Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

where to pull power for 12v acc

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to pull power for 12v acc

for use in my truck cap. i want to add some lights in my side tool boxes and in the cap and on the sides of the truck and behind the truck. i looked under the hood today and thought maybe i would just run a new line from the battery back to a new fuse block installed in one of my tool boxes. any other suggestions?

also anyone have any suggestions on 12v lights i could wire in. i need some that should be moderate bright and some to be bright for behind the truck and sides. maybe led's?

i also want to add a 12 v power supply and i want the main line to be able to disconnect to remove the cap.

i also wonder what gauge wire to run? i may use a 12v air pump or spot light or 12v fan at the 12 power supply.

thanks for any help...
Old 11-26-2006, 01:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really liked that painless wiring kit genos offered. Lets you tap into something ignition hot just once for the relay, then pull power from the battery through some fuses. Makes it easier to setup several circuits instead of one big loop so troubleshooting is easier. 18 gauge wire should be ok for 10amps or less.
You can poke around under the dash with a meter and see whats hot easy enough. I cant remember what I tapped into for the relay, I think it was simply the cigarette lighter.
Id buy a couple spools of wire and fish 2 or 3 runs inside some wire loom, that way you have room for expansion later. Looks a lot neater too.
Label it all up now, saves many headaches later
Old 11-26-2006, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I have pic in my gallery, but just mount a fuse panel from delcity.net under the hood. The fuse panel has a 8ga feed and 6 fused circuit. All my acc are ran off of it. 2 12V outlets by the back seat, an extra 12V in the bed and my topper light, reverse lights and 2 lights under the truck. I mounted 2 of them under the hood.
Forgot about posting pix. U can see them in the upper right corner. There are more wires on them now.