Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Are Ragen toy haulers good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are rampage toy haulers good?

Anything about rampage Toy Haulers I should know about? I am thinking about buying one tomorrow.

Does anyone have any comments on Toy Hauler length? Like is a 26 footer a good length? Or is that too long. Does anyone have a preference for length of a toy hauler?

Last edited by rogerL1961; 11-30-2007 at 03:02 PM. Reason: messed up the brand
Old 11-30-2007, 03:40 PM

What are you using it for, how many people are gonna be in it, etc...

That's what should determine what length you wanna go with.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:42 PM

I have 3 quads

might take 4 to 6 people along

Does a 26 footer seem long to most people? Or is it something you get used to?
Old 11-30-2007, 03:42 PM
RRC

It all depends on what toys you have to put in it. I had a Rampage 327(33 ft. 5er). Had to sell it to step up to a Rampage 387(40 ft. 5er) becasue are toys grew up with our kids! As said before I am on my second Skyline product, I think they are one of the few companys that seem to have some sort of well managed quality control programs at there plants. A lot of companys are sacraficing quality because of the amount of rigs the put out. All companys will have there good and bad, I chose a second Skyline because we had such good luck with our first one. I would reccomend going to there website and checking out there factory tour, it really shows how thorough they are in building them. One of the things I like about Skyline is there posted weight is always accurate, so what you see is what you get on the weight sticker. good luck...
Old 11-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Banned

thats not that big, my boat is 27' and its like nothing is back there

brett
Old 11-30-2007, 04:03 PM

Are you referring to just it's length? If so, it's really not that much. I tow a 35' TT and although it's a lengthy beast, its nothing terrible. The bigger you go the more comfortable its going to be for you and your guests. That's something to consider. If a TH lists 6 as a capacity, thats probably a bed for two, a fold down couch for two, and your breakfast table that lays flat for two. Doesn't really make that 6 seem so appealing, does it?

If it were me I'd buy the biggest I could afford because odds are your toys are going to get bigger, even if you don't always have that many people.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:08 PM

Here's ours. It has 2 electric queens in the rear, one queen up front and both couches turn into singles. We can fit 2 full size quads in there. It's a Weekend Warrior FS2300.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
If it were me I'd buy the biggest I could afford because odds are your toys are going to get bigger, even if you don't always have that many people.

I agree 100%.

Our 23-footer is OK for me and my girlfriend, but we're already thinking of going bigger.

You can fit a lot of stuff into a toy hauler.
Our friends put 4 full-size quads in their 19-footer, tetris-style. He has to remove one front wheel off of one quad, but that's it.

We've put 3 full-size quads in ours, no problem. Could have put another one in there is we used up more of the kitchen/forward area.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had a 29' Fury TH that had the front queen and the dual rear queens. We slept 8 using one person on the sofa-bed and one on the dinette bed. VERY comfortable, but we grew to HATE the front bed that you had to climb on to make the bed. We also bought a sandrail that wouldn't fit in it... Our next TH will be a 5th wheel for OUR comfort, any tag along guests can make due with the leftover accomodations!
Old 12-01-2007, 04:19 AM

That is an interesting statement about having to climb on the bed to make it. I didn't think about that.

So you did like the front sleeper though right? Other than it needed a few feet on it on either side?
Old 12-01-2007, 07:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I remember looking at the Ragen line at an RV show.

No offense to anyone, but I wasn't too impressed. The price was reasonable but they had metal framework exposed on folding furnature, kind of thin padding, and a gas spring system for a drop down bed that I didn't like. (Maybe that's changed). Overall it just didn't look like a comfortable place to relax after a full day riding.

On the other hand, if I recall correctly they were below average price.

I've got a 30' 5th wheel with seperate garage at the moment. I can get it pretty much everywhere I've wanted, and I've come to realize I could get a bigger rig in those same places without too much more work, and I'd like a sleeper sofa in addition to the dinette.

Anyway, before you decide, I'd suggest hitting a big RV show. Take your digital camera and start the photos of each unit you look at with a shot of the poster about what it is and who carries it. They will run together after a while. Pulling a couple of drawers out and looking at the inside of the cabinetry is a good way to judge quality level and attention to detail (press board and staples, particle board and screws, hardwood plywood and dovetails/screws).

Secondly, I'd highly suggest starting with a good clean used one if this is your first toy hauler (unless money is no object). Those things depreciate hugely in the first year, even if they only get used one weekend and still have plastic over the upholstery. Everyone I know who got an RV learned from the first one what size/type/features they really wanted, and you would take a beating upgrading in a year or two if you buy new.

The RV show is a good place to get an idea of what models have floor plans and quality you like, to then search the internet...
Old 12-01-2007, 01:17 PM

thats great advise...I love this website!!!!

I accidentally put Ragen up there but I meant Rampage.....I edited it right away but it didn't change the heading.....

Hope to see you all out there camping!
Old 12-01-2007, 10:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The Rampage 5th wheels I've seen were a step up...

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:55 AM

I bought the 26 foot Rampage Front sleeper.

It came with the electric hitch.

I am excited to get out and use my truck!!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rogerL1961
That is an interesting statement about having to climb on the bed to make it. I didn't think about that.

So you did like the front sleeper though right? Other than it needed a few feet on it on either side?
Loved the front sleeper. Trailer beds are a lot like hotels in that a queen bed is smaller than a normal bed at home. A separate bedroom area for us was great with a LITTLE privacy.

Quick Reply: Are Ragen toy haulers good?