Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

when you get 7k lbs stuck...you're STUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 08:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
when you get 7k lbs stuck...you're STUCK!

took a back road to miss some of the traffic out in town (florida evacuee's)

went by a buddy's house, he's got 4wd and plays around his roads. he's not got anything real big. or so I thought.

stand of water about 25 feet long, 10 feet wide, grass on both sides about a foot into the water. can't be too deep, huh?

just going slow. bump bump be-dump it SANK on the passenger side!
I had it in 4hi, so I just punched it, and the rear end just sank further in.

it felt like the pass front tire hit a stump or something. dead stop.

I guess there is no LSD or Posi in the front, because the front Driver side tire was not turning. The driver rear tire was turning, I could see the tread and some of the sidewall. both passenger tires were underwater & churning it up!

I tried to back out before it sank more, but it just sat there & sank lower.

luckily, my kid and her BF were out in their K5, and came pulled me out.
I got the honor of wading in the muck to chain them up.

ABS & Brake lights stayed on till I power washed it underneath. brakes were full of muck.

water & mud & sand were up to the rubber trim thing on the pass doors. had to open the doors & power wash in there.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't had this truck off road but when I had my 92 W250 CTD it got stuck everytime it went off road. I even had 33s on it with a really aggressive tread pattern. I learned my lesson real quick....
Old 09-10-2004, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got mine stuck 3 months after I bought it.

Went on a trail I took my Tacoma on many times without a problem.
Little itty bitty patch of mud and I sunk like a rock.

Stock tires, stock suspension, had to hoof it a mile or so till I found a kindly F150 owner with a shovel.

Broke my tow strap I bought for the Tacoma twice before he yanked me out.

I now have a 30,000# strap, front attachment points, 12,000# winch, much better tires (not mudders, but still much better) and always have a shovel with me.

phox
Old 09-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Muted User

What tires were you running? What caused the abrubt stop, ditch, hole?
Old 09-10-2004, 11:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
all stock, off road package. BIG hole.

Someone had been stuck there before, and dug it out for me. felt like it hit something solid underwater, it just got stopped by the pass side front tire.

ground down here is all soft sand, it just sank farther the more I spun.
i can make huge ruts just by driving thru the yard when it's dry down here.

there was a ton of ruts and potholes & shallow places when I was walking around in it. over my knees in spots, ankle deep most spots.

I've had it in some deep water with a hard bottom, and on the beach (just keep moving fast in the sugar sand till you get to the hard pack)
no problems. maybe over confident?

and I never expected it to be THAT deep.
tks for the advise Phox, but i think i'll keep my silly a$$ on the concrete from now.

laughing stock of the whole county by now.
word spreads fast in a small town, when a $4k Blazer pulls out a $40k diesel.

oh well.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:51 PM
Banned

Only time mine's been stuck is when I let my friend drive it. He tried to idle through a mud hole in 4lo with the stock tires on it. That didn't work. Since then, I've never gotten stuck. I've gone through stuff that my friends with gassers and mud tires have gone through and never had a problem (and I have all terrains). It's all in the right foot.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:16 AM

sunk my 2000 more times than I can count.

yes, the right foot can help, however all it got me was the cops called (2nd gen straight pipe )

gonna have to do my best not to wheel this one
Old 09-11-2004, 12:46 PM

Yep, got mine stuck 3 months after i got it. Driving through a field after alot of rain she started slipping so i put it in 4hi and she just sunk after that. I left it there over night and came back with a 4x4 tractor that wouldnt budge it. Ended up using the ****** block method with the tractor to finnaly get it out. Mud was above the front axle. Bumper was on the ground. Only thing holding up the rear the the axle on the ground.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat/500/page/1
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat/500/page/1
Old 09-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Muted User

Yes, when these truck get stuck, they get STUCK!!! Here are shots of my Father In Law's F350. The truck was burried. I didn't ever think we were going to get him out of that. He actually has nerf bars on that truck, but you couldnt tell.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/atta...&stc=1&thumb=1

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/atta...&stc=1&thumb=1

When wheeling in a 7500 lb truck make sure you have heavy duty straps. 10K & 20K just wont cut it. To be safe, you need 30K lb in my opinion. Don't just go by the break strength of the strap, which is always shown. You should buy a strap according to its normal working load, which is the recommendation of the manufacturer. A 10K lb strap only has a safe working load of ~5K lbs. A 20K lb strap only has a working load of 7-10K lb. A 30K lb strap has a working load of ~15K lbs which should be a good starting point.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:01 PM

I know that sinking feeling well. Working 400km from the closest town. I took the company truck(97 CTD 4x4 LB) off the main road and along the powerline we were building. Looked hard on the surface but once I broke through the crust it was too soft. Sank it to the front axle, once there it wasn't coming out by hand. First truck that came along was an F-150, hmmm couldn't even budge it. Had to call the mine that was 10km away and ask them to send a backhoe to pull me out. Thankfully he was able to pull me out with out breaking anything. Then had to drive the 2 hours back to camp. Funny the only thing I was told before going out in the morning was "Don't get stuck".

Now I'm very careful where I take my truck. I will always remember how fast the front end can sink.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:51 AM

Got my rig stuck in the grass in my back yard. Had the rig in the shop, loaded up some steel and pulled out late in the afternoon. We were having freezing nights and thaws during the day. Got out in the grass and it just sank in about 6 inches. I did not rev it up to dig it in any deeper. Went in the house, had a few beverages, dinner, and went to bed. The next morning was crisp and cold. I jacked up the four wheels, placed some steel plate over the wheel holes frozen in the ground and drove out.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:43 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I thought folks would like to know this...
dodgeram, a member of this site is winning the mud bogs in northern Saskatchewan. Folks are asking him if its a diesel.

He is on his way here today for some o-ringing.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:55 AM

Cooool
Scotty if he's got any pic's post them. Mud slinging 101: how not to get your Ram stuck.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:00 PM
Banned

Old 09-14-2004, 12:39 PM

well I won 1st place in stock class (anything with 35" or smaller tires), I got 285's, showed those lifted chevy's on 35's how a real truck goes

got a trophy and 100 bucks ...... I'll get some pics up next week when I'm home ....having too much fun at scotty's right now

that and my camera cables are at home ........

well off to see if they got the head of my truck .......

Quick Reply: when you get 7k lbs stuck...you're STUCK!