Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Dometic Refrigerator Recall

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the info. mine is on the recall. i have been living in my camper while remodeling my house. kinda scary that the fridge could cause a fire or whatever else.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:21 AM

Wanted to keep this one going and say a quick "Thanks!" that this thread was here. Found out my refigerator was covered in May. It took out the cooling unit that was also covered. Took until last month to get the parts in at the shop (because of a large back-log).

All better now and I actually have a refigerator that works! Thanks DTR and other concerned users for the heads-up.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:15 AM

They just started round 3 of notifying people of the recall, got my 3rd today.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:36 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Dad and I both had ours done last month. No damage on either one of our units. It only took about an hour to put the new stuff in.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:10 AM
Banned

Wish I could have read this sooner. Just bought a new to me 2004 289 Rampage toy hauler had it two and a half weeks. Sitting in the parking lot with nothing on but the refigerator caught itself on fire and burnt down. Couldnt get any formal investigation insurance co just hauled it off and gave me a check. Makes me worry though my 9 year old son and I were going camping 2 days later.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:00 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW.

I guess consider yourself LUCKY then!
Old 01-03-2008, 04:59 PM

I think Dometic waits for another unit to catch fire and when they find out they add it to the list. They are not handling this very well.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:11 AM
Banned

My rampage after 2 weeks

rampage pics
Attached Thumbnails Dometic Refrigerator Recall-rampage_fire%5B1%5D-2-.jpg   Dometic Refrigerator Recall-rampage_firefighters.jpg   Dometic Refrigerator Recall-rampage_2.jpg  
Old 03-30-2008, 12:10 PM

Just got mine back. The dealer put a kit and aluminum box around it. Recall came thru mail and said that you might get more than one notice sent out for the same recall for the same travel trailer.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:06 PM
PCM

Well, from my understanding, this recall is only to install the aluminum kit that will help keep the refrig/rv from catching fire. The real problem lies in refrig failure which would led to a fire. SO, the poorly designed/poor quality refrig leading to failure is the real issue here.
If the refrig does not fail due to poor quality/design, no fire!
So, I guess we can all epect a failure maybe sooner than later???
I hae heard that running it on gas is beter for the longevity??? PCM
Old 05-20-2008, 09:16 PM
PCM

Originally Posted by PCM
Well, from my understanding, this recall is only to install the aluminum kit that will help keep the refrig/rv from catching fire. The real problem lies in refrig failure which would led to a fire. SO, the poorly designed/poor quality refrig leading to failure is the real issue here.
If the refrig does not fail due to poor quality/design, no fire!
So, I guess we can all epect a failure maybe sooner than later???
I hae heard that running it on gas is beter for the longevity??? PCM
Sounds like they (Dometic) basiclly admit to a poor quality boiler design that IS going to rupture - maybe sooner than later - and has the potential to cause a fire. I can't see the purpose of the sheild being that the entire back and sides of the regrig enclosure all the way up to the roof top vent is luan board and plastic. Seems the sheild will just contain the fire INSIDE the refrig access area as oppossed to the fire shooting out of the access panel!!!

Come on Dometic!!! You people have been in the rv refrig business for years and with a decent reputation. Protect your reputation and the consumer and step up to the plate. Offer to replace the boiler tubes with a new design OR at least extend the warranty for a longer period of time to protect customers finanacilly from what could be a very costly repair down the road. I think all of us should contact them. Voices are heard in numbers. PCM
Old 05-26-2008, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Later Model Fridges Accepted, Too!

My Dometic fridge is in a fifth wheel I bought last May (2007 model) and it is also on the recall list. So, the recall DOESN'T stop with the 2004 models. Go to the following website to see if yours is on the list:

CLICK HERE

(Actual URL: http://www.dometicusa.com/recall.php)
Old 05-30-2008, 09:31 PM

Guys it has been updated to 06 or 07 ones now I just had mine fixed last week. I had a local mobile man come to my house and fix mine it is a 06 montana by keystone. Ck the dometic site and have your model and Serial number handy some of the operators dont know about the new ones yet just stay on them they will fix it. It is a 30 min fix with a few parts and sheetmetal pcs.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:36 AM

Mine ruptured and filled the trailer with a really strong ammonia smell. Had flourescent green goop leaking from the tubes by the heating element. I shut it down as soon as the smell hit me, but who knows what would have happened if I hadn't been in it. They had to replace everything on the back of my fridge except the fan.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:02 AM

I had this happen to me, let camping world do the recall repair and it still did
cost me 300.00 dollars. camping world said the fees where for installation and
other misc. junk, I think camping world got to me, plus they messed up some
of the wood trim and bottom trim, I wasnt happy with there work, shelby

Quick Reply: Dometic Refrigerator Recall