Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

2.5" Shank Pintle

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 11:04 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
nothings come out in this my friend

towing that heavy tho, aside from articulation being a reason, is there any other why you wouldn't consider a gooseneck? (being you have a 7 ton dump already is the other obvious)

my hitches are custom made, and I have the buyers 8 ton for my bumper, and ive pulled about that much on it, but even on my 3500, I feel its too much tongue weight, so I limit to about 10K max on the bumper...
Thanks.

While I was rebuilding the trailer, I did consider a goose conversion. From a weight carrying stand point, it makes sense. The main issue I had was that the goose makes the trailer a lot less maneuverable in tight areas when backing up. I frequently find myself squeezing this trailer into tight spots that there is no doubt in my mind I would not get to if it was a goose.

It also limits what I can hook the trailer up to. I have towed the dump with my CJ from time to time (empty on the road). I used it for all terrain firewood collection. I'm not sure the opportunity would arise again to do that but I would like to keep the option.

I have no issue with the weight on the tongue. The truck is long enough and heavy enough to deal with the weight and the rear springs put up with it just fine. It actually rides nice with the extra weight. lol
Old 11-21-2015, 12:08 PM
Chapter President

Well, ho-lee crap...

Someone finally makes one. Just what the doctor ordered:

Curt Pintle Hook for 2-1/2" Hitches - 20,000 lbs Curt Ball Mounts C48010
Old 11-21-2015, 02:39 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by CTD NUT
Well, ho-lee crap...

Someone finally makes one. Just what the doctor ordered:

Curt Pintle Hook for 2-1/2" Hitches - 20,000 lbs Curt Ball Mounts C48010
Very impressive, with the price of oil so low it's created a real problem of theft here and I often wonder about my trailers. I've thought about converting to pintle style hitch but the 2 1/2 inch thing was holding me back. Now for the price of that Curt I may just do it. The company I worked for before I retired only used pintle hitches on every single piece of equipment, it made hooking up with anything to anything a breeze.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't think converting to pintle hitch is much of a theft deterrent. If you are willing to steal a trailer you won't think twice about stealing the receiver out of the back of someones truck.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:08 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by cLAYH
I don't think converting to pintle hitch is much of a theft deterrent. If you are willing to steal a trailer you won't think twice about stealing the receiver out of the back of someones truck.
Agreed but not everyone has a 2 1/2 hitch. Anything you can do to slow them down after thieves almost getting my new dump trailer over the summer, they had unhooked it and were pulling it away from the truck using the light bar when they ripped the flimsy light bar off and it must have spooked them. We now padlock one of the safety chains to the hitch, I know that can be cut too. If the Lunnette ring was tack welded to the trailer and a spot of weld in the other holes would ensure that a pintle hitch had to be used, that coupled with a 5/8 bolt and a 12 point lock nut for the pintle hitch. I've also removed the drop down jack so you need a pretty heavy jack too.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Busboy
Agreed but not everyone has a 2 1/2 hitch. Anything you can do to slow them down after thieves almost getting my new dump trailer over the summer, they had unhooked it and were pulling it away from the truck using the light bar when they ripped the flimsy light bar off and it must have spooked them. We now padlock one of the safety chains to the hitch, I know that can be cut too. If the Lunnette ring was tack welded to the trailer and a spot of weld in the other holes would ensure that a pintle hitch had to be used, that coupled with a 5/8 bolt and a 12 point lock nut for the pintle hitch. I've also removed the drop down jack so you need a pretty heavy jack too.
No I meant they could walk thru any mall parking lot and have their pick of receivers, ball or pintle. Changing your trailer over to pintle isn't going to slow them down at all. Best bet is to have a hitch lock on the ball or lunette or a boot type wheel lock.

Ball hitches are easy to lock ss you can just flip the latch down and run a padlock thru it.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:15 AM
Chapter President

Yes, I am a fan of pintle hitches for durability and ease of use. I'm happy to see someone finally made a proper 2.5" class 5 draw bar pintle.

I found a local Curt dealer that even stocks it for a fair price. I hope to pick it up in the next week or so.