Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

New Year break room, Jan 1 - Jan 7 2017

Old 01-04-2017, 06:43 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Morning all. Just got back from a company mess night, field-ish style. We have a really nice beach on this base, so we had a semi formal dinner out there tonight. Part of it is fun, calling each other out on dumb stuff we've done or imitating each other in good nature, but the last part of it is honoring our history. We give a toast for each major battle that America has fought since its founding... pretty impressive and heartfelt stuff.

Hope everyone is well. Keep the shiny side up.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:33 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Good to see you Mad.
all is well in the Arctic flatlands
Old 01-04-2017, 05:33 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Originally Posted by Scotty
Good to see you Mad.
all is well in the Arctic flatlands
Scotty... good to see you too. Sorry that you're in the arctic... Okinawa is great this time of year, we're at 65 for a low and 75 for a high most days...
Old 01-05-2017, 05:08 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
New day - - - new opportunities - - new challenges. Can't whip them laying in bed. Up and atum, gang. Fresh coffee and ph00 on the counter along with blueberry pancakes. .......................

Me off to the glaucoma man - - don't want to hear what I think he is going to say. ............................
Old 01-05-2017, 07:49 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Good morning.
my LEGGS are frozen but they look awesome all red white and blue. In honor of olive ewe in Trump to Be Land.
My Elder Twins pins are similar in looks from his knees to his shins. Ooo la la
Old 01-06-2017, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Scotty
Good morning.
my LEGGS are frozen but they look awesome all red white and blue. In honor of olive ewe in Trump to Be Land.
My Elder Twins pins are similar in looks from his knees to his shins. Ooo la la
Is this love, infatuation, blindness or stupidness? I don't know about you two - - think you need another cup of ph00 and meditate a bit. Soooooo, I made you a fresh pot of flavoured ph00 today (and even spelled flavoured by Canadian methods - - am I not a neat guy????).

Also made fresh coffee for you others and left some fresh blueberry muffins on the table - - getum before the dragon do.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:18 PM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
-13° cold and clear. All our bad weather is going up and over us and headed for Canada.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Finally a chance to stop by. Been a busy few days. Took time today to go help a neighbor on a framing job. 13 degrees out, so had to keep moving to stay warm so we got lots of stuff accomplished. Looking for 0 or so for temps tonight. We got our first snow of the year and yes, everyone forgot how to drive......
Old 01-06-2017, 05:24 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Originally Posted by sherod
Finally a chance to stop by. Been a busy few days. Took time today to go help a neighbor on a framing job. 13 degrees out, so had to keep moving to stay warm so we got lots of stuff accomplished. Looking for 0 or so for temps tonight. We got our first snow of the year and yes, everyone forgot how to drive......
Man, 13 degrees? That sounds pretty bad. It's gonna get pretty bad in NC where the family is this weekend... single digits, ice then snow. My family is well taken care of, but a lot of folks are going to have a hard time because it's unusual.

I want to look at land in the eastern KY area in a few years for a piece of land to retire on...

Mornin/evenin, all. Hope things are well.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:43 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Hey folks...enjoying the cold here...man I love shivering and my knees knocking together, more fun than.....hell what am I saying it sucks!
Old 01-07-2017, 06:30 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Good morning DTR'ers. Coffee and ph00 is fresh and hot. A few assorted cold munchies on the counter. Also some nice Mexican chili flavoured peanuts to warm you up. Not much of a bite to them, but they sure are tasty.

We have been enjoying some unbelievably wonderful weather all week, but today and tomorrow are forecast to be a bit cooler. Tomorrow night may drop down to close to zero, but after the sun comes up, it will warm up again fast. Sounds like I may need a sweater for a few hours to go with my shorts and flip flops. Still use the A/C in the vehicles every day.

Anybody here have any experience with rammed earth? Been looking at this for years but now am involved in helping to get a 3,000 seat church built and the designer wants to use as much rammed earth as possible for all the buildings. Been busy doing all the pre-lab soil experiments here on my patio. Very interesting, but it involves lots of reading and studying.

Still busy with my early morning lime, apple cider vinegar and honey hot drink, but then will grab a coffee and start a busy day.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
-12° and your complaining about +13°?
Old 01-07-2017, 10:34 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Originally Posted by cougar
-12° and your complaining about +13°?

Absolutely! I moved to Mexico to get away from the cold and s**w. Any temperature that goes into a plus single digit or mid teens centigrade number is too cold. My wife puts a sweater on when it gets below about 22c / 71f. Yesterday we had a high of 28c / 82 which was just about perfect in the shade. The direct sun is quite hot and does burn quickly with those temps and this high altitude.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by madhat
It's gonna get pretty bad in NC where the family is this weekend... single digits, ice then snow.
Hey, we all think it is pretty neat. Sitting here in my lanai with laptop wandering the web and looking at the webcams at the ski slopes in Sapphire Valley about 1 mile from the house up there. Gorgeous - - wish I was up there - - for a day or two, then head back here. We had a great lightshow last night along with the drum core. Man, between my sick wife moaning and groaning and all that noise outside, 2 am was it - - finally gave up and got up at 4. Some rain. Going to get down in the 40's tonight, so orchids will come in. They are blooming so purdy - - don't want them to get shy and hide.

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Anybody here have any experience with rammed earth? Been looking at this for years but now am involved in helping to get a 3,000 seat church built and the designer wants to use as much rammed earth as possible for all the buildings. Been busy doing all the pre-lab soil experiments here on my patio. Very interesting, but it involves lots of reading and studying.
What on "earth" is "rammed" earth? Are they talking about compression fill? Been general contractor since '72 and never heard of rammed earth.

Grabbing my ph00 and heading to work some more in the garage. Got a lot done this morning with no one to bother me. L8R.................

Bob
Old 01-07-2017, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by FiverBob
What on "earth" is "rammed" earth? Are they talking about compression fill? Been general contractor since '72 and never heard of rammed earth.
Bob

As far as I know, compression fill is another type of animal. Google 'rammed earth'.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Year break room, Jan 1 - Jan 7 2017