Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

question about timing boxes . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about timing boxes . . .

when a box says it adds timing - is this timing standard across the board?
(ie. is smarty's timing the same as quadzilla's timing the same as edge's timing etc.)

the reason i am asking is because i would like to stack a smarty with my quad xzt+. if the timing added from each box is identical then great, but if smarty's timing is better then i may consider getting rid of the xzt+ and just running a smarty with a fuel & timing software instead of the stack.

note - i am not planning on stacking and running a smarty timing/fuel software. i know if a box already has timing that smarty should only be used on with fuel only softwares.

so what can ya' tell me about this?
Old 10-07-2009, 03:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
IIRC think the quad XZT+ adds 1.5-2* of timing. I'm sure quad would have the specs if you called.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by high bid
IIRC think the quad XZT+ adds 1.5-2* of timing. I'm sure quad would have the specs if you called.

thanx.

anyone know the amount of the other popular timing boxes?
Old 10-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Banned

smarty has for a long time been considdered the best when it comes to timing, do what I and many others did.... send the quad box back in to quad and have him flash it to pressure only......... all it costs is shipping there and back. call them up, let them know what you want. they will give you a service number to include so they know what ya want. turnaround time is about ten days. but whatever you decide, do not run timing advance from both of them !
Old 10-08-2009, 08:42 PM
The Guru

I would add max timing on both boxes and work backwards from there. The truck will let you now. I find that I can't use the smarty timing with my comp box timing. The edge timing is better than the smarty.

Doj Dewd, you running the quadzilla box? I always wanted to see if its as good as the claims.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:43 AM

yes, i am running the quadzilla box.
not the adrenaline though.
i am running the xzt+. it is very comparable to the edge ez.

i am planning on going to the red deer dyno . . .
Old 10-09-2009, 10:32 AM
The Guru

Jason, how hazey is the RV275? You have a pyro on the truck right? I sometimes use a comp box wire unplugged on 1X1, and smarty catcher with timing. Then I use my methanol to give me that extra kick for passing. I got pretty decent fuel mileage that way. Not big power, but not bad. I prefer the edge comp box wire tap and easy catch no timing, and spray on the methanol (blue windshielf fluid) but I can go thru a 4L jug pretty fast.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:16 PM

mike -
the RV275's are not hazey at all, even with xzt+ on timing & fuel mode. with it on timing only, and i step on it from idle it will puff a bit of smoke. if set on timing & fuel when i step on it from idle it will smoke pretty good for a couple seconds, but as soon as that turbo spools all the smoke is gone. i usually (now) just drive arund in timing only and flip the switch to timing & fuel as needed.

i'd like to try a smarty one day with my setup. i think the smarty will give a littlemore furl down low as compared to the xzt+

is my magnet pick-up tool still at your place? (orange handle, with a light on the end?)
Old 10-09-2009, 02:09 PM
The Guru

A orange magnet thingy, possibly, possibly. I guess you want it backNo probs.