Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Thanksgiving Breakroom 22-29

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 04:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Another day made up of thinking "Why am I the only one to see the problems of sending 25% of the force to attend training at the same time?" I get the honor of a another 16 hour shift next Tuesday. Think I'm going to have a strong conversation with the Military Superintendent when he returns from leave..... Sure am glad I really truly like my job!

Spoke to the Dad of the 10 year old that shot the 9 point. Son is getting full shoulder mount and matching hoof rifle racks. Nice clean harvest with no messed up meat.

Saw my old 08 yesterday. I knew it was mine from the particular stickers on it. Looked to be running good. Still unsure I made the right decision on that one, but enough parts in 2 years to equal the value of the truck, hmmmm.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:03 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by sherod
Another day made up of thinking "Why am I the only one to see the problems of sending 25% of the force to attend training at the same time?" I get the honor of a another 16 hour shift next Tuesday. Think I'm going to have a strong conversation with the Military Superintendent when he returns from leave..... Sure am glad I really truly like my job!

Spoke to the Dad of the 10 year old that shot the 9 point. Son is getting full shoulder mount and matching hoof rifle racks. Nice clean harvest with no messed up meat.

Saw my old 08 yesterday. I knew it was mine from the particular stickers on it. Looked to be running good. Still unsure I made the right decision on that one, but enough parts in 2 years to equal the value of the truck, hmmmm.
I think ya screwed up. Just when you got everything fixed, you gave it away.

It's like the 96 Honda I got about 3 grand into so far. I was feeling a bit abused when I laid under it to investigate a suspension noise in back. All the metal parts are still painted and in their original shape. When I get the last coupla bugs shot out of it, it's going to take me years to wear/rust it out. I can fix a few things for reliable 12 cents a mile transportation.

Same with my truck. Have to keep after it for maintenance, but I can hook up to the train (recreation double) and drive off into the sunset at any time and expect no real trouble.

Learned a new trick today. Plastic headlights on the Honda were all cruddy and yellow. the Mechanic told me to try some Deep Woods Off on it. I tried isopropyl alcohol first, no effect. Then WD-40, very little improvement. The OFF cleaned it right up. Browned several rags in the process. Except for a few scratches, they look like new.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:30 AM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my winterizing is done. washer fluid, lube, filled cab with blankets, shovel, gloves, hats and snacks. oh and jumper cables and a chain for the fords....

balmy 21 degrees and sunny. frost on ground, ice coming to pond and deer to the pear trees. think animal popsickles......

did chores last night for farmer doing his roof (I am not getting on a snowy steel roof) looked like a busted teen ager party when I couldn't find the chickens, geese, ducks, and sheep for feeding. slid open the ice house door and they were all cuddled together and looking........well, sheepish.

stay safe scottycanuck and all those in nasty weather.

going to be 60 friday here. cannot believe this weather.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:09 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Morning all. Made coffee and some other stuff (ph00?) for y'all that are freezing up north. It was cool down here this morning, but in the last hour the temperature has doubled, so is already quite nice. It's expected to hit 27C later this afternoon.

Slightly ahead of schedule for a change, so am sitting down for a slow coffee before heading out.

One of my chores this morning is to pick up the drivers seat that I took in to be reupholstered. It is out of an old Topaz that the orphanage uses. They had to strip it down to the bare frame, replace some broken springs, replace all the foam and new upholstery. All quality material. Total cost US$91. Not too bad.

Heidi, please keep that stuff called frost and ice up your way. We have no use for that garbage down here.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:08 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Ph00............HELP............Ph00.............. ........................AAHHH............

OK, now I will talk. ......sip...........just came in from lanai, enjoying the morning sun, gentle breeze - - the "gossipers" were in the back making noise. They are something - - very tame. Sat a while to soak it all up - - in tee shirt and shorts. Tough life. .............

Originally Posted by j_martin
Learned a new trick today. Plastic headlights on the Honda were all cruddy and yellow. the Mechanic told me to try some Deep Woods Off on it. I tried isopropyl alcohol first, no effect. Then WD-40, very little improvement. The OFF cleaned it right up. Browned several rags in the process. Except for a few scratches, they look like new.
Hey, tried it an hour ago. Definitely took off the yellow with no work. Nice. Did not touch the oxidation of course, but bought me a bit of time before the mini-buffer comes out. Thanks.

Refill..................................back to lanai with the laptop and enjoy.

LazyBob
Old 11-25-2015, 02:43 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Hi folks hope you all have great plans for tomorrow Been kinda scarce lately had a family friend in the hospital dying, we lost him last night....neat guy WWII Vet the last couple years had been tough on him.

Dialysis couple times a week kept him sick all the time and at the end by accident they found pancreatic cancer had already spread to his liver....doc just said "no more dialysis no need to put him through any more suffering".

We left the hospital long enough for me to take my wife out for dinner (her birthday) and we got the call at the restaurant he was slipping fast....bad time but so glad he is no longer suffering.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Lary- Sorry for your loss. Not many of that age left. Have recently had the honor of speaking to a few.

Looks like a busy day tomorrow as I am on the "Chow Committee" for the guys working shift. After leaving there, 100 miles South to Daughter's. After eating (and a nap most likely) back to our place. Glad I have Friday off.

Have a safe and rewarding Thanksgiving!
Old 11-25-2015, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Hi folks hope you all have great plans for tomorrow Been kinda scarce lately had a family friend in the hospital dying, we lost him last night....neat guy WWII Vet the last couple years had been tough on him.
Lary -- sorry for your, and his families, loss. Tough. Nice when the tears stop, suddenly you start remembering the great times and the funny times - - then some laughter can erupt. I am sure you were a great comfort and support for him during this time. God Bless and comfort you and the family is my prayer.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:36 PM
REALLY old dog

Have a Happy thanksgiving everyone !
Old 11-26-2015, 06:02 AM

Wow - - - Old Goat showed up today - - - welcome back, rascal.

Fresh coffee and ph00 for y00 along with fresh baked pumpkin bread.

Have a wonderful day.

Bob
Old 11-26-2015, 09:07 AM
DTR Mom

zooooom! Stan, I will do my best to push back the Northern frost from the South, hehehe

sunny, 39 nice!! Hello! to the Michigan hooligan Claude! hope all your family is well!

Fiver and Sherod, just wait for the food to hit the table. be safe in all aspects. no drinking and dining.........

Larry, glad to have ya back Topper! yes, timing. HB to your DW!!
no more suffering is right! An Angels welcome for sure, truly The greastest generation......reading up on the history of my units in the Army( 1st army 82nd airborne/42nd Inf rainbow division HHQ 206th MPs, now it is under 53rd troop special operations EOD. motto is we run faster) kidding. tough to be 'special'.....

two pies and some deer cookies baking....little ammo cookies as well.
one group of hunters out today in a field ( 14-18 y.o.s) another group in on Friday here in the mountainside. One observed, now I know why they yell timber....(city guy HA!)
Old 11-26-2015, 11:25 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Sorry about your friend Lary. My WWII friend use to tell some very interesting stories. Miss that.
Happy turkey day DTR denizens. Unseasonably warm and very windy. Been in the 40°s and up to 50°. All our snow has melted away and now rain for today and tomorrow. Monday and Tuesday where treacherous with the melting snow turning to ice then gone completely by Wednesday morning. So warm the spiders are out in force around the house. Going to take Roxie for a walk when it gets light.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:44 PM

BURP!!!!

Oh my goodness - - - please excuse me. How horrible. ............

NOT!!!!!!!!!! Boy it was good. And that pumpkin pie blondie baked was fantastic. Had two.

Something to settle stuff down................................

Uhhh, where are TUMS - none in the cupboard.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:55 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Hey Olde Tymer, thanks for the coffee. Spoon kinda warped a bit when I stirred it. Reminds me of my Navy days.

Originally Posted by j_martin
Originally Posted by FiverBob
Hey, tried it an hour ago. Definitely took off the yellow with no work. Nice. Did not touch the oxidation of course, but bought me a bit of time before the mini-buffer comes out. Thanks.

LazyBob
I guess it's a temporary fix. It works because the deet in the repellant actually softens the plastic. It'll also wreck havoc with anything rubber, paint, etc. We put that on our skin to ward off mosquitoes. We must be nuts.

I think that done carefully it's a good first step. Then wash off the deet, let it cure and harden for a week, then go at it with abrasives. At least it gets rid of the dirt and wax that was in the way.

When I went to the Thanksgiving shindig at church last night I noticed that the head lights were much more effective, and low beam was carved off like it should be instead of all over the back of the next car.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:11 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
43° and rain. Wife cooked up a great big ham, some yams (not the best idea, they give me gas), and a home made apple pie. Roxie tried to catch some birds, but it was just too windy. Spent the rest of the day going through our 72hr kits and watching "Home Alone" movies.

Quick Reply: Thanksgiving Breakroom 22-29