Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Rock Solid Ram Truck Steering Fix

Old 12-09-2006, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Rock Solid Ram Truck Steering Fix

I just installed the Rock Solid Ram Truck Steering Fix in my 01.5. With DSS only I still drifted. The Rock Solid steering fix made a huge difference. It now drives as good as my 03. No more drifting. Installation is easy.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where did you get it, and how much? Thanks
Old 12-09-2006, 02:55 PM

Here is where I got it.

http://www.permashield.net/steeringfix/
Old 12-09-2006, 03:15 PM

Is there a site that tells what it is and how it works.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:32 PM

I think the site explains it. It replaces the bushing on the steering column where it comes through the firewall. The new bushing is machined from hard nylon and replaces the factory setup. Once you disconnect the steering shaft all you have to do is cut the washer that is holding the spring with a dremel. Once that is cut the spring comes off. Then you pull out the old bushing setup. Then you clean up the steering shaft. Put a little grase on the inside of the new bushing where it will slide on the shaft. The new bushing comes with a short piece of pvc to slide over the shaft so you can tap the new busing into place. Mine fit perfect. If it is too tight on the steering shaft the gear selector can turn when you turn the steering wheel. After you install the bushing there is a locking washer that you tap on behind it. If you have more questions PM me with your number. I'd be happy to help.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Zach
Mine fit perfect. If it is too tight on the steering shaft the gear selector can turn when you turn the steering wheel.

I did mine while it was on the truck. One thing to be careful with is not to rotate the wheel with the shaft disconnected. You might break the clockspring...don't ask how I know. It fit and worked perfect until the temps started to fall below 50 deg. It would become very hard to turn and pull the truck out of gear. I pulled it back out and sanded the inner diameter some and now it has to get around 20 deg before it starts to act up. I think I will leave it alone since we don't see too many of those temps around here. Overall I'm glad I did the upgrade.

Mine didn't come with a locking washer, I just used zip ties. Can you get just the washers?
Old 12-10-2006, 02:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Seems like a good deal.
For years folks have been upgrading to expensive aftermarket steering shafts that basically do the same thing.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:23 PM

I know I'm resurrecting a VERY old thread, but it seems worth noting. Seems to me that we can't have enough info on these trucks.

Anyway...

Well, I just had mine installed. The install went pretty well and was done with the column in the truck. I used the opportunity to install a new steering shaft while we were doing the Rock Solid fix.

The only down side is that I lost my instructions, so I had to ask for a new set. I asked twice with no results. So we dove into it anyway.

The difference is exactly what the manufacturer indicated. The "clunking" disappeared and the truck was certainly more responsive in terms of steering.

I know some may be thinking that the new steering shaft might make that better, but the sideways play that was present in the shaft is GONE. Replacing the shaft alone won't cure that.

The bushing slid into place with relative ease. No sanding of the I.D. of the bushing was needed. Below is a photo showing what came out of the old column.

From left to right is...the retainer, three pieces of the spring where it was cut, the remainder of the spring, and the bearing cup. All from a truck with an auto.

Name:  Steering.jpg
Views: 6184
Size:  67.3 KB
Old 05-20-2012, 10:42 PM

Too many of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

for this product.

Don't have great expectations, and you won't be disappointed. This product does NOT (NOT!!!) solve the problems that the steering shaft upgrade fixes, or the problem that the steering brace fixes.

What it WILL fix is the clunk in the steering column from a worn out stock bushing. I believe the aftermarket part is not made of nylon, but delrin otherwise known as acetal.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:47 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Here is the real rock solid link...This is the fellow who designed it...I did mine about 4 years ago..Got rid of the clunk and alot of the steering kick back.

http://www.rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/
Old 05-21-2012, 08:54 PM

Thank you great info. will be ordering this next payday.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:03 PM

did this today and there is still just as much up and down movement it looks to me like all it does on the automatic column is remove play between the inner shaft and the shifter, did i not install it right seems straight forward, i called the phone # and left a message, by the picks in the instructions it looks like this fix would only be effective on the stick model where there is nothing between the inner and outer column
Old 01-10-2013, 06:21 PM

this is what mine still does ( not my truck) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpGCA...ature=youtu.be

suggestions are welcome
Old 01-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Hey Tom...Sorry for the delay...Seen your video...I never seen a dodge column do that...The bushing will fix the output shaft issue to the steering box...But your column assembly is very loose...While inside the truck, can you move the steering wheel that same amount??

I wonder if the bolts are loose on the column itself...
Old 01-11-2013, 08:25 PM

that is not my truck but shows the problem i have, the column is mounted solid the shifter seems fine, I realy don''t want to buy a junk one to take apart just to see what the problem is if someone else has addressed this before or has pics of the column apart

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rock Solid Ram Truck Steering Fix