Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

what is with the stacks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I make my own fuel as well, but since I rarely take trips over 3 hours I am lucky enough to be able to make it back home to fuel up most the time. I have even considered putting a tank in the bed of my truck, which would be difficult with stacks. They do make larger fuel tanks you can buy however they are pricey and I believe they also hang a few inches lower. If I did put a tank in the bed of my truck, I was thinking the easiest and most simple way would be to just plumb a 5/8 inch line from the bottom of the fuel tank to the top of my factory tank with a ball valve. Once my factory tank was less than full, open the valve till it fills up and then close it.....
Old 05-01-2014, 10:07 AM

The easy way is use a ford dual tank valve....positive and negitive pole....they are like 12-15$ at oriellys and gravity feed into the oem tank. I put a t into the over vent line to the cap area.The whole thing costs less than a ball valve and you can do it while driving down the road.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smoke

The stacks look silly - but I want to know how it became cool to "roll coal"! Belching smoke like a Chinese factory is cool?
Maybe I'm too old (50) but I've been a hot rodder all my life and to me, belching smoke = piece of junk!
Old 06-30-2016, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Monstermaker
The stacks look silly - but I want to know how it became cool to "roll coal"! Belching smoke like a Chinese factory is cool?
Maybe I'm too old (50) but I've been a hot rodder all my life and to me, belching smoke = piece of junk!
I think some confuse the smoke from a legitimate pulling vehicle with the overfueled mess they have.

That's the only thing that remotely makes sense, it also shows they don't know much about diesels.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:37 PM

Ultimate stack
Attached Thumbnails what is with the stacks?-image.jpeg  
Old 10-22-2016, 03:39 PM

And then there is this one!
Attached Thumbnails what is with the stacks?-image.jpeg  
Old 10-22-2016, 04:30 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by bentwings
And then there is this one!
Must be better, it's BIGGER!!!
Old 10-23-2016, 12:13 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
I know people love to harass the less aesthetically pleasing vehicles roaming the streets.....but in all honesty I really dont care what anyone does to their trucks or cars. Its theirs and if it makes them like their stuff that much more then who am I to tell them otherwise. It may be funny looking but the reference of ego or genitalia is just equally immature. We've all done something to our rides because.....well.....we like it.

As long as its not polluting more, which draws attention to the EPA transient brown nose climate change followers, or dangerous to others, I could care less. Heck, it gives me something to look at since if every car and truck looked the same then this would be terribly boring out on the road and look more like a third world society where everyone drives around the same pile of crap because thats all they have.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Back in the 80s I had a gorgeous 1985 F250 6.9 with twin 4" stacks with 'flap caps". It looked great. But it also was very messy and covered the truck with soot, and it made the front part of the bed unuseable. At that time it looked unique because there were so few diesel pickups on the road but now I see stacks everywhere....These are the guys that "roll coal" on my hemi power wagon...but I'd a done the same 35 years ago so it doesn't bother me.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 10-26-2016, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by b.lee
Dude is using actual stove pipe, like from a wood burning stove, DANG.

Ok, stacks are not my thing but as long as the truck is tuned and not smoking out the road, its all good as a cosmetic thing. We were all young and dumb once... That said aside from sled pulling I can think of two actual reasons to run your exhaust this way. (1) If this rig is a dedicated off road rig that will be mud bogging or fording water. In that case yes you want to get both the air intake and the exhaust up above the hood line if not above the roof line and (2) if you want.to run a spare gas tank for whatever reason and you need the space underneath. Aside from that get pics if you are related so that once they are older you can bust them out and mess with him . Enjoy.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
For those of you who say they have never seen a farmer running the exhaust other than under the truck then you dont live out west in wheat country. I will be putting stacks on my truck as soon as I can afford them for the above reason of being in and out of fields as well as hauling livestock. Now, my truck dosen't smoke much unless i really get on it while shifting but i would much rather have the exhaust go up and over the trailer rather than up and in. I also work around the bed of my truck often with the engine running and would prefer the noise and heat not be in the immediate area as to where I am working.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2 schools of thought. Love 'em or hate 'em. One hole in the bed and a Y pipe divides
the flow. Did not cut a hole in my truck box, moved it back about 6 inches. I do not
run any muffler yet it is fairly quite inside and out. Most of the sound goes straight up.
You can have a normal conversation in the cab without raising your voice. Nothing in
the truck bed has caught fire or been burned. Any smoke goes straight up and not into
whoever is next to me. Your truck, you decide.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:45 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rightwinger
I have been noticing a trend with the younger kids putting insanely large stacks on their diesel trucks, heck even some gassers around here now have them. I realize for sled pulling trucks this is a requirement in some cases. Am I the only one that thinks cutting 2 holes in the bed of a perfectly good truck and running two 8 inch stacks or larger stacks looks utterly stupid? Tractor trailers do this for a reason....that I can understand....people doing it to their trucks I can't. I realize I'll probably **** a bunch of people off here and thats not my intent, I'm just asking if there is some purpose that I am completely missing here. I realize each person has their own taste and a different set of opinions and thats cool, but just wondering if there is any practical lodgic to this. The truck I saw today was running two 12 inch wide stacks, the poor kid couldn't even see out his back window not only because of the size but he had soot all over the glass and white paint because he cut them really low. I see this stuff a lot and also see these kids smoking out entire intersections thinking its really cool, no wonder the EPA is cracking down on diesel trucks. I am running a 50/50 blend of D2 and WMO and other than a little puff of smoke occasionally, my truck has never painted an entire intersection black like some of these kids are doing. I work full time as a police officer and try to turn a blind eye to this stuff as much as possible just because I absolutely love diesel trucks, and I have YET to ever write a ticket for smoking out an intersection....but I have pulled a few kids over and explained my genuine concern about this. ok, I'm done ranting....just curious about ya'lls thoughts on this. Thanks
I agree, wife and I seen a dodge in wal-mart parking lot with two 8 inch stacks and it had a hemi in it.I bet it sounded like a ticked off bumble bee in a cofee can.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:31 PM
BHD

Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts
My favorite is the stacks in the bed that aren't taller than the cab. Usually "Junior" has the fuel turned up and the entire back end of the truck is covered in soot. Good job buddy.

I am currently building a 74 CrewCab with a 5.9BT. I kicked around the idea of running a single stack in front of the right step side bed fender, but I don't want to be in the "smoke stack" community so I'll probably dump it under the bed.

Last edited by BHD; 02-10-2017 at 05:33 PM. Reason: type-0