Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Overkill Parts Header, 4" and muffler

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:32 PM
I think I can... I think...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overkill Parts Header, 4" and muffler

Ok Folks I'm thinkin about dropping the cash for the header, a 4" exhaust with probably a Donaldson muffler.
I'm still running my stock turbo but want improved exhaust flow, lower EGTs and quicker spool without a massive increase in noise be it at the tip or in cab drone. I've read many posts and am seeing a lot about the Donaldson M090535 or maybe the M100695.
I know I'll need to adapt the M090535 down to 4" for the inlet side but if it has better flow I'm good with that.
Also I've read a lot about some 4" systems not being 4" at the turbo. What about having a muffler shop just build me a mandrel bent system from the flange to the tailpipe???
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!
Larry, feel free to jump in on this one.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:37 AM

DO NOT waste your money on a header! It won't give you any improvement at your power level. You are right about the exhaust not being 4" at the turbo, unless you are running an aftermarket turbo which uses an HX40 downpipe. I am currently running a Silverline 4" system and am very happy with it. It's very quiet in the cab and has a very nice tone at the pipe. Hope that helps a little!
Old 09-09-2009, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by dodge24
DO NOT waste your money on a header! It won't give you any improvement at your power level. You are right about the exhaust not being 4" at the turbo, unless you are running an aftermarket turbo which uses an HX40 downpipe. I am currently running a Silverline 4" system and am very happy with it. It's very quiet in the cab and has a very nice tone at the pipe. Hope that helps a little!
Hmmmm I'm not even sure what turbo my 96 has?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by capt.Ron
Hmmmm I'm not even sure what turbo my 96 has?
Your turbo is anHX35, basically its got a 12cm wastegated turbine housing, with i think a 2 3/4inch exhaust or 3inch.... and a 56cm compressor housing (cold side of turbo). I have a 4inch donaldson muffler that i just pulled off my truck, it was brand new, but i like loud trucks so i removed it, but not before i ran around with it for a week..... dang it was quiet!!.... sounded really clean too. Excellent turbo whistle

jason
Old 09-09-2009, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by 65fury
Your turbo is anHX35, basically its got a 12cm wastegated turbine housing, with i think a 2 3/4inch exhaust or 3inch.... and a 56cm compressor housing (cold side of turbo). I have a 4inch donaldson muffler that i just pulled off my truck, it was brand new, but i like loud trucks so i removed it, but not before i ran around with it for a week..... dang it was quiet!!.... sounded really clean too. Excellent turbo whistle

jason
Ok So what would be a good step up in a turbo?
Wanna keep or increase spool, lower EGTs, and be able to run some bigger injectors. Nothing insane just something to give me more pull and zip without a lot of noise!! Turbo whistle is fine!!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by capt.Ron
Ok So what would be a good step up in a turbo?
Wanna keep or increase spool, lower EGTs, and be able to run some bigger injectors. Nothing insane just something to give me more pull and zip without a lot of noise!! Turbo whistle is fine!!
The most popular step up is the HX40, which is a 60mm compressor housing and your choice of a 12 or 14cm turbine housing with a 4inch outlet. But it really depends on the hp you want out of your truck. Other wise i would run a 62/71/13ss turbo and some 90hp injectors. Your spool up will be a tiny bit slower than the stock turbo you have now and the hx40, but it will breathe very well and cool your egts nicely for towing.

Jason