Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

4" headpipe install

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4" headpipe install

After years of putting it off, I bought a 4" exhaust for the 95. To help with any drone I've wrapped it with fiberglas header tape.

Now to the point of this thread, I can't get the dang headpipe in place. I've twisted, turned, fussed, cussed and it just won't go.

I installed a 4"system on a bud's 2001 a couple years ago with no problems.
The tape I put on mine does increase the diameter a bit, but I'm not sure that's the whole problem.

Since the hanger that's part of the rear transmission mount is one of the main interference points, I'm seriously considering cutting it off. Then put everything in place and weld the hanger back. It's either that or pull the turbo and try going in from the top.

Anyone else had this issue, if so what was your solution?

Thanks,
RR
Old 09-25-2009, 11:07 PM

if i remember correctly i had some trouble getting the down pipe in on my truck. I took of the elbo on the turbo, it allowed for more room and allowed me to change the elbo angle. When i got the down pipe in place i put the elbo on the turbo loosely and attached the down pipe to the elbo loosely then tightened everything up. It worked for me.

also you might try getten your truck higher in the air, maybe making it easyer to fanagle it in.

good luck, matt

O, just saw the 35/40 hx in your sig, does that have the elbo on the back of the turbo ?
Old 09-26-2009, 12:44 AM

I don't even use the hanger by the trans, i find it tears the exhuast pipe apart where the hanger is welded to the pipe, not a big deal but when I cut the hanger in half to pull the tranny i decided it wasn't worth putting back on so I patched the tear and cut the whole hanger off.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:50 PM

Well, to cap off the topic. This morning fresh from a good nights rest, I put a jack under the transmission, pulled the rear trans. mount out. After that You could almost throw the downpipe in place.

If anyone has problems getting one in snaked up to the turbo this only takes a few minutes and saves lots of frustration.

Thanks,

RR
Old 09-26-2009, 09:13 PM

12v Rollincoal,
This might be a bit differant cause I have a 24v.. but I had to use that elbow you asked about on my 35/40 hybrid with 4in piped. Just FYI.