Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Airbags work poorly in my application.... Torklift Stable Loads are awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbags work poorly in my application.... Torklift Stable Loads are awesome!

Thought I would ping others to see if there are common experiences...

I tow a 37' 10,000 lb dry weight fifth wheel with my 02 Ram 3500 Dually 1 ton 2 WD Auto. Airbags helped to level it out under the ~1800 lb pin wt.

However, when we hit large bumps or dips, the rebound was so significant that I could feel the weight of the trailer lift completely off the hitch. Made for a real interesting ride.

It was greatly improved by reducing air pressure, but some sag resulted.

Torklift Stable Loads were purchased and installed on upper overloads by me after some internet research. (They are basically over sized bump stops) After our first run, immediate improvement in level ride. Stability and ride were so much better...I mean night and day! After some experimenting it became apparent that zero air pressure in bags is the best setting, as ALL of my rebound is coming from bags.

I love the ride when loaded, hate it when empty as my upper overloads are always engaged. This application requires bolting the new bump stops right through the OEM stops as they are molded to the perch, not easily removed. I've considered cutting off the OEM stops to reduce contact by 2" or so, but have concerns that more sag will result before contact with overload springs.

I've ordered a set of lower Stable Loads as the next step. These install between the main spring pack and lower overloads, and can be disengaged easily when empty:
Truck Camper Suspension - truck sway - truck sag - reduce camper roll | StableLoad

Since the lower overloads are stronger the effect is supposed to be even greater. It may be that I go back to the OEM bump stops on top and run with just the lower Stable Loads, or run both and take the time to remove the top ones when empty.

I'll try and post an update after test of the lower Stable Loads.

Anyone else have experience with these?
Old 03-30-2015, 08:01 AM
Starter Sponsor

Just curious. How much air pressure were you trying to run in the bags?
Old 03-30-2015, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by AirLiftCompany
Just curious. How much air pressure were you trying to run in the bags?
I tried everything from 80 psi down to 5 psi.

Airbags have always worked well for me in other applications, so I have to admit to some confusion over this. There's got to be something more than just the airbags at fault here and I hope to continue to investigate.

Someone has got to be able to point out what might be causing so much rebound....
Old 03-30-2015, 12:01 PM
Starter Sponsor

Yea something just does not sound right, bags should not be rebounding like that.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Match the spring rate (or air pressure) to the load of course.. but you need shocks with rebound damping matched close to the spring rate or you will get that 'pogo' effect.
Supposedly ping tanks can help with the abruptness of the spring action. Never tried it.
Problem with these trucks is theyre not always loaded.
Maybe 2 sets of shocks with adjustable rebound?
Old 04-01-2015, 06:59 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
You moved the center of load to directly over the axle which should give a better ride. I second the shocks being too weak or worn out.

My truck pulls a 13K Seaswirl like a dream since I added the airbags and air them to about 75 psi
Old 04-01-2015, 08:38 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
I have Timbrens which are basically the same as what you just purchased. I tow a 14k-15k 5th wheel with a pin weight of around 3000 so I obviously needed extra support. I chose Timbrens over airbags for my own person preference reasons too.

So excluding my opinion of Airbags verses Timbrens (and like products), I agree with everyone else that it certainly sounds like your shocks are either not strong enough or they're worn out.

Most people think that by adding airbags they increase support and maintain the cushy ride but in reality thats not what you want. A firm support is best and it also helps with chucking. That said, if your shocks are weak then they cant dampen the rebound movement of the suspension and you'll get what you experienced.

Most people really like Bilstein shocks but I chose the Rancho 9000's because I wanted their adjustability so I could run them soft while unloaded and firm them up tight when I'm towing. Seems to work for my setup.