Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

fuel/ oil additives

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel/ oil additives

anyone here run those fuel or oil additives that are sold at the local auto parts store? the ones that claim more hp and better mileage, and come in a fancy bottle that must add at least 100 hp? just wondering if there is any point in spending money on them or if any of it is legit....
Old 09-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I run fuel additives only. For me its about fuel quality and I want to ensure I take care of water in my climate. I can go from 20°C to -10°C in 24 hrs most days and having water in the fuel can be deadly if its -40°C on the back roads. A little peace of mind for me and a little lubrication doesn't hurt.

Oil additives are a waste of money. All the additives you need are in the oil you buy if you get the good stuff. The engine will outlast the truck if you just keep the oil drains consistent, use good filters and don't run it dry!.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The only additive I use is antigel in the winter.
Great success for over half a million miles on the Dodges, thousands of hours on the semis and farm equipment for over 50 years.
Just think of how much money I would have wasted on snake oil in 50 years.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Lucas Oil Stabilizer. I am amazed that after several thousand miles, if you check the oil, the oil on the stick is still very slick. I've been using it for a while now and figure with performance like that it must be helping.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Chapter President

I'm not gonna battle over additives. But after looking over oil analysis results on industrial engines for years and training on oils and additives you have to be careful about what you add to the oil. The oil you buy already has additives in it for detergents and viscosity modifiers to keep the oil within its specifications for lubrication, flow and contaminant retention. By adding another batch of additives you can either add to the existing package or completely battle and destroy it.

If you buy good oil from reputable vendors, the additive packages they have put together would be the money to spend on. Cheap oil has less of the expensive stuff in it (additives) and will not provide adequate protection when it counts.

Think about it.. If the oil you had before was always very dirty and now after adding brand X additive it stays "clean" longer, is that really better? Where did all that dirt go from before?
Old 09-13-2011, 06:36 PM

hmm sounds like the oil should b left up to the manufacturing ppl. ok i understand fuel stabilizer (i live in northern canada so i know about cold weather ) but what about injector/valve cleaning type of additives?
Old 09-13-2011, 07:28 PM

I live in Northern Canada, and I use Power service white in summer, and use to use power service silver for winter, now spend the winter in Arizona so use the white all year around every tank. never a problem.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:22 AM

I run 2% biodiesel in the summer and a lubricity improver/antigel in the winter.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I run only a biocide in the summer months. 162,800 troublefree miles to date.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Power service in winter
Old 09-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by DC199512V87
hmm sounds like the oil should b left up to the manufacturing ppl. ok i understand fuel stabilizer (i live in northern canada so i know about cold weather ) but what about injector/valve cleaning type of additives?
A I said, I run fuel additives all year round in both my trucks. I simply don't trust fuel venders enough around here, and with a 1/2 tank of fuel and temperatures from a hot tank of fuel (Driving a few hours and the fuel heats from the engine returning to tank) then cold nights, you can get condensation in the tank and water. Don't need the headache.

I use this stuff. http://www.lubecorp.com/products/pre...esel_plus.html
Old 11-08-2011, 01:46 AM

I run Lubrication Engineers 2410 fuel additive year round, really smooths out the rattle -

http://www.le-inc.com/products/docum...2420_flyer.pdf

http://www.le-inc.com/products.jsp?productID=176
Old 11-09-2011, 02:14 PM

Fuel additives are a good idea on Gen 2's, especially with the new low sulpher fuel. Many people run 2 stoke oil, TCW3, can be bought for 12/gal at Wally World, maybe the marine or auto dept. 1 oz per gallon
Power Service in below freezing is highly recommended (white), or something similar. Silver in the rest of the year is not a bad idea, my $.02.
Oil additives are a waste of money. Valvoline 15W-40 is reommended by Cummins, highest TBN numbers for a CJ oil. Rotella, Delo and others by the bigs are all good for the mileage recommendations in your book. If you can CI+4, any of it is much better than any CJ for GEN 1 & 2. Sythetic oil, other than serioud cold climates, is a waste of money. Blends may be OK, but conventional oils have so many additives, that Cummins does not recommend synthetic.
Anything promising a horsepower increase is mostly a joke.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:56 PM
vrj

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've been running fuel & oil additives for years:

Fuel - Lucas and Power Service mainly for the Cetane improvement for injector pump lubrication and cleaning of injectors ... Power Service is excellent for cold weather otherwise the fuel can gel.

Oil - Lucas Oil Stabilzer works great for me. It offers less wear on cold weather starts as well as other benefits.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ya, seems to me like if you run the cheapest oil you can find - maybe a good idea to add some additives. But if you run a quality oil (I'm an Amsoil guy myself) then there's no point to the additives.

As far as fuel - the statement was made: with today's low sulfur fuel, it's a good idea to ad SOMETHING for lubrication. I like Power Services. Works well for me.

And that's my 2 cents

Quick Reply: fuel/ oil additives