Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

ARP studs and Don M?

Old 09-06-2009, 11:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ARP studs and Don M?

Well after many trouble free miles Of extreme heavy towing I see something I don't like .I was cleaning the Engine in my 01 HO and noticed a sign that coolant is seeping out at the head right under the Tstat ...I used a mirror and can see its just staring my coolant was down in the over flow about a quart. and It seems to do it under load .also my coolant is changing color too.

so ARPs are my next move,and I am not wanting to do this again I run 38 psi boost max (never gos over)

So hears my ?s
1 who has the best price on arp
2 I have heard something about Don M having studs that fit with out mods?
3 is there something I need to mod (valve cover ETC.) using ARP studs

I am headed to Minnesota in a few weeks then Yuma , and san diago and back to nor cal. need to be up and going fairly quick.
Thanks
Robert
Old 09-06-2009, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try our store here. I think these are a fair traded item.
You can change one at a time in your truck. We had
to grind a little off the underside of valve cover. Look
in search forum you will find a write up.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have heard of people welding an extension to a bottom tap and tapping all of the holes that way without taking the head off, the valve cover will fit fine with the holes bottom tapped. At least mine does. As for best price I'm not sure, when I was looking for mine everyone seemed to be about the same price, but most were out of stock then.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:51 PM

how much needs to be ground on the valve cover to make it sit tight?
Old 09-06-2009, 02:50 PM

My truck is 05 very little. My studs 625 I don't know if that
makes a difference, versus standard studs.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:38 PM

Never had any clearance issues with the valve cover when I put them in my dually. I only ever heard of valve cover issues on the 12v's.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:32 PM

I had two studs that hit the valve cover on my 24 valve. But I never had the head off so I didn't bottom tap the holes. I just ground the valve cover a hair so it didn't toch the stud. But just putting studs on your truck will just be a band aid till you do the head gasket. I have seen that leak lots but I have never seen it get so bad that the truck became undriveable.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:00 PM

The studs shouldn't interfere if you bottom tap....

Now here's a question, you guys do know that 6 of the studs are longer and need to be installed on the exhaust manifold side of the head?
Old 09-06-2009, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by rage_blue
I had two studs that hit the valve cover on my 24 valve. But I never had the head off so I didn't bottom tap the holes. I just ground the valve cover a hair so it didn't toch the stud. But just putting studs on your truck will just be a band aid till you do the head gasket. I have seen that leak lots but I have never seen it get so bad that the truck became undriveable.
NO, i am going to put a .020 over head gasket on when I do it. I am not about to drive across country to pay some one an outrageous price to fix it if it gos all the way...after all that's why its called preventive maintenance
Old 09-06-2009, 08:37 PM

I brought what is called a pulley tap. The tap is 6" long. I have done my 03 buddies 06. Had to grind about 1/4 out of the lower valve cover. Just set the lower base on. You will see the amount that needs to removed. You will get both sides of to tap the block or not tap the block. Its your engine. I took out 1 @ a time. Use wet shop vac to suck out the hole. Then ran tap sucked hole out again. Then went with arp info how torque them. But since your taking the head off you dont need the long tap. Just a regualor bottoming tap.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by rebal
NO, i am going to put a .020 over head gasket on when I do it. I am not about to drive across country to pay some one an outrageous price to fix it if it gos all the way...after all that's why its called preventive maintenance
Any particular reason you are going .020" gasket? You will lose about a point of compression and the injectors will spray out of the bowl with less timing vs. a stock gasket.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:28 PM

Well from what I under stand HO run more timing and I have a full catcher adding timing too so it should bring the timing closer. being a pulling rig with extra heavy loads I dont think you want to much timing? and I was thinking that might be why she let go ? or I might just have my head to far up the tail pipe sucking the meth out?
Old 09-07-2009, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
Any particular reason you are going .020" gasket? You will lose about a point of compression and the injectors will spray out of the bowl with less timing vs. a stock gasket.
+1. If the head is not going to get O ringed or more boost is going to be run, there is no point in the .20 thicker gasket..