of rain right after, but I don't think it could keep up. I had rivers in both the front and back yards.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:34 AM
Chapter President

I didn't hear any hail, but the wind and rain was crazy. Will have to wait until good daylight to check. The news show and lot of damage down south and some broken windows and blown over fences in Prosper.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:38 AM
Chapter President

I hope the baling wire held the poll up! I did just hear that they had a lot of hail around Van Alstyne.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:42 AM

Good time Charlie.... as always. Nice to be back at the ranch!

We got almost nothing out of these storms? On the map, all the red and brown stuff turned green and yellow at the red river and seemed to separate around us.
Hardly any evidence that we even got rain at all. Had to be well under an inch!
Needed a lot more.

RJ
Old 04-11-2011, 10:28 AM

I woke up sometime around 1am when I heard Andrea's phone beep when the power went off. There had been lightning for a while, but never heard any thunder and the rain and wind were light. I grabbed my cell to call GCEC to report the outage and it just let loose. It hammered the west window on the bathroom and was coming in under the back patio and hitting the door. When it finally slowed up, I looked outside and it was just river of ice pellets on floating on the water across the front and back yards.

Luckily, there was no damage after checking it all out this morning. Saw a few broken windshields in the neighborhood and heard Prosper had quite a few houses with shattered windows.

Hopefully, at least some of that water managed to soak it. The rain guage shows 1.4 inches, but I doubt it can keep up with a heavy rain like that.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Chapter President

All new personal high for diesel today.....$3.959! Some places are $4.00 +. Too bad we have to support foreign countries when we have millions of gallons of oil under our own dirt.

Ole' Red just thought he was grounded before.

Quick Reply: April at The Ranch