Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Difference between cat back and turbo back...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Difference between cat back and turbo back...

Hey, what's the difference between the turbo back and cat back??? I'm pretty sure I know, but what to double check. If I do an intake will I hear the turbo more out the exhaust? What about tuning the wastegate any? I do a lot of hauling, 27K# I'm looking at putting on Edge Juice w/Attitude, K&N FIPK, and bigger exhaust for now. But will add more later on this summer, probably injectors, fuel pump, bigger lines, propane...etc. For now I also want to get as much smoke out of it when I want also. I have an automatic 01 dodge 1 ton. Please let me know what you think and can suggest, I am trying to keep it as cheap as possible right now. Thanks

Jordan
Old 02-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Banned

cat back, leaves the converter on, everything rearward of it is replaced.
turbo back, everything is gone, downpipe, converter, tailpipe, everything
Old 02-14-2007, 02:49 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yours shouldn't have a cat....... yes if you put on an intake system, you'll hear th turbo. while you at it, pu the turbo silencer ring out ofn the front of the turbo. then it'll sound like a jet aircraft..........
Old 02-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Banned

The 24v only have a resonator. Most people call it a cat, and lots of systems for it are labeled as "cat back"
Old 02-14-2007, 03:07 PM

Hey, thanks guys. I didn't even think about the silencer ring. That's gonna be one of the first things to go! How easy is it to take out? Could I do it myself pretty easily? What about regulating the wastegate? I'd like to get as much smoke as possible without sacrificing power, should I have hi or low boost levels on the edge juice for max smoke? Wastegate open, or closed? Open....less boost right?
Old 02-14-2007, 03:22 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Originally Posted by Jordan5687
Hey, thanks guys. I didn't even think about the silencer ring. That's gonna be one of the first things to go! How easy is it to take out? Could I do it myself pretty easily? What about regulating the wastegate? I'd like to get as much smoke as possible without sacrificing power, should I have hi or low boost levels on the edge juice for max smoke? Wastegate open, or closed? Open....less boost right?
I re-installed mine yesterday and pulled it back out this morning. It's about a 5 to 10 minute job. And that should include the time to clean the tools, put them away and wash my hands.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:26 PM

Where is the ring located on the turbo? Towards the downpipe? Or somewhere else? Thanks.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:28 PM

How big is the ring? What do you think about the boost elbow on your truck?
Old 02-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Banned

Build for power, smoke will come. The sublevels on the Edge will allow you to control your smoke.

And please, control your smoke. Public image is a driving factor in the increased regulations on diesels. The public at large hates to see a smoky diesel. I generally don't care what other people think, But the endless smoke shows will do more to shut down our hobby than anything else.

steppingoffsoapbox
Old 02-14-2007, 03:30 PM

in the front. pull the inlet tube off and you'll see in on the inside, right before the turbine vanes/blades what ever........ it's just a angled peice of tin with a steel retaining ring in front. use a screwdriver and pry out the ring. then the tin will come out.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Banned

The ring is located in the intake side, pull the intake tube off, you will see a cone shape piece of metal in there held in by a snap ring, it's an easy removal.

I like the boost elbow, I have more boost, but can set it to keep from overspeeding the turbo.

On Edit:Ya beat me to it.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jordan5687
How big is the ring? What do you think about the boost elbow on your truck?
with out it, i only spool up to 24 - 25 psi. with it i can get to 35 to 38 psi. but to use it right, you'll need to add fuel........ my hx35 isn't very effecient with out the extra fuel with number above 30 lbs. heck, i don't mine is very effecient over 35 lbs, with my current set up........
Old 02-14-2007, 03:39 PM

Displacedtexan...

I'm not going to be abusive with my smoke, I'm way out in the country and I generally don't go to town much with this truck. I do have a question though, on the edge sublevels, which is more smoke.......low boost level on hi power level, hi boost level on low power level??? Thanks.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:41 PM

what will I need to take the intake off the turbo? It goes from manifold to turbo...correct?
Old 02-14-2007, 03:43 PM

no. no.... the inlet side. its after the aircleaner. all plastic and rubber tubing

Quick Reply: Difference between cat back and turbo back...