Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

conventional vs. didital gauges

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
conventional vs. didital gauges

has anyone any experience with the x-monitor, attitude, or other digital or electronic form of monitoring engine parameters? obviously if your power wire to the monitor goes, the whole thing goes out, whereas individual guages are well, individual. i kinda like the low profile of the x-monitor and its different. anyone care to comment? any bad experiences?

thanks,

jeremy
Old 10-14-2005, 03:29 PM

Hey j-dub,
Don't have any experience with the digital gauges. I went with analog because a quick glance at the needle position is all it takes to tell me if everything is cool (or hot, as the case may be). With digital gauges that give you just a single number readout, it takes a bit more of the "thinking thing" to determine if things are operating in their normal range or not.

Good luck

~Rob
Old 10-14-2005, 03:35 PM

oh yeah, im well aware of that advantage! thats what i would miss about the analogs is the ability to see how fast whatever is climbing/falling. im not sure how fast the numbers would change or if they could even keep up on the digi. however its different. it would give me a new challenge from the usual analogs ive always used in other vehicles.

jeremy
Old 10-14-2005, 03:37 PM

I've got both...X-monitor on the steering column, gauges in the pillar. I just wanted more gauges, and the X-monitor is cool, so...

The X-monitor reacts a bit quicker than analog, but it also has a wider range, so it might just seem to react quicker.

I'd say go with what you like the best, the electonic stuff is $$$, though!

Chris
Old 10-14-2005, 04:27 PM

I've had SPA's for about 3-4 years now, TDR did a test and they had the fastest and most accurate responseand the finest resolution (like 5* matters). I like the idiot light too, I can lay into it without having to keep an eye on the gauge. It blinks at me when I hit the set point. Peak recalls are kinda nice too. Haven't had any problems with them other than an LED burning out in my original pyro gauge head.

I think they're easier to read than analog gauges because I only have to look at the first digit to decide if I need to look further. After looking at any gauge for a while, it becomes intuitive.

They are expensive though.....
Old 10-14-2005, 06:06 PM

seems like i saw the x-monitor for a price not much more than a typical gauge package. cant remember where tho...

jeremy
Old 10-14-2005, 07:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Is $479 a good price?
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...?Ntt=x-monitor
Old 10-15-2005, 12:01 AM

I personally like my analog isspros. Like was said earlier. All you gotta do is memorize where the danger zone starts on your pyro(whatever you consider that to be), and its easy as pie to tell whether you are in trouble or not.

Eric
Old 10-15-2005, 03:21 AM

i am more used to analogs, and thats what id prefer, however, the compactness and simple look of a monitor is kinda what gets me. i guess the other thing to ask is all these dash pods advertised, do any of them mount directly in the 12 o-clock position? meaning right in front of me so im not looking towards the rigth like some ive seen?

jeremy
Old 10-15-2005, 03:59 PM

I have said it before and I'll say it again the reason I went with the X-monitor was it ability to record high and low depending on the variable values and clear then as much as I wish, which would mean you could run the 1/4 and simnply hit the switch and see your max egt and boost and low fp. I really like the idea also of setting a value for the alarm function which will flash or beep depending on the model to warn you of a high or low value, this way my eyes are on the road and not watching a stupid gauge. One other thing I noticed when I switched from two pods to the 3 value X-monitor was people weren't reving the engine at the light for me to race the gauges are a give away to what is under the hood, not many guys run gauges on stock trucks as a rule.

Jason
Old 10-15-2005, 04:50 PM

Im not trying to say there is anything wrong with digital gauges. Just like the analogs better , though i really do like bieng able to look at your high's, and low's such as greenworks mentioned. The racing thing has never been a problem for me though.

Eric
Old 10-15-2005, 07:08 PM
GSP

One thing about digital , I hate it when the light sections burn out and a 8 looks like a 3 or 6.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:50 PM

I have a cab full of gauges 8 seperate gauges plus the G-tech and GPS. I changed all my gauges over from analog to digital, over a 6 mo. period. I will never return to analog. I can read the digital at least twice as fast as analogs. I was having a problem finding the needle at times. With the digital it''s a direct readout.
Bruce
Old 10-15-2005, 09:56 PM
Registered

i like the analogs. mostly for the same reason everybody else does
Old 10-16-2005, 03:37 AM

I use analogs in everthing else, and this time I got the x-monitor for my truck. I like it alot, compace, real easy to read, and its mounted on top of my dash just below line of sight. I have a analog FP gauge, and it seems to take a little longer to register where the needle is.

Quick Reply: conventional vs. didital gauges