Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

gauge help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gauge help please

Greetings All,
I’ve just purchased a 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 and am new to diesels. I’ve always wanted one, but my 318 4x4 just would not die. It’s still going strong, but the body is like Swiss cheese. So I talked the Boss into the 2001.
Now, I've been doing some research on gauge packages on the net and it’s pretty standard to have an exhaust temp, transmission temp and boost gauge along with the pillar mount to complete the purchase. My truck is a stock 2500 right now, but I’m looking at a Bully Dog Rapid Flow Induction air intake system and a Torque Dog on my desk here. I plugged a brick into my truck and got a P0216 code. (Injection Timing Control Circuit Malfunction) The lift pump was replaced before I bought the truck and it looks like a stock replacement. With the P0216 code, it's making me think that I need a fuel pressure gauge. Reading previous posts, I getting that the fuel pressure gauge is a must have, so which gauge do I replace in the kit, transmission temp? Also, what scale should I order for these gauges?
Help Tim spend some more money!
Thanks, Tim
Old 10-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Banned

I would look into a Edge Juice w/attitude or Quad Adrenaline w/pulse. Both have a display that monitors all of what you listed and can cut power and give audible alarms for too high/low values so you dont have to stare @ the gauges. They also have a power benefit of at least timing and can tap the pump wire for up to 140hp on the juice and 180hp w/ADR.
The 216 code by itself isnt a death sentence and may never come back. but YES a fuel pressure gauge is a MINIMUM for the VP trucks.
By the way, Welcome to diesels!
Old 10-09-2009, 12:33 PM

P0216 means its far too late for a fuel pressure guage. You need an injection pump.

If you are going to tow, you need still need the tranny temp guage. So youre looking at Pryo, boost, tranny temp and fuel pressure.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by TURBOLVR
I would look into a Edge Juice w/attitude or Quad Adrenaline w/pulse. Both have a display that monitors all of what you listed and can cut power and give audible alarms for too high/low values so you dont have to stare @ the gauges. They also have a power benefit of at least timing and can tap the pump wire for up to 140hp on the juice and 180hp w/ADR.
The 216 code by itself isnt a death sentence and may never come back. but YES a fuel pressure gauge is a MINIMUM for the VP trucks.
By the way, Welcome to diesels!
Thanks for the info. I've been looking at the digital readout on these type of gauges. I'm an old fashioned kind of guy and like the analog gauge look. The Edge and Adrenaline both look like they take up a lot of real estate.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
P0216 means its far too late for a fuel pressure guage. You need an injection pump.

If you are going to tow, you need still need the tranny temp guage. So youre looking at Pryo, boost, tranny temp and fuel pressure.
How do I know if the injection pump is pooched? My truck runs very strong, and am getting a little over 600 miles to the tank. Right now I think the pump is doing it's job.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ToolMan_1958
Thanks for the info. I've been looking at the digital readout on these type of gauges. I'm an old fashioned kind of guy and like the analog gauge look. The Edge and Adrenaline both look like they take up a lot of real estate.
They are about the size of a heater vent. Not too big. With a good combo you really dont need to watch your gauges except when tuning so I glance at mine just to check now and then but otherwise, I watch the road.
Other nice feature of the digitals is a "chime" for high/low readings, so you dont have to stare at them to know when there is a problem. Also have protections built in to keep EGTs or max boost or min fuel psi, whatever you want. No gauge does that.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by ToolMan_1958
How do I know if the injection pump is pooched? My truck runs very strong, and am getting a little over 600 miles to the tank. Right now I think the pump is doing it's job.
Put a OBDII scanner on the truck - note code, clear them and see if they come back. If the pump is dead youll soon have hard starts when warm, dead pedal, white smoke or be walking to work.