Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Any one running out of fuel fast on a draw straw?

Old 09-12-2009, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any one running out of fuel fast on a draw straw?

So i did a draw straw and holly blue pump on my 02 cummins yesterday and ive herd lots about fuel problems running out at 1/4 tank. So me and a buddy pulled the sending unit apart and gutted it. I ran a 1/2 return back in to the canister and cut the draw straw in half, put a piece of rubber 5/8 hose in between it and back in to the drawstraw. I ran all this down into the pick up canister, i can run this truck bone dry with not one spuder or 1/4 tank problems. Works wonders for those of you that have problems with this!!
Old 09-13-2009, 03:13 PM

i have had no problem with mine an have been way lower than a 1/4 but it depends were u put it and how far from the bottom you leave it
Old 09-13-2009, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by tx02
So i did a draw straw and holly blue pump on my 02 cummins yesterday and ive herd lots about fuel problems running out at 1/4 tank. So me and a buddy pulled the sending unit apart and gutted it. I ran a 1/2 return back in to the canister and cut the draw straw in half, put a piece of rubber 5/8 hose in between it and back in to the drawstraw. I ran all this down into the pick up canister, i can run this truck bone dry with not one spuder or 1/4 tank problems. Works wonders for those of you that have problems with this!!
reason you dont run out of fuel is, most of the 1/4 issues with draw straws is that they/we have a 100+GPH pump that circulates so much fuel. Your holly wont run out cause it aint moving any fuel, and likely you dont have a return fron the holly back to the tank.

as an example I had an AD fail on me last yr and plumbed my stocker back in where the AD was and I had NO fuel pressure drops or 1/4 issues, put the AD back in and If I stop hard or fast with less than 1/4 my Edge will beep and I have fuel pressure drops

my 2 cents