Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Camper Top Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 02:57 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Camper Top Suggestions

Thought I'd try this one here since it hasn't brought many repsonses in the Other forum.

I'm looking to get a truck cap (camper top) for my new 03 3500 Quad SB. What are some good brands to look at. I've been told Lund, Covermaster, Jeracho and Covercraft so far. I've looked at the Jeracho and the Covermaster online. I really like the Covermaster so far. Can't find anything on the other two. You guys got any suggestons/recommendations??

Also...some of these come with a third brake light and a dome light on the inside. Where would the wiring for these hook up at? Is there a harness somewhere??

Also...if anyone has a picture of an 03 short bed with the cap on it I'd really like to see one.

I'm looking for something along these lines...

Old 05-29-2003, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Camper Top Suggestions

I have the CoverMaster on my 2001 2500. I have been satisified with it so far. I have the lower model because of the price. I remember seeing the one in the picture when I ordered mine from Truckers Toy Store in Morehead City NC. The electrical connections were made by tapping into the rear tail light wires. They used a 4 wire trailer harness so there would be a plug to unhook if I ever wanted to take the cover off. By wiring it in this way, the tail lights must be on for the dome light to work in the cover.<br><br>Bill
Old 05-29-2003, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Camper Top Suggestions

I have a ARE top on my long box...I shopped around a lot and found that the lower priced brands were not built very sturdy...give 'em a slap on the side and you'll hear the difference between the density (and thickness?) of fiberglass, and look at the rails. After that, between high end tops, it comes down to price, style, and dealer service. So far I've lived thru only one hail storm and no damage - and no colour fading. Colour match on the ARE was darn near perfect too.