Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Front Locker or Limited Slip

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Locker or Limited Slip

I'm trying to find a source for either a front locker or limited slip for my Dana 60 front differential. I have limited slip in the rear diff with a 3.55 ratio. At the drag strip I want to launch harder without breaking loose and Don M. said a locker or limited slip would do the trick. Any suggestions?

Meacham Evins
Old 02-19-2005, 12:21 PM

Detroit locker made a unit called a tru track limited slip for a d60. That might be the ticket. Try a google search.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:05 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Do you use this truck for anything else besides drag racing? If so that could determine what carrier you would want to get.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ARB air locker is what I'd get. You'll have a normal diff and full spool at the push of a button
greg
Old 02-20-2005, 01:40 AM

if you go with aything other then a limited slip, ox locker, or arb your truck will be useless for snow rain sidehills etc. when you run a front locker the rig handles a BUNCH different. after I put mine in my cj7 it never saw another snowy road again. you will hear a million opinions but consider this:
you are just about to climb over a small log crossing the road at 45* the road is off camber and slick/muddy, truck touches the log and you goose it...all four tires spin. see the problem? when you had an open front you had 1 tire that was holding you from sliding.

problem #2
you are looking to launch harder at the track...harder then what???? if you are needing a detroit to get out of the hole that hard you are going to find your tie rod shaped like a big happy face....or sad face...been there it sux.

now it sounds like I am baggin' on lockers...no way! if your rig will never see snow and you love mud then they were made for you, but the first time you pull the lever in the snow (assuming it is not still bound up from the track) you will be sorry!!! steering yep it don't work anymore.

go borrow somones atv with a locker and see how fun it is that will save you the headache.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:42 AM

Who sells the ARB air locker? Summit or Jegs? I m kinda in the same boat Meachem's in only in the pullin aspect.
carty
Old 02-20-2005, 01:21 PM

To me it all comes down to money. There is no dout the arb is the way to go, you can pick open or full spool, esspically on the front. But here is something else to consider, if you are racing hard or sled pulling your factory limited slip won't last long and you well need to be replacing it. Trust me I burn't the one out of my d70 so I put in a d80 out of a tonner, now it is going south on me, (getting clutch material in oil). So you should ask yourself what are you going to want in the rear. If you use your truck for a daily driver you might strongly consider the arb to run an open dif on the highway. If you just race with it though some detroits in. I always consider the future options because I don't like mixing things. I would put an ox locker in the front and and detroit in the rear. Don't get me wrong I like my detroit in my jeep, but not on the highway.

Just my .02 worth
Heath
Old 02-20-2005, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with many of these fellas,

ARB would be the most beneficial, if i could afford both, id put them both in my truck... I dont see many offroad situations that really require both wheels locked, but a slippery boat ramp of incase i ever get the urge to seriously go off road, or what if the situation would some up where one tire (with my LSD's) wouldnt spin? the locker would be my way out for sure.. front and rear incase im pullin somethin really heavy and i need locked traction.. (not very likely) but then again its just wishful thinkin on my part..

TxDiesel007
Old 02-20-2005, 08:11 PM
DRM

From the uses you mention, I would suggest a good clutch style limited slip unit up front, re-built with tighter cluch packs than stock.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:07 PM

They make these little deals that go in place of your spider gears and they act as a locker when both wheels are goin the same speed but once they change speed they unlock automaticly and you hear a clicking.. I was thinking about running a set in my truck but once i blew my rear end for the 3 time i just bought a brand new locker for cheap.....Hang on let me try and find the name.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:55 PM

A limited slip or "posi" or any other clutch type devise will be much easier to drive then ANY locker type be it detriot, easy locker, soft locker etc. when you drive one of these on the street you get some scary stuff occasionally....example: you rev her till the valves float, side step and steer, goin' good now ya grab a gear, she's pullin good now as you cross the intersection with the gravel built up in the turn lane....your right tires run through the gravel....now what happens???? OH the truck just took a hard right cause the left tires still were pullin 100% and so you freak out and lift but don't get on the brakes cause you are a good driver when....BANG!!! the locker unlocks!!! noone can ever guess which way it will jump but trust me it WILL!

An ARB seems so much more expensive but the first time the above happens you might reconsider.

also tire diameter becomes very critical with lockers on both ends gears don't give they bust.
launch in 4wd with it open and play the throttle you ain't gonna trade steering for traction more then once!
Old 02-21-2005, 12:20 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going to be drag racing this rig most of the time. I do like messing around on the road. Heck I drove it to Muncie last year. The ARB sounds like the ticket. I'm currently launching at 20lbs of boost and any more I get spin. My 60' time is 1.70 and I want to launch at 30-35lbs. and get my 60' down to 1.55 to 1.50. I'm currently running 7.71 in the 1/8th with Don M.'s Mach 6's. The 7's will be soon.

Thanks for the replies.

Meacham Evins
Old 02-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There is one problem with running a posi or or auto locker in the front of a Dodge.......if you have a D60 with the axle diconnect, the posi or auto locker will cause the ring and pinion and front drive shaft to spin in 2WD.......If you have a later model truck without the disconnect you have a slightly different problem.......The posi or auto locker will try to keep the front wheels mechanically locked together......this can be annoying with a posi and down-right dangerous with a locker.......the truck will not turn properly......Axle binding and tire scuffing will happen when attempting to turn sharp.

The only solution for the Dodge front end is a manually selectable locker that gives you the ability to have the front diff unlocked in 2WD and when it is not desired in 4WD.........ARB, Ox locker and others make units to fit a 30 spline D60.......stay away from the Detroit Electrac because it operates like a Tru Trac limited slip in the open position......

IMO, you can run an auto locker in the rear without too many handling quirks, although I would not suggest doing so if you tow heavy........Stay away from units that retain the factory open carrier and replace the spiders and side gears.......These should be considered light duty units that will not put up with drag racing a bombed CTD.....since they use the existing carrier they often only have one cross shaft (2 sides of support) to support the locker between the side sprags and this is where you find high wear and most of the failures........Unless you want a spool, there is no substitute for a good old fashioned Detroit!!
Old 02-21-2005, 03:24 PM

i would go arb air locker
Old 02-21-2005, 03:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTD Nut,

How does the Electrac work that won't work in the front of the Dodge? How is the quality of the OX unit?

Quick Reply: Front Locker or Limited Slip