Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

2015 f350 6.7 powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 f350 6.7 powerstroke

Well i havent posted on here in a long while, but the company i work for just bought me a new/used 2015 f350 crew cab 4wd 6.7 flat bed. only had 15k and some change on it. I know most everyone on here are dodge owners, or cummins owners with dodge trucks, but i wasnt all that impressed with the towing performance. Everything i've heard from numerous people is that this truck is a beast. Im not knocking ford; the truck handles the weight i tow great, and the transmission is really good, but from 50mph to 80mph i wouldnt want to live on the difference compared to the exact truck in size but a 2000 7.3 with a ts performance tuner on it and a built 4spd auto and 298,000 miles. the 7.3 also got better towing mileage with the way i drive (8.5mph versus 7 to 7.5 with the new truck). Also this truck is very close to the 07.5 dodge 6spd man, straight cab 4wd 1ton i had before the 7.3. My total loaded trailer weight is at 16k even( 4500# 26' gooseneck lowboy, 10,500# kubota 121-3 mini-ex, plus 2 extra digging buckets and tools). Anyhoo, its a great truck, just not the rocket ship i hear everyone talking about. Although empty, it is fast!! hahaha. Any thoughts?
Old 05-15-2016, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Yes Sir, I have some thoughts and opinions on the newer 2012-2015 Ford 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Pickups.

FWIW,....I have been a diehard Dodge CTD owner since 1992 having owned five of them. I still own my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve and will never get rid of that truck. In 2014, my 2006 Dodge CTD CR developed a slight "knocking" in cold weather. The truck had 200,000 miles on it and because of the value and cost to repair what was thought to be a rod bearing, I decided to buy new. I have never liked the 4th Gen Ram Trucks and hate the fact that the owner has to do that "EGR/Turbo Cleaning" of the soot @ 67,000 miles! I have helped some friends do it and have to say it is one NASTY job! Also, I am tired of the constant front end issues that Dodge has had with so many of their trucks, including my own!

So, after having driven several of my friends new Ford Super Duty 6.7 Powerstroke Diesels, I bought a new 2014 Ford 6.7 Lariat Powerstoke Diesel Super Duty, 4X4, Crew Cab, Short Bed. I have almost 45,000 miles on it and am very pleased with the truck. I tow my 1996 Dodge CTD drag truck on a 24' "Kaufman" Flatbed all over the eastern part of the U.S. including up the steep 4-5% grades of I-77 in Va. and W.Va. The truck has performed great and the mileage is better than what I got towing the same trailer with my 2006 Dodge, although the Dodge had a "Smarty" Programmer on it. The Ford has plenty of power and the transmission doesn't "hunt" as much as the 48RE did although that is 6-speed vs 4-speed. Also, the interior of the Ford is very comfortable and quieter than my Dodge was. I also don't have to worry about the front end coming apart as Ford builds a much heavier unit than Dodge in my opinion. The EGR cooler and emissions system on the Ford is twice as large as the Dodge unit and there is no "maintenance requirement"
to clean it out at 67,000 miles! That maintenance on the 4th Gen Dodge CTD CR EGR Cooler and Turbo is one NASTY, DIRTY job!!

--------
John_P
Old 05-15-2016, 12:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I looked and drove the Fords but the newer 6.7 900 and Aisin 69 were smoother and had quicker pickup. The Laramie Limited trim lever has no comparison at ford or gm AND IS JUST OR MORE COMFORTABLE ON LONG TRIPS.

I always get full one inch thick shearling seat covers and they make life way easier driving.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi John. Been a while since i last seen you. I was in the Corps several years back. I came out to a dyno event with ole pete slayden out near raleigh think it was in 07. I remember you "warming" all four tires in the street in front of the shop!! it was awesome!! Anyhoo, im not knocking the ford. i completely agree with your comments on these fords. the interior is very nice as well for a plain work truck. Glad yours is working out for you! I dont get on the internet much anymore. get home from work and its kids supper and bed time now. funny how things change haha
Old 05-25-2016, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Southern Pride
Hi John. Been a while since i last seen you. I was in the Corps several years back. I came out to a dyno event with ole pete slayden out near raleigh think it was in 07. I remember you "warming" all four tires in the street in front of the shop!! it was awesome!! Anyhoo, im not knocking the ford. i completely agree with your comments on these fords. the interior is very nice as well for a plain work truck. Glad yours is working out for you! I dont get on the internet much anymore. get home from work and its kids supper and bed time now. funny how things change haha
-------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the memories Sir!

Yes, I do remember that event back in 2007 in Raleigh. We used to have alot of fun at those dyno days and drag races. I still have my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve and will NEVER get rid of that truck.

I still attend some of the drag race events through the ODSS Series but it is mainly to help my good friend Dan Scheid with his 6-second "Scheid Diesel Dragster." I have also attended a few of the local diesel drag races in eastern N.C., but not as much as I used to.

Anyway, it is good to hear from you Sir!