Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Turbo change illegal in California?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo change illegal in California?

A local mechanic who owns a business billed as a diesel performance shop told me that it is illegal in California to upgrade my turbo to anything besides a stock turbo.
Tell me it isn't so ???
I thought there were many Californians who have changed their turbos...
Old 07-26-2016, 09:03 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
He's right but maybe there's a smog guy that can't tell the difference unless it trips a code.
OBD readings now.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:47 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Yup, unfortunately he's correct. You cant alter anything mechanical on the engine or add anything electronic to alter engine performance. So an aftermarket turbo is out. Well.....as Danderson mentioned, if you do get one then just make sure it looks "stock". No tech will pay attention unless there's a reason which draws his attention to it. The days of underhood bling in CA are going away as sleepers are coming back in style.

But in saying all that, whatever turbo you're interested in, see if the company offers an "executive order" (EO) sticker for their product. If they do then then its CA smog compliant and all you need is the sticker.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:38 AM

I already have to see a smog referee every 2 years because I don't have a cat. Gonna have to think on this one...guess I just need to keep my tuning in check.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:35 AM

How does that work with the cat not there? Does the ref just look at it and say oh well its fine or is there some process which allows them to overrule the smog law?
Old 07-27-2016, 02:37 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by barngal6
A local mechanic who owns a business billed as a diesel performance shop told me that it is illegal in California to upgrade my turbo to anything besides a stock turbo.
Tell me it isn't so ???
I thought there were many Californians who have changed their turbos...
my brother in law in shingle springs registers his in montana so he can do any thing he wants to!
Old 07-30-2016, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
How does that work with the cat not there? Does the ref just look at it and say oh well its fine or is there some process which allows them to overrule the smog law?
1. Must take it to a regular smog station where they will FAIL it for no cat, and no OEM equivalent available

2. Make an appt with a smog referee . Must, bring the failed smog report. They inspect and if everything else is normal they issue an exemption and collect the fee for the tags. I can't remember if last time they sent the registration paperwork or if I had to take it in by hand.

The thing with the referee, one time I had the handle broken off my oil dipstick. I was waiting for a replacement. They wouldn't smog the truck and I had to bring it back with dipstick repaired. That was a real pia.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:34 PM

Well you know those plastic handles are huge variables in emissions output..... Talk about a frigging power trip.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:49 PM

The thing with the smog referee is that it is a "teaching opportunity". They have the community college auto workshop students there to do the inspections. Which is fine.
I think they teach them that if they can't check the oil, they shouldn't be starting the truck to do the test.
The guy in charge, yea, he had a power trip all right. I rescheduled at the station across town. They were decent .
When you leave there with your paperwork in your hands its all whistling and skipping, so glad to be done with it..for 2 friggin years…I'm due again next month.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:56 PM

For all that effort every couple years, have you ever thought about a hollowed out CAT just for the visual appeal so you can pass?
Old 08-02-2016, 07:22 AM

Yea, thought about it…not sure how it would sound and I like my resonator, we can talk in the cab compared to when it was just the cat missing…

Only concern this year: ta-dum: drum roll: boost elbow.
Mine is right off the AFC housing, so its noticeable. Maybe I shoulda painted it black…