Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Anyone use RBP fuel additive????

Old 01-17-2005, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone use RBP fuel additive????

I was at the parts store today and they tried to turn me on to "RBP Diesel Fuel Additive". Does anyone use this stuff and, if so, is it worth the $20?

The guy gave me literature on it. Says it cleans fuel injection system, disperses water, lubricates cylinder walls, reduces exhaust smoke, controls waxing/gelling, prevents algae and acid and decarbonizes combustion chamber. I guess one bottle conditions 500 gallons of fuel.

Being that it lubricates, do you think this would help the VP???

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 01-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never heard of it.

Check the ingredients, and if it contains alcohol run away, fast.

Alcohol is very much an anti-lube.

Also, any additive that claims to do everything would be suspect in my book.

phox
Old 01-17-2005, 07:22 PM

It says "no alcohol" in the literature I got from the salesperson.

It's available in "standard and high performance."
Here's a link to their website: http://www.rollingbigpower.com/products/?sfID1=12

There was a display at the store showing three different additives, one of which was RBP. There were three vials containing a mixture of the additive and water. Two of them, Lucas (I think that was the name) and another (???), you could clearly see the water and additive seperated (water on the bottom). The RBP looked like straight additive! You could shake up the three vials, but only the RBP did not seperate. The salesperson told me RBP completely coats the water molecules, making them safe to pass through the engine. I guess it is made locally here in Southern California.

I am in no way affiliated with the makers of this product, just stumbled across it and thought I'd look into it further.

The claims they make sound like it's worth a try! What do you think?

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 01-17-2005, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by piperca
It says "no alcohol" in the literature I got from the salesperson.

There was a display at the store showing three different additives, one of which was RBP. There were three vials containing a mixture of the additive and water. Two of them, Lucas (I think that was the name) and another (???), you could clearly see the water and additive seperated (water on the bottom). The RBP looked like straight additive! You could shake up the three vials, but only the RBP did not seperate. The salesperson told me RBP completely coats the water molecules, making them safe to pass through the engine.

Cheers,
Andrew
__________________________________________________ _

Thats the same claim Howes makes and I used to think it was a great idea untill I went to Piers and he said he really didnt like the idea of running any water thru todays injectors and fuel pumps? I still run the Howes as I bought a bunch but it got me thinking(this is were the trouble starts ) maybe I should be looking at other options once I run out. I know Howes has been around a long time but the new diesels today are not the same old animals of yesterday. Many new components with much closer tolerances then before so.... Hope others will comment on this.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:38 AM

I've got an email into the company to get more information (test results, etc.). I'll post anything I get back.

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 01-18-2005, 10:31 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I personally tend to shy away from products whose claims I find too good to be true, they usually are.
Better to stick with one of the well established brands, there's plenty out there. You can be sure if there is ever some additive technological breakthrough that the established companies will be right on it with their own formulations.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:52 AM

I have had good luck with the howes and alot of truckers do to.I dont think its a good idea to run water through your pump either but its going to happen sooner or later so I figure its best to have something in there to try and help with it.I havent found any additive yet that will remove it from the tank about all of them say they encapsulate it .
Old 01-18-2005, 12:17 PM

A quick edit to my original post:

The two products I mentioned, that were compared in the vials to "RBP", were "Lucas" and "Stanadyne." I believe they are both popular products.

I'm new to owning a Cummins and am looking for a good product that will keep my engine healthy!

I've got a fuel pressure gauge on order from "Geno's", but it's going to take approximately three weeks to get (back ordered!).

Cheers,
Andrew

Update:

Just spoke with Roland at "RBP" and he told me they have only been marketing the product for a little over a year. Recently, the product was highlighted on "Two Guys" and they have had an overwhelming response. They are a "family owned and run" company and are committed to customer service. He told me, after extensive testing, they have had their best success with the Cummins. They use guys that work these trucks (towing hay trailers, etc.) to do their testing.

The product allows the water in the fuel to be seperated, but "encapsulates and lubricates" the remaining water, so it can be passed through the engine safely.

Roland told me I'd be blown away by the results if I tried it ... so I think I'll do just that!
Old 11-11-2012, 03:20 PM

Hello. We use RBP regularly in our 2006 Dodge Ram deisel 2500 (with a tow package). Our deisel mechanic recommended it a long time ago. We use it every fill up. This has been a great decision for us. As well as keeping our trucks engine clean and moving smoothly our fuel mileage has soared. We broke in at 20 miles to the gallon, and using RBP we got 28 miles to the gallon from Red Bluff California to Sacramento at 65 mph. We were amazed. We get 24 average traveling hill and valley. Of course the Ram itself has a lot to do with the mileage but main point is we went from 20 to 24/28.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I'd like to see some more evidence of dramatic fuel economy gains.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:05 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sorry folks that last one in here that posted was a Distributor for the product trying to drum up sales.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:23 PM

Thanks.
When things seem too good to be true they usually are.
That being said,if the product's that effective conclusive testing would make them very wealthy.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:32 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I personally don't know anything about it but I am all for actual users discussing it...pretty easy to see who is just hawking it for a buck though
Old 04-01-2015, 10:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just tried brand X and my milage went from 6 mpg to 38 mpg...but I'm not affiliated with brand X

Truck U on Velocity channel is hawking some brand of snake oil that claims to eliminate "Stiction". The stuff may be the holey grail of the diesel world but when they make up words to promote a product I have to wonder.

I use a little 2 cycle every couple of tanks to make up for the ULSD and occaisional Amsoil additives to stop gelling, but otherwise pump fuel has been working just fine.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:23 AM

The Powerstroke's are very sensitive to clean oil. That product seems to have merit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone use RBP fuel additive????