Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

What do you guys think in these choices for a 5th wheel gooseneck hitch adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you guys think in these choices for a 5th wheel gooseneck hitch adapter?

What do you guys think in these choices for a 5th wheel gooseneck hitch adapter for my 2005 3500 dually 5.9 diesel? Any experience with this brand or would brand would you suggest. Thanks

Ebay ads NOT allowed on DTR
Old 12-11-2014, 03:47 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The first one you have I believe is designed to fit into the factory hitch mount in later model trucks.

The bottom one attaches to the B&W turn over ball goose neck hitch, which you would also have to install.

I have an older version of that turn over ball and Companion 5th wheel hitch.

Very high quality and solid. I like that it leaves the bed clear (no rails) when removed. The head pivots 4 ways (a must IMHO), and it is easy to visually verify the jaws are locked on the groove in the kin pin.

Only drawback is it takes a deep well socket (3/4 I think) to install or remove the Companion.

I've had the B&W turn over ball and Companion 5th wheel hitch in two trucks, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for anyone with a long box (who doesn't need a slider).
Old 12-11-2014, 03:56 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! So you suggest the second one? On the link below which turnover gooseneck hitch would you sugggest? I am new at this and I really appreciate your help.

Ebay ad NOT allowed on DTR

Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
Welcome to the forum.

The first one you have I believe is designed to fit into the factory hitch mount in later model trucks.

The bottom one attaches to the B&W turn over ball goose neck hitch, which you would also have to install.

I have an older version of that turn over ball and Companion 5th wheel hitch.

Very high quality and solid. I like that it leaves the bed clear (no rails) when removed. The head pivots 4 ways (a must IMHO), and it is easy to visually verify the jaws are locked on the groove in the kin pin.

Only drawback is it takes a deep well socket (3/4 I think) to install or remove the Companion.

I've had the B&W turn over ball and Companion 5th wheel hitch in two trucks, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for anyone with a long box (who doesn't need a slider).
Old 12-11-2014, 08:54 AM

E bay ad blocked. Just make sure you are getting the right model for your truck.

Turnoverball Application Chart | B & W Trailer Hitches
Old 12-17-2014, 10:01 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
If you're trying to tow your 5th wheel with a GN hitch in the truck then do more research on 5th wheel to GN adapters. Its a widely discussed topic whereby involving trailer frame damage (potentially not visible either) and warranty issues with trailer manufactures as a result of using the adapters. The problem is the added leverage placed on the pinbox because of the long adapter causes stress on the frame. When looking for a 5th wheel for my family I discarded ALL 5th wheels which had adapters on them or any which had signs that an adapter was used at any time. Its up to you though.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:40 PM

Yeah the 5th wheel adapters that let the trailer attach to a goose ball are something I avoid also.

He's looking at the B&W Companion hitch, though, that attaches to the socket for their turnover ball system. Just a different way to attach the 5th wheel hitch to the pickup, avoiding rails in the bed when the hitch is removed.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:36 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
I hear Companion hitches are fantastic.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:39 PM

Yeah I'm sure happy with them.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:23 AM

Hi Guys,

Is this the type of adapter I would need?

B&W RVK3500 B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch - Newly Redesigned

Ever use your truck when you're not towing? True to B&W's original concept of designing hitches that allow truck owners to 'use' their truck when not towing, our engineers tackled the 5th Wheel RV Hitch design. Most conventional 5th Wheel Hitches use an 'in-the-bed' rail system for fastening the hitch to the truck, but these rails prove to be unwieldy. The Companion is actually an 'accessory' to the Turnover Ball Gooseneck Hitch and utilizes the Turnover Ball as the 'mounting system'. Therefore, just like the Turnover Ball, the only hole required in the truck is the 4" round hole, and users can easily remove the hitch from the bed.

Companion Assembly: in ten minutes!The Companion comes in two boxes, one with the base and one with the coupler. To assemble the Companion, two upright arms are attached with 8 bolts, and one post is attached with two U-bolts. The Companion can be assembled in about 10 minutes. The mounting kit that the Companion uses is the TurnoverBall system. The underbed mounting system is truck specific and installs with no drilling, welding, or bed removal in about an hour. The Companion should not be mounted using any other mounting method.

A ride you will thank us for.Aside from safety, probably the most important benefit a hitch can provide is a great ride. When our engineers were designing the Companion, a major emphasis was on providing the smoothest ride available. If you've ever pulled a 5th Wheel trailer with another hitch, you know how stopping and starting can nearly give you whiplash! That's because traditional latching systems don't match the kingpin tightly. Our hitch was engineered with locking jaws that perfectly fit the king-pin meaning that there are no sloppy starts and stops. In addition, the coupler of the Companion sits on arms that are coated with polyurethane bushings, this means that where other hitches give you metal on metal contact, the Companion gives you a cushioned, quiet ride. Finally, instead of just front-to-back cushion, the Companion features a built-in shock absorber that allows gentle side-to-side movement without the slamming. This is a ride you deserve to experience!

Redseigned to be 2 inches taller and with a better plate replacing the U bolts, now with just 1 draw down bolt
20,000 GTW - 5,000 GVT
Easily convert from a hitch to a level bed
Requires no mounting rails to secure the hitch to the truck bed
Vibration dampening polyurethane bushings provide a quiet, rattle-free towing experience
Cam action latching handle offers effortless hook up and release, even under pressure
Full 1" wrap-around jaws fit kingpin perfectly, eliminating sloppy starts and stops.
Fully articulating head allowing front to back and side to side pivoting
Patented hydraulic dampener permitting a controlled 7 degree side to side tilt.
Three vertical adjustments from 16.25 inches to 18.25 inches
Three positions giving you four inches of horizontal adjustment
Rugged wide stance engineered for improved stability and strength
Powder coated for a nice looking, durable, long lasting finish
All components manufactured in the U.S.A.
Requires the B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch To Operate
Old 12-18-2014, 07:51 AM

It sounds like that is what you are looking for.

You are aware you would also need to purchase and install the B&W Turnover Ball goose hitch? The 5th wheel hitch attaches via the socket for the goose ball.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:35 AM

You are aware you would also need to purchase and install the B&W Turnover Ball goose hitch? The 5th wheel hitch attaches via the socket for the goose ball.
Thanks you guys are the best!
Old 12-18-2014, 08:42 AM

Jeff which B&W Turnover Ball goose hitch would you highly suggest?
Old 12-18-2014, 11:12 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
B&W only make one turnover ball hitch that will fit your truck so you can't go wrong. As for the companion I do love mine but the redesigned one is much better as it has a better locking mechanism designed for repeated removal and installation. The locking jaws are easily seen from the rear of the truck and make for a positive confirmation of the hitch being locked.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:56 AM

Yeah like Busboy said you need to find the B&W Turnover ball for your truck.

Installation isn't too bad of a chore. Good to have a 4" hole saw, and a ratcheting strap with a stool or saw horse to hold the main part of the hitch in position while it gets bolted in.