Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

ROCKSTAR Hitch Mounted Mud Flaps "Review"

Old 12-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
ROCKSTAR Hitch Mounted Mud Flaps "Review"

ROCKSTAR Hitch Mounted Mud Flaps Review!

Love This Product!

http://shop.agricover.com/category/rockstar
Attached Thumbnails ROCKSTAR Hitch Mounted Mud Flaps "Review"-lary-128-2-.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
ACCESS (04-22-2016)
Old 12-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Admin Team Leader

I had been looking to find a product that would allow me to curb some of the dirt and debris from damaging my trailers when I was towing them. I live in the coal fields of WV and the amount of dirt debris that kicks up from the tires of my truck is unbelievable especially in the fall and winter months.

I was in contact with Agri-Cover Inc, the makers of the Rockstar Series of Hitch Mounted Mud Flaps and decided to give them a try. I liked the idea of being able to use them when needed, while removal is as simple as pulling the hitch pin and sliding the hitch out.

The product arrived in 3 business days, it was packaged well and I proceeded to remove the contents and spread them out so I could confirm everything was indeed there for the installation. I always pay close attention to how a product is packaged, it says a lot about how much pride a company has in its product lines.
Attached Thumbnails ROCKSTAR Hitch Mounted Mud Flaps "Review"-lary-116.jpg   ROCKSTAR Hitch Mounted Mud Flaps "Review"-lary-119.jpg  
ACCESS (04-22-2016)
Old 12-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Admin Team Leader

I started by assembling the clamp, by sliding the two long bolts into the two halves and attaching the washers and nuts. Length was not important at this time so I left it loose.

Next I attached the clamp to the backside of the frame using four short carriage bolts, flat washers and lock washers so the nuts would face the vehicle, with the nuts on the long bolts facing down ward (this would make adjustment easier later on). All bolts were left loose at this time.
Attached Thumbnails ROCKSTAR Hitch Mounted Mud Flaps "Review"-lary-120.jpg   ROCKSTAR Hitch Mounted Mud Flaps "Review"-lary-121.jpg  
ACCESS (04-22-2016)
Old 12-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Admin Team Leader

Next I carried the frame outside to the truck and slid a ball mount into the clamp on the frame. I then lifted the assembly and slid the ball mount into the hitch and secured it with a hitch pin. Next I attached the support flanges on the frame so they fit as far out as possible on the bumper step, leaving a gap between the frame and the bumper to avoid rubbing.

Next pushing down firmly on the top of the frame at the bumper step I tightened the top bolts equally on both sides after making sure everything was level and plumb and then tightened them to 32 ft lbs using a torque wrench.

Then I tightened the long bolts to secure the frame to the ball mount (32 ft lbs) and then tightened the lower carriage bolts to (32ft lbs) as well. Making sure all the nuts were at the proper torque once completed.
Attached Thumbnails ROCKSTAR Hitch Mounted Mud Flaps "Review"-lary-122.jpg   ROCKSTAR Hitch Mounted Mud Flaps "Review"-lary-123.jpg   ROCKSTAR Hitch Mounted Mud Flaps "Review"-lary-124.jpg  
ACCESS (04-22-2016)
Old 12-17-2013, 10:07 AM
Admin Team Leader

Now with the rubber flaps oriented per the instructions I bolted them in place using 3 short carriage bolts, flat washers, lock washers and nuts. These were tightened until the washers started to compress into the rubber.

Lastly I attached the small stabilizer brackets to the frame with the remaining small carriage bolts, washers and nuts. The kit comes with 2 round adhesive protective discs to place where the stabilizers touch the bumper, however I did not attach them at the time of this article because the temps were in the low 30’s, too cold to get good adhesion.
Attached Thumbnails ROCKSTAR Hitch Mounted Mud Flaps "Review"-lary-126.jpg   ROCKSTAR Hitch Mounted Mud Flaps "Review"-lary-127.jpg  
Old 12-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Admin Team Leader

Conclusions:

Very nice, High Quality product that was a cinch to install and I am certain will give many years of great service. The ONLY thing I had problems with was the frame had some very sharp edges on it from the manufacturing process. Knowing my Grandkids can’t keep from handling everything I took a flat file and fixed that issue in less than 10 minutes with no noticeable marks.

If you are looking for something to keep all that road grime off your bumper pull trailers, this is a GREAT product and I highly recommend it!

Tools Needed for Install:
9/16” Box Wrench
9/16” deep socket
Torque Wrench (ft lbs)
Utility Knife and Straight edge to trim flaps if needed
Safety Glasses (old habit but a good one)

The final photo is prior to trimming the length of the flaps, most people trim them 4 to 5 inches from the ground. Since we have snow and ice on the ground here I will wait until better weather to do that as well.

I drove these in the rain the other day and was amazed by the amount of water and ground debris they kept off my trailer, wish I had gotten something like this years ago!
Attached Thumbnails ROCKSTAR Hitch Mounted Mud Flaps "Review"-lary-128-3-.jpg  
ACCESS (04-22-2016)
Old 12-17-2013, 01:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks good Top wished I would have had something like this last year to protect the paint on my car.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:32 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Just saw this.

Nice product and write up Top!!
Old 04-22-2016, 10:59 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the great review!

Since this review was posted, we expanded our line of ROCKSTAR Hitch Mounted Mud Flaps to include three more sizes to let you choose your level of protection. See all of the sizes here, including our 3XL model, which is perfect for dually pickups.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very good write up, looks like a great product, might keep the front of my 5th wheel a lot cleaner, cheer`s