Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

do i need to upgrade my tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do i need to upgrade my tranny?

im only wanting to put on a mild chip for my truck for milage and a little power. ive narrowed it down to three: hypertech, superchip, edge EZ. Do i need to upgrade my transmission to use these chips? if i do then what do i need to upgrade?

thanks, matt
Old 09-02-2009, 11:28 PM

what about the quadzilla xzt+. it's easily best bang for the buck (the high idle alone is worth the price DTR store sells it for!)

as for the tranny - i think if you drive smart, and take it easy you should be just fine. after doing lot's of research and asking lot's of questions just like you are now - what you see in my sig is what i thought would be the most power i could add before rapidly accelerating the tranny wear time . . .

but, after reading some other posts lately - i think i could have gotten away with any stick less than 100 hp (rv275s are 40 hp) - but then i would really definitely have to take it easy and know what times are ok and not ok to stomp onit with the stock tranny. but any bigger sticks than the rv's and i was looking at a significant dollar increase.

plenty of guys are running what i s in my sig (or comparable) and towing daily with stock transmissions. i don't think it will be a problem especially if all you want to add is a mild box like what you listed.

you got gauges yet?
Old 09-02-2009, 11:54 PM

im gonna get a danin pyro and boost gauges...i probally wont get the trans and fp because i dont do much towing and i have the air-dog so i should be ok
Old 09-02-2009, 11:56 PM

I would go with the Edge EZ or Quad xzt+. I ran the EZ for a little more then a year on the stock trans towin and DD on stage 3 always and never had an issue.
JMO
Ian
Old 09-02-2009, 11:57 PM

fuel pressure would still be a good one to have, its nice to know that there is fuel pressure going to the vp
Old 09-03-2009, 01:22 PM

i probally will get the edge ez because ive heard good things about it with the power and milage gains
Old 09-03-2009, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah your trans should be fine. if you do notice it slipping get a shift kit or rebuilt valve body. Guys have held 400hp on a valve body alone in these transmissions
TNutcher
Old 09-03-2009, 11:19 PM

fellas what would give me the most power? the superchip/hypertech with a boost fooler or a edge EZ?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:43 PM

I think they are all around the same power level. The ez is nice because you just plug it in under the hood and forget it. Where the superchips and I think hypertech are both programmers and you have to load them on to your ecm. Also the ez is a good chip to stack another box or programmer with down the road if you want more power later on.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:04 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Pick up a used Edge Comp--if you don't tap the pump wire it's the same as the EZ, but you have an upgrade path for later on.

Mike
Old 09-04-2009, 02:27 PM

i would advise staying away from danin gauges. i called dieselmanor in regards to ordering them and whoever the tech on the phone was said it sounds like the danin company was staring to go south - they may not be around much longer. they were also having issues getting gauges and parts from them . . . a lot of stuff was backordered and had been for quite some time. i had this conversation in the spring earlier this year.

also, your main concern was whether or not your trans would be ok - but you aren't going to run a TT gauge? that's about as good of an idea as not running a FP gauge just because you have an airdog installed. what if the filters plug quickly with poor quality fuel? if not running a FP gauge because you have peace of mind with the airdog - maybe a low FP indicator light would be better for you.

if you're willing to spend the money on superchip/hypertech, or edge ez - just get a full set gauges and get the xzt+ from the dtr store - instead of the other chip(s) with 2 gauges. i bet it work out to a very comparable price. i have not heard or been able to search out any bad issues with the xzt+, and guys running it who used to have an ez say they have not regretted switching one bit.
if your willi
Old 09-04-2009, 02:34 PM

I think the Quad XZT+, and some RV275 would be a good set up. With the Quad you get the high idle and can update tunes.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:59 PM

i didnt know that the danin gauges were headed south, now ill probally get the issapro or autometer. i was contemplating either the edge ez or the quad xzt for quite some time, and i just decided on the edge bc i got confused on all the tuning options. but now ill prolli get the xzt and a full set or gauges with the BD low fp light. would the rv275 injectors be a really good investment? where can you buy them?
Old 09-05-2009, 01:02 AM

Some transmissions hold up to moderate power when stock, others fail rather quickly. It just depends.

If the mileage is high, just build it for it's intended usage and power level. It'll save you tons of grief later.

Dave
Old 09-05-2009, 02:05 AM

you can buy rv275's here ask for harry - great guy to deal with.

the box and injectors have great together for me. i know others will the same. you can get a better combo for a little added power - but at the price they sell at, it's hard to buy anything else if you are just looking for some mild power.

Quick Reply: do i need to upgrade my tranny?