Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Another P-pump - 24valve conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another P-pump - 24valve conversion

A real good friend of mine did a p-pump conversion onto a 24 valve, which had a bad VP44 (rare eh? )

i took some pics: here they are:

Pictures link

Last edited by 12valve; 06-14-2006 at 11:30 PM. Reason: 34
Old 06-14-2006, 08:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody who does a P-Pump conversion earns my earnest respect.

I love to see big modifications like this being done.

(And, um, pictures don't work...)
Old 06-14-2006, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Begle1
(And, um, pictures don't work...)
sorry guys!

just hit refresh in your internet browser! worked for me!

workin link
Old 06-15-2006, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice work...wish mine was like that
Old 06-15-2006, 07:31 AM

how difficult was it, also was it one of the kits that are available? I am in the process of getting my cash together to do this conversion.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by storx
how difficult was it, also was it one of the kits that are available? I am in the process of getting my cash together to do this conversion.

Ok that guy did it for the first time! he figured out most by himself!

No kit here!

*A shop machined a stock 24valve gear case, modified it, so the P-pump will bolt on, and fit in... $200 + core.
the mayor work is to put it on, you gotta take out camshaft and everything!
*home made brackets to hold the pump.
*moved the fuel filter a little more to the back of the engine! so the pump fits.
*He bent the stock 24 valve fuel lines by himself, to fit onto the ppump, with a homemade inj line bender! lines lookin good! free!
*P-pump $500
*12valve pump timing gear $100
*shut off solenoid $200

all gauges work!

thats all i can think off right now!

he had the motor running in less then 24 hrs
Old 06-15-2006, 05:39 PM

so this guy put a 12v pump on his 24v engine i have heard of this but never seen it done what did this do to his mileage did it hurt it or help it or about the same i know this could potentially help power because he could turn up the fuel pump
Old 06-15-2006, 05:56 PM

Whats he running for a lift pump? Why did he have to pull the cam?
Old 06-15-2006, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by 12valve
Ok that guy did it for the first time! he figured out most by himself!

No kit here!

*A shop machined a stock 24valve gear case, modified it, so the P-pump will bolt on, and fit in... $200 + core.
the mayor work is to put it on, you gotta take out camshaft and everything!
*home made brackets to hold the pump.
*moved the fuel filter a little more to the back of the engine! so the pump fits.
*He bent the stock 24 valve fuel lines by himself, to fit onto the ppump, with a homemade inj line bender! lines lookin good! free!
*P-pump $500
*12valve pump timing gear $100
*shut off solenoid $200

all gauges work!

thats all i can think off right now!

he had the motor running in less then 24 hrs

machined the stock 24 valve cover interesting.. i wander what i need to know to have a local shop near me do this. Also you said custom brackets to hold the pump? can you describe or show pictures of these.. i thought the timing cover was what it bolted to. also the lines he bent himself but what did he have to chaneg to have them screw onto the pump?? also the ppump you picked up for 500.00 is that used or new price?? i not looked into buying one yet.... i have about 2200.00 to spend on this project and the cheaper the better.. I am still trying to get more details so i will have the knowledge to get it done the first time right.. Also i run a FASS system so im guessing i cant use this due to the ppump needs what 40+psi???
Old 06-15-2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by storx
machined the stock 24 valve cover interesting.. i wander what i need to know to have a local shop near me do this. Also you said custom brackets to hold the pump? can you describe or show pictures of these.. i thought the timing cover was what it bolted to. also the lines he bent himself but what did he have to chaneg to have them screw onto the pump?? also the ppump you picked up for 500.00 is that used or new price?? i not looked into buying one yet.... i have about 2200.00 to spend on this project and the cheaper the better.. I am still trying to get more details so i will have the knowledge to get it done the first time right.. Also i run a FASS system so im guessing i cant use this due to the ppump needs what 40+psi???

You dont have to have custom built pump brackets you can just use the one for the 12v motor they will boltup. what I did is I bought a complete 12v core for $500 at the wrecking yard. then you have everything you need except for a cam and injector lines. if you have $2200 to spend then you have enough to do it IF your doing it yourself. Yeah and the FASS isnt going to cut it you can find an aeromotive pump that runs 40+ but if I were you id just run the mech lift pump and a new cam. JMO

Jake
Old 06-15-2006, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
Whats he running for a lift pump? Why did he have to pull the cam?
You have to pull the cam to remove the timng gear case.

Jake
Old 06-15-2006, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by cummnz4x4pwr
Yeah and the FASS isnt going to cut it you can fun an aeromotive pump that runs 40+ but if I were you id just run the mech lift pump and a new cam.

Jake
Hey looks like I screwed up here ther is a post that Diesel Dan just made saying that here are springs and such for your FASS to make them run more pressure. so id shoot him a pm and see if it would work with your FASS.

jake
Old 06-16-2006, 12:15 AM

NICE! How does the truck run with the p-pump? Is it streetable? How muck power does it have compared to the vp?
Old 06-16-2006, 12:30 AM

crisko182: Yeah, he did it mainly, cuz his vp44 was about to go out... And this 12valve pumps are a lot more reliable!
as for fuel mileage, no numbers yet!! He just finished it when i talked to him!

Tate: He used the stock 24 valve lift pump. makin 15 psi. I told him he need more fuel pressure... I have no idea what he will put on then!
He pulled the cam, to replace the timing gear cover! (with another machined 24valve cover) sorry should have taken a pic before it went on! nice job!

storx: Not sure though what all it needs to rebend bend them. All i know is, he bent them all strait, and started from new. the lines r too long, which have to be bent in kinda circles to use them all! you can see that in my pic, on top of the block on the back side of the engine! Someone actually asked him where he bought the fuel lines
but you can always get the inj fuel lines, ready for a 24v ppump swap from Haisley or Sheids
*$500 is for a used pump!
*the P-pump needs about 25 - 30 psi... thats what a mecanical lift pump puts out!

cummnz4x4powr: what kinda pump is this: "you can fun an aeromotive pump that runs 40+"... ??

mvanhelden:
The truck runs great with the Ppump, of course it is completly streetable! The pump is like stock! does smoke only like a stock 12valve! The owner of the truck said it had more power then before with the vp44! all he wanted was reliability!
Old 06-16-2006, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by 12valve
cummnz4x4powr: what kinda pump is this: "you can fun an aeromotive pump that runs 40+"... ??
It is a High pressure pump used in a lot of Street-Super Street Drag cars it is easily capable of 40+ psi you can find them @ Jegs or Summit. The manufacturer of the pump is aeromotive they make a lot of high flow A/n fuel fittings and what not.

jake

Quick Reply: Another P-pump - 24valve conversion