Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Turbo injector and exhaust combo

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 10:49 AM
I think I can... I think...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo injector and exhaust combo

Ok I'm looking to make a move on my truck but there are so many opinions out there.
So here is what I want to do;
I want to go with a full 4" exhaust (including downpipe) probably put a Donaldson muffler since I hate loud pipes but I desire maximum flow.
I would also like to go with DDP Stage IIs and from what I'm told I need to upgrade turbos but I want minimum lag....What brand and size? 62/65/14 has been suggested.
If not which turbo.
Would also like to do the 3000GSK and regrind my #10 to a #100.
The restriction here is I'd prefer not to do anything that would "REQUIRE" changing head studs. Although I believe that I once read where we can change them out 1 at a time thus not disturbing the gasket........thoughts?
I may do it anyway but I just don't want to over do things.
One last thing I want to be able to tow without massive EGTs. Probably won't tow anything over 15K.....most of the time it will be more like 5K.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:25 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A turbo upgrade will definitely be a good idea with the fuel that you are running there. The Super B turbo would be a good match to what you have there. You are going to have great bottom end throttle response and it flows 840cfm of air which is plenty for your top end. The kit comes ready to bolt on with a downpipe included. Feel free to shoot me an email or message me.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:10 PM

I have the exhaust and 3gsk already but want to do the exact same combo in the future, far future lol. From what ive read about these products DDP IIs and BD super B, or other equivelent turbo, they are a good match. So if you end up going with this setup make sure to let us know how it goes/ performes.

good luck, matt
Old 09-25-2009, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by kantdrive55
A turbo upgrade will definitely be a good idea with the fuel that you are running there. The Super B turbo would be a good match to what you have there. You are going to have great bottom end throttle response and it flows 840cfm of air which is plenty for your top end. The kit comes ready to bolt on with a downpipe included. Feel free to shoot me an email or message me.
Does the Super B come with the correct exhaust flange for a 4" downpipe? Also how would your 60+hp injectors match up to the DDP Stage IIs?
Old 09-25-2009, 03:03 PM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by capt.Ron
Does the Super B come with the correct exhaust flange for a 4" downpipe? Also how would your 60+hp injectors match up to the DDP Stage IIs?
Yes the Super B has the correct flange. It will come with its own downpipe. The 60hp injectors we have are the bosch 295 injectors. DDPs will probably perform a little better for you.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by kantdrive55
Yes the Super B has the correct flange. It will come with its own downpipe. The 60hp injectors we have are the bosch 295 injectors. DDPs will probably perform a little better for you.
Great!!
Thanks.
Can you explain the difference between the super B and the Super B special.
I'm searching through the forum and am finding lots on the special and from the reviews it's a great turbo for what it's built for but it doesn't fit my needs. Lot's of negatives for towing.
Can't seem to find a lot about the Super B.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:48 PM
DTR Advertiser

Great!!
Thanks.
Can you explain the difference between the super B and the Super B special.
I'm searching through the forum and am finding lots on the special and from the reviews it's a great turbo for what it's built for but it doesn't fit my needs. Lot's of negatives for towing.
Can't seem to find a lot about the Super B.
The Super B Special was originally designed for higher hp guys that wanted to run a single turbo for some mild sled pulling. It fit the 2. something plug (cant remember which size, think the 2.8). The Special works much better when they are being driven hard. They are not a great towing turbo, they were never designed to be.
The Super B is a great all around turbo. It is a 57mm compressor wheel with extended tips. It will move 840cfm of air so it has great cooling in the top end, but also very good throttle response for when you are towing. Plus if you do out grow the Super B you can upgrade into the twin kit.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:28 PM

Anyone else wanna chime in on their experience with these (or any other)turbo and injectors?
What about stage 3s with the Super B??
Old 09-25-2009, 08:03 PM

Get rid of the K&N, do a "diesel rated" intake system or filter. I have heard DDP 2's will help with egts and mileage. I plan on running then down the road, S300 series turbos with a 12cm housing is going to be less laggy but offer a higher boost efficiency than the stock HX. There are a few 57mm inducer or 60mm, witch are suggested for people who tow. I am going to put a HTBG 57mm 12cm exhaust.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:06 PM

The restriction here is I'd prefer not to do anything that would "REQUIRE" changing head studs. Although I believe that I once read where we can change them out 1 at a time thus not disturbing the gasket........thoughts?
On 12 valves you have to machine the valve retainers due to the taller stud/bolt. It cost me $200 to have mine done but I had a full rebuild so the motor was already out.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:44 PM

Anyone else wanna chime in on their experience with these (or any other)turbo and injectors?
What about stage 3s with the Super B??
I cant tell you much from direct experience with perfomance of the Super B and DDP injectors. However, a couple weeks ago, I installed the Super B on my buddies 96 (Mods on the 96...10 plate, 370 marine injectors, head studs, Super B, 3gsk, 4" straight pipe, ATS 5 star tranny). It was a real easy bolt-up process. The downpipe was a perfect fit and clamped onto the back of the turbo via "v-band" style clamp. The directions were good and the swap was simple. The only thing I was curious about was on our test run after install, we were only seeing around 32 or so psi. Maybe an adjustment on the wastegatet is in order?? when I upgrade to a high perfomance turbo, I will likely get Super B. Seems like a real nice product.

Scott
Old 09-26-2009, 08:09 AM

I have the DDP IIs, a #6 plate, 4" exhaust, aftermarket intake and the super B. I swapped back and forth btwn it and the hx35 as I missed the bottom end driveability of the hx(it would zing right to 40psi) but would then switch back because I would miss the upper end power of the superB and got tired of driving around the barking .For some reason I could not get the Super B to spool up like I wanted no matter how much I played with the afc ( I actually had to tighten it up significantly from the hx settings). I switched to a 12cm housing(superB is 14cm) and it is better. I still don't like the fact that even with small throttle inputs in the warmer weather I have trouble pulling away up a hill without hazing someone in a convertable behind me.I am asking alot though considering I have 3.54 gears and a tight torque coverter. If I wasn't concerned about the smoke at light openings I would say the truck runs awesome.When I mash it the heavy smoke clears fairly quickly and egts are very controllable( set to waste at 35psi). Note : I did check drive pressures during all of my fiddling.hx would stay at a 1:1 until boost was very high.superb had 1:1 until about 10psi at which point boost would climb faster than drive pressure as was the same with the 12cm housing with slightly more drive pressure below 5psi. Maybe its the injectors( They haze at start up and for the first few miles)What's strange is that in very cold weather with the superB I sometimes have to cycle the heater twice to keep it running. With the hx she fires right up. . Even with a light right foot I have not been able to better my mileage and it is usually much lower than before.I'm done fiddlin for a while. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:16 PM

62/68/14 with a race cover and a "super62" wheel from Engineered Diesel(616)608-2977. Talk to Chris and tell him you want the "pipefitter model"
5x.012" injectors with the 145* spray pattern instead of ddps marine 155* pattern. You can get them from JL machine, Pure Diesel Power, New Era, FTE, etc.
I would do the 4k GSK, it fuels harder and gets you to 3300-3500 before it starts to defuel.
You can re-torque your head bolts to 120ft/lbs. Loosen them, put some arp moly lube under the bolt head and torque to 120ft/lbs. Many people have done this and have been able to hold 45+psi of boost. Heck, Jeff Garmon has been doing this for 15 years and he has twin turbo truck pushing 80+psi.

Bump your timing to 18* AFTER you retorque the head.

I run this combo now, and I tow a 12k travel trailer all over the usa and my EGTs stay under 1300*, and its good for 525-550hp to the wheels.

Only thing different is I have orings and arp studs.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by dieselman2300
62/68/14 with a race cover and a "super62" wheel from Engineered Diesel(616)608-2977. Talk to Chris and tell him you want the "pipefitter model"
Your saying that this would be a good turbo for both towing and daily driving?
What's the cost of this turbo?
Also why did they call it the "pipefitter model"?

5x.012" injectors with the 145* spray pattern instead of ddps marine 155* pattern. You can get them from JL machine, Pure Diesel Power, New Era, FTE, etc.
What does 5x0.12" mean in reference to injectors?
I didn't know that DDP was a marine injector?

I would do the 4k GSK, it fuels harder and gets you to 3300-3500 before it starts to defuel.
I had actually considered the home spun kit that "Gunracer1" had posted here some time back. Most folks posted good results with this and I believe it fuels past 3K as well.

You can re-torque your head bolts to 120ft/lbs. Loosen them, put some arp moly lube under the bolt head and torque to 120ft/lbs. Many people have done this and have been able to hold 45+psi of boost. Heck, Jeff Garmon has been doing this for 15 years and he has twin turbo truck pushing 80+psi.
Would you suggest doing this one bolt at a time or loosen all the bolts and do them all in pattern?
Can I upgrade the studs in the process....or should I?

Bump your timing to 18* AFTER you re-torque the head.
Yea I need to find a good mechanic in the DFW area (preferably southern DFW) that can do this for me.

I run this combo now, and I tow a 12k travel trailer all over the usa and my EGTs stay under 1300*, and its good for 525-550hp to the wheels.
Have you dyno-ed yours? What HP/torque are you pushing.

Only thing different is I have orings and arp studs.
Probably a great idea. What exactly are the o-rings for?
Sorry for all the questions just trying to get the big picture for each suggestion and requirement.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:40 PM

Your saying that this would be a good turbo for both towing and daily driving?
What's the cost of this turbo?
Also why did they call it the "pipefitter model"?

I'm a PipeFitter and I have sent Chris at Engineered Diesel a ton of buisness, so they called it the"PipeFitter model" (I feel famous)

What does 5x0.12" mean in reference to injectors?
I didn't know that DDP was a marine injector?

Sorry, 5x.012" its 5 holes at .012" diameter
Yes, DDPs are a marine 155* nozzle. Our truck application is 145*.
PM me and I will send you to a guy who builds the sweetest injectors around.

I had actually considered the home spun kit that "Gunracer1" had posted here some time back. Most folks posted good results with this and I believe it fuels past 3K as well.

Buy the kit for $125.00 it works ALOT better

Would you suggest doing this one bolt at a time or loosen all the bolts and do them all in pattern?
Can I upgrade the studs in the process....or should I?

Yes, you can do studs. Yes do one at a time. I dont know what you want to spend. I personally would retorque your head bolts and if the headgasket goes put studs and orings on.

Yea I need to find a good mechanic in the DFW area (preferably southern DFW) that can do this for me.

There are ALOT of diesel shops in Texas. Check out CompetitionDiesel.com
Dont know how close you are to here, but I would at least call him and see if he recommends someone. If you can go to this shop, he IS one of the diesel gurus.
http://www.texasdieselpower.com/about.htm

Have you dyno-ed yours? What HP/torque are you pushing.

No, hopefully nest month. Chris said he has another customer that dynoed with the same setup I have and did a hair over 550.

Probably a great idea. What exactly are the o-rings for?

orings are a Stainless Steel wire cut into your head. It compresses the stock fire ring and will hold anything you throw at it.

Sorry for all the questions just trying to get the big picture for each suggestion and requirement.
No problem, this is what we are here for.
If you have anymore questions, PM me and I'll give you my phone# and we can talk.

Quick Reply: Turbo injector and exhaust combo