Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smarty, Smarty, SMARTY!!

Old 05-22-2006, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty, Smarty, SMARTY!!

OK well I'm finally going to bite the bullet (just need yall to push me over the edge )... I sick of hearing about this product and not having one to play with on my own!! I'm running the Van Aaken V5 now, yes I know not the overwhelming favorite through throughout the group but it has served its purpose pretty well for me... Will I notice a big enough difference with the Smarty over the Van Aaken to justify the cost? Should I leave the Van Aaken on and not use the timing settings on the Smarty. Convince me!! I have credit card in hand!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 02:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sell the Van Aaken to defray the cost of Smarty.

As for whether it's worth it or not, only you can decide.

You'll want the Smarty later, by any means-- so it's worth it from that perspective.

jh
Old 05-22-2006, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy one......sell the other!!

RJ
Old 05-22-2006, 06:43 PM

any use keeping the VA installed? or just sell?
Old 05-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
You could always wait and try it with the Va, then sell it if you decide you prefer it alone I do know one thing, I have not seen a single complaint about the Smarty, it seems everyone who runs one, likes it
Old 05-22-2006, 08:18 PM

Has anyone ever run the smarty with the VA? Is it even possible? I know the VA is a timing and fueling box and the smarty can be both or either or... Can the smarty be run on fueling only and leave the VA running? Just an idea, no real experience with boxes, combinations etc... Just have the smarty coming and getting power itch..
Old 05-22-2006, 08:38 PM
Chapter President

You should have come out this weeked to see rjohnson's Smarty with TST and twins. He has a really great setup for hp and driveability.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:58 PM

you can use the smarty on even numbers with the van akken,dont sell the box till you try the stack,you may like it best,just a warning though some guys with stock trucks have not been to impressed with the smarty,i let a buddy try it with his stocker and he wasnt impressed at all,i think they work best with injectors or a wire tapping box,i know with my comp and injecotrs the diference is nite and day,
Old 05-22-2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by crobtex
You should have come out this weeked to see rjohnson's Smarty with TST and twins. He has a really great setup for hp and driveability.

My dad ended up having surgery on Friday and screwed my weekend plans all up I would have loved to come out, sounds like it was a great event!!
Old 05-22-2006, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by duallydave
you can use the smarty on even numbers with the van akken,dont sell the box till you try the stack,you may like it best,just a warning though some guys with stock trucks have not been to impressed with the smarty,i let a buddy try it with his stocker and he wasnt impressed at all,i think they work best with injectors or a wire tapping box,i know with my comp and injecotrs the diference is nite and day,

I think I may try the stack and see what happens. ... I do have Jammer IIIs installed already so hopefully I will see some life pumped into the truck!!
Old 05-22-2006, 09:34 PM
Banned

let's put it this way. I have the comp and 1.5's and I ran Tyler's(Big Blue's) smarty on my truck both ways. I ran it on #7 w/the comp turned off and it was great. AND THEN I ran it on #6 w/the comp turned on and it was EVEN BETTER. The smarty fills in on the bottom end and then the comp fills in on the top end w/the injectors working the whole way through and it is ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT. However, the clutch on my truck hates it. But the all through power is unbelieveable. I think short of twins the smarty is the best thing you can do in regards to quick spool and solid power. Great $650 to spend if you got it.....
Old 05-22-2006, 10:07 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by bnold
My dad ended up having surgery on Friday and screwed my weekend plans all up I would have loved to come out, sounds like it was a great event!!
I hope your dad is OK. Watch for the next event.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:14 PM

Oh hes fine now was nothing major... Just needy I think I'm going to stack them for now and see what it is like... maybe run some tests with different settings to see what I like best.... Financially the best option would be to turn around and sell the VA but if I can squeeze mo power with it than I'll let it be
Old 05-22-2006, 10:14 PM

My only complaint with the Smarty is it's hard not to make smoke, the power is there but it comes with smoke off idle. Gets kinda old just trying to drive around town. I went to SW# 6 and it helped but still there.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
neil, off idle smoke is as associated with a vp44 failing. do you have a white haze?

The dd3's are also considered old technology too.

I hope this helps

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smarty, Smarty, SMARTY!!