Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Tire failure damage.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 10:25 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Lol.....thats funny, and kinda sad.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:48 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Funny, I was thinking the same thing when I was pulled over. "Why is my boost so high on a flat road."

Where can I get a TPM system? How expensive? Cost to install? The poor economy and advancing age are wrecking havoc on the finances, but I refuse to quit playing. I'll sell the farm and live in the camper first. DW is not with me, she's pushing me.

Took a close look at the damage. Doesn't look as bad as it did at first glance. There's sound material within an inch of a fairly well defined rectangular damage section. I suppose the proper material and adhesive should do the trick after a hair cut.

Throw your 15" Chinese ST trailer tires in the garbage can.

If you start researching, you will discover that there is no such thing as a good quality HD 15" tire.

So the best solution is to upgrade to 16" wheels for which numerous 16" LT load range E truck tires are available.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:18 AM

I like my MAXXIS ST tires. There's even a pretty good article about them in the new issue of Trailer Life which talks about how MAXXIS has been trying new technology to keep from being the same ST garbage.
Not all of us have the money or tire room to move up to 16" tires/wheels. So its sometimes not that simple.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
A product called "flex mend" is designed to repair the underbelly waterproof stuff on trailers. It can be purchased in a roll, or in a rectangular patch. https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...FRSPfgodp6MD3Q
Old 08-18-2016, 10:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KATOOM
Lol.....thats funny, and kinda sad.
Stealth you are RIGHT ON

FRIENDS DON`T LET FRIENDS BUY ST TIRES.

The following users liked this post:
StealthDiesel (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 06:41 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Here is some general info on ST tires that some of you may not be aware of;

Speed
All "ST" tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.
As heat builds up, the tire's structure starts to disintegrate and weaken.
The load carrying capacity gradually decreases as the heat and stresses generated by higher speed increases.

Time
Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.
In approximately three years, roughly one-third of the tire's strength is gone.
Three to five years is the projected life of a normal trailer tire.
It is suggested that trailer tires be replaced after three to four years of service regardless of tread depth or tire appearance.

Mileage
Trailer tires are not designed to wear out.
The life of a trailer tire is limited by time and duty cycles.
The mileage expectation of a trailer tire is 5,000 to 12,000 miles.

Why Use An "ST" Tire
"ST" tires feature materials and construction to meet the higher load requirements and demands of trailering.
The polyester cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable "P" or "LT" tire.
The steel cords have a larger diameter and greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements.
"ST" tire rubber compounds contain more chemicals to resist weather and ozone cracking.

Storage
The ideal storage for trailer tires is in a cool, dark garage at maximum inflation.
Use tire covers to protect the tires from direct sunlight.
Use thin plywood sections between the tire and the pavement.
For long term storage, put the trailer on blocks to take the weight off the tires. Then lower the air pressure and cover the tires to protect them from direct sunlight.

Maintenance
Clean the tires using mild soap and water.
Do not use tire-care products containing alcohol or petroleum distillates.
Inspect the tires for any cuts, snags, bulges or punctures.
Check the inflation before towing and again before the return trip.
The following users liked this post:
KATOOM (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 11:25 AM

And why do most people have trouble with their ST tires.....?

Well in regards to the prior list, because they:

SPEED - People tow faster than the tires speed ratings causing them to run hot.

TIME - Only replace them when they fall apart.

MILEAGE - Again, generally only replaced when they blow or go flat from cracks.

USE - ST tires are more durable against scrubbing while turning and support more lateral weight. This doesnt even delve into the topic of "overloading" either as thats a common practice for people and their trailers.

STORAGE - Not only do people typically NOT cover their trailer tires during storage but the time frames between the tires usage can be extremely long, and typically only used during the camping season. This allows the tires to dry out and become compromised. Ever try to blow up an old balloon?.....same thing applies.

MAINTENANCE - The odds are that most people never "maintain" their tires. The only thing people tend to care about is if the tire looks black as they spray those destructive silicone or petroleum based tire care products on them which harms the rubber compound and weakens the sidewall.

And I'm adding one more variable to this list..... AIR PRESSURE - I've seen so many people towing their trailers with half flat tires that I often wonder if anyone ever checks to see if there's any air in them at all. Tires MUST be kept aired up at the proper pressure levels otherwise they build tremendous heat which is destructive to the rubber material. In saying that, ST tires have sidewalls specifically designed to hold more lateral weight and flex less than passenger tires, so therefore forcing ST tires to flex excessively due to improper air pressures will only cause them to run much hotter than they're supposed to.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan

Why Use An "ST" Tire
"ST" tires feature materials and construction to meet the higher load requirements and demands of trailering.
The polyester cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable "P" or "LT" tire.
The steel cords have a larger diameter and greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements.
"ST" tire rubber compounds contain more chemicals to resist weather and ozone cracking.

USE - ST tires are more durable against scrubbing while turning and support more lateral weight.

^^Both the above statements with respect to ST trailer tires are fallacy.

There are several technical reasons why off-shore ST trailer tires have such a high failure rate.

1. The load rating system for ST tires is different than Passenger or truck tires.
This is because ST tires are not rated to carry passengers.

For example, an ST load range E tire rated for 3800lbs is actually much less capable than a truck tire rated for 3800lbs.

2. Next time you have a chance to compare in person a similar rated ST trailer tire with a LT truck tire, you will see why ST tires are total crap.
You will see why an ST235/85R16E trailer tire weighs about 35lbs and an LT235/85R16E truck tire weighs about 55lbs.

However, ST trailer tires are not much cheaper in price than quality truck tires.
The markup on ST tires is huge. This is why Goodyear and tire salesmen and tire shops push and promote ST tires.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:47 PM

I dont agree..... A tires ratings are the capacity ratings. The difference you speak of is in the "reserve" capacity. ST tires have no reserve capacity whereby LT tires have to by law because they carry passengers. So therefore a 3800 lb ST tire will only support 3800.....but a 3800 lb LT tire will carry more simply because of the reserve capacity.

But all that said, knock on wood, I've had many many ST tires throughout all my years of towing trailers and I've only had one blow apart. I follow my strict regimented process of making sure all my ST tires are at their proper air pressures, I balance all my ST tires, I make sure my trailer is not overloaded, I dont let my trailers sit for 6 months or longer without moving, and that the trailer axles are not out of alignment.

Seems to be a working method.....
Old 08-19-2016, 03:54 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I want to know more about this..... Are you truly saying that the inner fenders on your truck were destroyed by flailing rocks flying off your tires????? I've been down plenty of gravel roads and my liners look like the day they came off the assembly line.
It was only the rear wheels on my 2001, at the time many 2001 ram's sold didn't have any wheel bins on the rear. I'm sure it must have been a material problem for them to break like they did the first time, I can't explain in words how badly they were smashed, there was nothing left in line with the tire.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:40 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Slightly off topic, but still in line with the discussion, here is an old informative article to further your education and increase the arguments

Buying Used Tires, The Born-on Date Debate
Old 08-20-2016, 03:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Just to throw something else out there, tires seem to be more reliable if not run it close (or over) their weight capacity. RV's notoriously weigh more than their published empty weight, and folks tend to underestimate how much "stuff" they have.

When the load range E LT's my camper came with were gettig old, load range G wasn't that much extra money. Ride quality doesn't seem to have changed, and although the E's were within their rating, the G's have a lot more margin, I guess you'd say.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:37 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
I believe my tire failed for lack of air pressure. I eyeballed it bulging slightly but assumed it was because of the uncomfortable to walk on uneven pavement it was on. Should have gauged it.

Not to change the subject, but a roll of flex-mend tape arrived today. I believe it will do the trick.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
Just to throw something else out there, tires seem to be more reliable if not run it close (or over) their weight capacity. RV's notoriously weigh more than their published empty weight, and folks tend to underestimate how much "stuff" they have.

When the load range E LT's my camper came with were gettig old, load range G wasn't that much extra money. Ride quality doesn't seem to have changed, and although the E's were within their rating, the G's have a lot more margin, I guess you'd say.
Was that a typo?

And I agree in having as much weight capacity in a tire as you can for the application. That is as long as the tread is capable of wearing flat and correct.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My tire blew and did about the same amount of damage, after going to better tires I covered the torn area with a sheet of aluminum to try and protect the TT if they blow again. I also found out the reason I was having tire problem was the valve stems were bad and they were replaced when the tires were changed. I went to metal bolt in valve stems and have had no more problems.

Quick Reply: Tire failure damage.