Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What are the little things to tune our trucks

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the little things to tune our trucks

I have heard it many times and and read it before on different sites. What do all you guys do to tune the trucks that extra little bit. I have heard Rod say every engine runs differnt there is nothing more true then that but if you plug a comp in what can you do to tune it afterwards? I don't get it am I missing something? Haven't I done everything right with my setup? Please fill me in on this tuning as stated on TST's site they claim they can "tune" an extra 15 - 50 HP after mods how is this done?
Old 04-23-2003, 10:37 AM
Banned

Re:What are the little things to tune our trucks

They probably plug into ECM or PCM and dune some fine tuning. Tuning to fine for a Comp or similar box to do.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:05 PM

I would like to have mine tuned if possible come on Rod I'll bite what do you do?
Old 04-23-2003, 01:52 PM

[quote author=BigBlue link=board=7;threadid=13928;start=0#130961 date=1051112257]<br>They probably plug into ECM or PCM and dune some fine tuning. [/quote]<br><br>No, least not yet. <br><br>Marco is working on hisown ECM, and TST used to flash to the 275hp program, but Cummins shut him down on it. He wasn't the only one doing it, but just one of the more noticable people.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:10 PM

Does the cummins flash make any difference?
Old 04-23-2003, 04:42 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=Jamie Attridge link=board=7;threadid=13928;start=0#131009 date=1051121101]<br>come on Rod I'll bite what do you do?<br>[/quote]<br><br>In the 24 valve world, there isn't much in the way of 'tuning' to be done after selection of your components is done, under the 500 pony mark anyway. As was mentioned, if you've got someone with the proper software, your timing/fueling parameters can all be messed with to fine tune the truck to your current mods. <br><br>Proper setup of a 'charger wastegate is another. Most of the 'chargers, as you buy them, will come wasted out inside their map, and an HX40 is often set to 38 PSI. You may need to change this to a lower or higher number, depending on your elevation, mods, and just the way your truck runs. It involves slowly adjusting pressure up and down, until your EGT reductions are at max, and your power is at max levels. To throw another curve at things, these two points may not be at the same waste point, but they likely are close. When you purchase the turbo, it should already be 'tuned' with the appropriate housing for the type of driving and power that you want. Remember, it may not possible to build 550 HP and still have a turbo that spools yesterday, while keeping EGTs in check all the while ensuring that you won't have a compressor wheel landing in your lap after torching that WRX.<br><br>Simply injector selection is important. Mongo power injectors may kill some bottom end, and you also don't want to mismatch the injector to the fueling box you're using. An EZ and MegaMentals is not a sweet combination. You'll be missing some power that you should otherwise have. Ditto on the RV275/PM3 Competition box. You're choking the boxes ability to perform with small injectors. I like Don's smoky, underpowered injectors as he spends some time with you and listens to what the truck is being used for, then selects an appropriate injector for the application.<br><br>As the power levels go up past 500, then there are other things that need doing. Wasting doggone near becomes an artform Twins need to be developed, and turbos selected with care. Even the plumbing needs to be done properly, and intercooler selection may become an issue in the future. The list goes on and on and on, and I suspect there are dozens of things that I haven't even touched on here.<br><br>Rod
Old 04-23-2003, 08:30 PM

I was told by a mechanic that adjusting the valves to 8/18 instead 10/20 will help with power some. Don't know anybody thats tried it tho and if they did, were they actually able to document the gain in performance.<br><br>Don't know exactly why tightening up the clearance would help unless it opens the valves further????<br><br>Roger
Old 04-23-2003, 11:28 PM
Banned

[quote author=Racer57 link=board=7;threadid=13928;start=0#131167 date=1051147846]<br><br>Don't know exactly why tightening up the clearance would help unless it opens the valves further????<br><br>Roger<br>[/quote]<br><br>I think you answered your own question. If not further, then maybe a tad longer.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the reply Rod hey whow did you know I torched a WRX? Actully it was my sisters we have it full mod and it goes good but my big daulie still trucks it! LOL Man I love killing imports makes me really happy! Rod what would you say is the best way to tune a wastegate on a dyno or out on the street?
Old 04-24-2003, 09:32 AM

Push Rod, with twin's the OEM CAC is a problem.<br><br>Racer...my valves are set at .006, .016.<br><br>Hit 40 PSI with the PDR40 the other day.... ;D I have not adjusted the wastgate in any way. 8) ;D
Old 04-24-2003, 09:55 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can tighten the valves a bit but as you do you also change a few things toward the negative not only the positive. 6 and 16 is within specs and not a prob.<br><br>I run less myself, but we are talking less than one pony for such things. <br><br>Don~<br><br>
Old 04-24-2003, 11:02 AM

I have heard that they can take your computer in a fine fine fine tune it. And yes I meant to say fine 3 times. Like superchips you can have then custom make it to were say if you have twins with stage 8 injectors not to smoke. but there no fun in that. But just people will go to extreme to get out the power out of there truck for less.<br>SD03