Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

fuel/ oil additives

Old 11-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by DC199512V87
anyone here run those fuel or oil additives that are sold at the local auto parts store? the ones that claim more hp and better mileage, and come in a fancy bottle that must add at least 100 hp? just wondering if there is any point in spending money on them or if any of it is legit....
----------------------------
I run "Stanadyne Performance Formula" in both my older 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve and my newer 2006. I have run this fuel additive since these trucks were new. I agree with Lil Dog that right now, the diesel fuel in the U.S. is just not that good! We see alot of water in the fuel out here in eastern N.C. and about a year ago, I got ALOT of it in my 1996! I knew immedately as my "water in fuel" light came on and the truck started running rough. I pulled over and drained off all I could and had to do that a few more times on the way home. Before I got underway again, the first time, I poured ALOT of my Stanadyne Additive into the tank to help try and counter the effects of that water. I also added some "Stanadyne Lubricity Formula" which I add when I mix cetane with my fuel at the dragstrip. I got home, dropped the tank and poured and cleaned all that contaminated fuel out of the tank.
We then flushed out all of my fuel lines etc. and everything turned out all right. However,.....I still believe that had I not had that additive to put in I may have been in trouble. I KNOW if all that water had gotten into my 2006, I would have been DEAD on the side of the road!

So, I am a Member that believes in the fuel additives and what they can do for you.

--------
John_P
Old 11-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I add Wally-World TW-3 2-stroke oil (one oz per gallon of fillup)
And 6oz of Stanadyne Performance Formula maybe once a month.

It makes a big difference in the sound of the diesel 'clatter'.
At highway speeds, it almost sounds like a gasser.
I'm guessing the injection pump appreciates the added lubrication.

INAL/YMMV
Old 11-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to run the Lucas oil Stabilizer, but have since switched over to Lucas Magnum oil that is a long drain designed for Diesel trucks.

In the fuel I run the Lucas fuel additive. I noticed a significant increase in MPG and also notice the truck seems to just run better with it compared to when I dont add it to the fuel.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
A I said, I run fuel additives all year round in both my trucks. I simply don't trust fuel venders enough around here, and with a 1/2 tank of fuel and temperatures from a hot tank of fuel (Driving a few hours and the fuel heats from the engine returning to tank) then cold nights, you can get condensation in the tank and water. Don't need the headache.

I use this stuff. Premium Diesel Plus - Diesel Additive - LubeCorp
I'm looking for something I can add to my tanks on my FL70 which sits sometime for a few months here in Oklahoma. And also for diesel storage for a farm tractor. For the tractor I only use about 100 gallons a year, so I buy twice a year 50 gallons each time because I worry about it sitting in the barn to long before I use it all up. I also have a 1998 12 valve which gets very good mpg, sometimes it may have the same diesel in the tank for a few months at a time. I'm looking for something that will also help keep that algae away if I leave my diesel in the freightliner tanks for a few months, and in my storage tank in the barn. Is this the product you would recommend me use?

LubeCorp DP6 - Premium Diesel Plus - Diesel Conditioner

Old 10-18-2015, 10:41 PM

Lots of good info. One thing I'd add is that with ULSD came new emissions systems that didn't play nice with ZDDP which is a ***magical*** but very real wear inhibitor used in engine oil. So engine oil formulated for diesels cut it back.

Since the primary other reason for special diesel engine oil was addition of coal ash to keep the PH of the oil under control from sulphur dioxide and to a lesser extent sulphuric acid (SO2+H20= sulphuric acid), I stopped using the diesel rated oil in my equipment. IE coal ash not needed, but higher level of ZDDP wanted.

Having said all that, I'd consider adding Stp for the anti wear properties of the ZDDP to counter the reduced quantities since these engines do not use the DPF systems.